PDA

View Full Version : Is this an indication of a mold too hot?

MKT
11-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Looking for a little insight here.

My last casting session, the last few projectiles had the little vent line fingers. I know my book says that is common in bullets with a high tin content. I am casting from straight wheel weights.

The fingers were small and I was able to scrape them off with my thumbnail. I suspect that since they were from the end of my run my mold might have been getting a little warm, Maybe I'll need to slow down just a touch on my next run.

What say those with more experience? Am I on the right track?

2muchstuf
11-27-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm hardly an expert but I had thes happen to me also.
Slowed the pace. Quick sizzle on a wet rag between casts once the mold is up to temp. Haven't seen it since.
Hope this helps.

HeavyMetal
11-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Yep!

One of the reasons I cast with two molds, except when doing HP's, is for Temp control.

Even though you are using ww metal once you get the mold real hot you can get the little "whiskers" from the vents. This shows your getting good fill out and a heat just under this is what you need. So Ocasional whiskers good, whiskers on every boolit not so good. Cause the next thing that will happen is lead smears on the mold and sprue plate. This can affect how square the boolit bases are if you let it get out of hand.

I've actually dropped the boolits and, with the mold held open, waved it in the air a few times to cool it off. Using two molds, best if the casting the same boolit, gives you some cooling time as well as increased production without over heating the mold.

Bullshop
11-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Not neccessarrely too hot but too much pour pressure.
BIC/BS

454PB
11-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Or there is some foreign object or misalignment preventing the blocks from fully closing. This is a common problem with Lee moulds until you've used them a while and learn their idiosyncrasies.

copdills
11-27-2008, 03:35 PM
I found this to be true also 454PB mostly on the 2-cav's, but like 454PB stated once you see whats happening you can work it out

MKT
11-27-2008, 03:47 PM
This is with an RCBS .410 SWC mold. I don't believe there was anything interfering with mold closure. It was only the couple castings that had the fingers. I was ladle pouring. I'll see if it happens again during my next casting session. Thanks for the input.

missionary5155
11-27-2008, 03:56 PM
MKT WELCOME !! 41 Mag is my FAVORITE revolver caliber !
I think all the basics were covered by the previous... I would not be to concerned.. Sounds like the mold was just getting to that too hot area...
What ya launching your boolits out of ? I have Dan Wesson and Rugers and S&W... And a Marlin.

MKT
11-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Missionary...

I'll be pushing these through my 4" Model 57. Everything I have loaded for it for the past 25 years or so has been JHP or semi-jacketed soft points. Speer no longer makes my favorite soft point so I decided to start casting. Eventually I'll cast for my .44's, .45 Colt and my little guns (.38/.357).