PDA

View Full Version : truck question

redriverhunter
06-06-2020, 09:22 AM
I have a 98 dodge ram truck (gas) when towing or going up a hill and I give it gas the check engine light will come on and start blinking, then go off. I have also noticed that when punching it does not seem to shift, it will get to a bit over 3k rpms the slowly climb not shift until you let off the gas. during this acceleration no real power. (get up and go) any thoughts
thanks rrh

45workhorse
06-06-2020, 09:43 AM
Mileage?
Have you changed the filter and fluid in the transmission?

Tatume
06-06-2020, 09:55 AM
If it were mine, I would take it a shop that can read the diagnostic codes.

smoked turkey
06-06-2020, 10:20 AM
^^^^^What Tatume said.
I limped my 2012 GMC Terrain in from about 6 miles out because I kept ignoring the check engine code. My experience is that it won't heal itself, but will only get worse until it is taken care of. It is probably a sensor somewhere regulating fuel flow. I did buy my own check engine reader and purchased the part off line and it fixed mine entirely.

Buzz Krumhunger
06-06-2020, 10:24 AM
Could it be a plugged up catalytic convertor?

Nueces
06-06-2020, 10:38 AM
I have three vehicles with OBDII diagnostic ports. I carry an inexpensive scan tool adapter in each, such as:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W0SDLRY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This thing plugs into the diagnostic port under the dash and creates it's own wifi signal. With the app installed on my iPhone, I plug in the adapter (key on, motor off), join the wifi channel and open the app. I can read and clear all codes, or use the phone as an extended instrument, with real time readings of temps, rpm, etc.

It helps greatly in making decisions when out on the road, ie, can I make it home or not?

PNW_Steve
06-06-2020, 10:57 AM
I have three vehicles with OBDII diagnostic ports. I carry an inexpensive scan tool adapter in each, such as:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W0SDLRY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This thing plugs into the diagnostic port under the dash and creates it's own wifi signal. With the app installed on my iPhone, I plug in the adapter (key on, motor off), join the wifi channel and open the app. I can read and clear all codes, or use the phone as an extended instrument, with real time readings of temps, rpm, etc.

It helps greatly in making decisions when out on the road, ie, can I make it home or not?

+1

I have one as well but using Android devices instead of iPhone. I love it with one caveat. The extended gauges are handy for full time use in my Dodge diesel but it draws a bit of current when the truck is parked. I went about two weeks without driving it and the battery drained enough that I had to jump start the truck.

Tazlaw
06-06-2020, 11:01 AM
I’ve had several older vehicles not shift when applying a heavy load and punching the gas. Don’t know why this is but it is. As far as the check engine light, ditto on getting the codes read. How long does the light stay lit?

Winger Ed.
06-06-2020, 11:16 AM
Without reading the engine codes, or taking it to someone who works on them a lot-
You'll need to start changing sensors, components, etc. one at a time until it runs right again.

rking22
06-06-2020, 12:44 PM
First thing replace the fuel filter, could be that simple. If I were to guess next would be a cat, lots more money. I have the 15$ code reader and app, definitely would help diagnose, but mine does not go deep like the big systems. If you have a shop you trust, check with them. Note, I do NOT trust dearlerships!

Petrol & Powder
06-06-2020, 01:20 PM
Reading the OBDII codes is certainly a good place to start.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to learn the throttle position sensor is faulty.

smithnframe
06-06-2020, 01:21 PM
Fuel filter!

nawagner
06-06-2020, 01:24 PM
I'm guessing fuel filter. You can also borrow code readers from most auto parts stores or they will read the code for you.

abunaitoo
06-07-2020, 02:44 AM
Check for a code.
Most auto parts stores will do it for free.
Does it idle OK????

wrench
06-07-2020, 09:02 AM
There is only one thing that causes a flashing MIL on an OBDII vehicle-type A misfire. Misfire typically shows up first under load so that makes sense that you see it when towing or going uphill.
Not necessarily an ignition problem, but could be anything that causes a cylinder to not produce power. Some engine computers will also cut out fuel injectors when misfire occurs in an attempt to save the catalytic convertor from damage.
Agree with the others, get the codes read and go from there. Misfire codes are P030x,
The x number is the cylinder number. If the code is P0300, it is called a random misfire, the computer cannot identify a specific cylinder as the problem.

brass410
06-07-2020, 09:36 AM
yep misfire under load can be as minor as fuel quality to engine/electrical issue. Get those codes read and go from there.

Mal Paso
06-07-2020, 10:44 AM
I spent the cost of 1 dealership visit ($700) and bought a used Snap On Ethos scanner. I spent a couple months looking and Snap On was the only company with consistent good reviews. It was the lowest priced unit that would bleed ABS brakes and do invasive tests like shutting off injectors. You get multiple graphic displays of running systems. I found my ABS problem in a couple minutes. The unit has paid for itself already.

Tazlaw
06-07-2020, 10:59 AM
A good scanner is hard to beat. But even a cheap one will give you some information. Check harborfreight.

Cast_outlaw
06-07-2020, 11:20 AM
I agree with getting it scanned but I’d replace fuel filter and plugs any way there cheep and you can do it your self if that don’t fix it then a scan will tell you what it is although if your filter has been restricted for a wile your fuel pump may be dying because it’s struggling to keep fuel pressure up

Handloader109
06-09-2020, 08:08 AM
yep, misfire is most likely. my ford loses a coil every now and then and will usually give me a code when it finally dies. but not before

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Hossfly
06-09-2020, 08:29 AM
Had similar problem,but on a 2012 Ford, dealership couldn’t find problem for 3 months. Finally took truck in with full tank of gas and told them to keep it till it’s fixed. 2 days later they found it to be a high pressure fuel pump, didn’t even know it had one. After that no more problems. I like my ‘48 CJ2 no computer.

Petrol & Powder
06-09-2020, 08:38 AM
Reading the codes is the right place to start. That takes a lot of the diagnostic work out of the equation.
As engine controls became increasingly complex, diagnosing the faults became increasingly difficult. At least with OBD II the engineers recognized the need to identify problems. While OBD II isn't a cure all, it sure is a step in the right direction.

While coil packs do fail and will cause an intermittent misfire, they generally don't fail specifically under load. The OP stated the failure occurs while towing or going uphill. A bad coil pack will just fail intermittently, regardless of the load.
The OP's failure sounds more like a fuel problem. However, the unusual shifting and the fact that it is a Dodge, makes me suspect a throttle position sensor as well. For some reason, Chrysler never seemed to learn how to make a throttle position sensor.

All of this is just speculation. Reading the codes is the right place to start.

Petrol & Powder
06-09-2020, 08:42 AM
.............. I like my ‘48 CJ2 no computer.

/\ Simple is GOOD !

rking22
06-09-2020, 03:38 PM
Seems no one in industry understands KISS any longer. My son hit a bird breaking the headlight lens, 1250$ to replace a headlight! Dealer 1450, two small shops 1250$ cash! 850$ headlight 3.4 hours book labor to get to it!!!! Unbelievable.

snowwolfe
06-09-2020, 03:56 PM
Seems no one in industry understands KISS any longer. My son hit a bird breaking the headlight lens, 1250$ to replace a headlight! Dealer 1450, two small shops 1250$ cash! 850$ headlight 3.4 hours book labor to get to it!!!! Unbelievable.

That’s covered under your insurance comp coverage. We carry 0 ded with St Farm and it only adds about $16 every six months to the premium.

rking22
06-09-2020, 05:18 PM
Our insurance covered it, not the point. Point is that a traditionally simple repair is now a moon shot! Insurance companies ARE going to make money and those kinds of repair cost will lead to a notable increase on that type coverage, over the long haul for everyone.

kylocdoc
06-09-2020, 05:33 PM
If you have no acces to a scanner, you can go to most auto parts places and they will scan for free.

Idaho45guy
06-09-2020, 06:23 PM
Our insurance covered it, not the point. Point is that a traditionally simple repair is now a moon shot! Insurance companies ARE going to make money and those kinds of repair cost will lead to a notable increase on that type coverage, over the long haul for everyone.

I hear you!

I bought a brand new Ram 1500 pickup and wanted to upgrade the headlight bulbs to something a little brighter. I looked at the light housing and didn't see an easy way to replace the bulbs, so I went on YouTube and looked up how to change them.

If I remember correctly, you had to remove the grille and the front tires to access the bulbs! Just stupid. Did the same thing on my new Toyota 4Runner and while it didn't require removal of parts, I could barely get them out due to being an adult with larger hands.

35isit
06-10-2020, 10:25 AM
I'm guessing this is a V8 gas engine. First off fuel filter is inside gas tank. You can check externally but not going to find one. Second off maybe it's intake gaskets. Check for TSB on Google. You plug off the port on manifold let the instructions and it will verify your problem. There is a gasket on the bottom of the manifold that blows. It is what leaks. When you need power going uphill you lose all vacuum. In the 90s and early 2000s I sold the parts for this on a daily basis at a Dodge dealership. Remember it is not just the gasket that goes to the head. It's the one on the bottom of the manifold.

redriverhunter
06-13-2020, 06:37 AM
400 bucks latter, I found out the truck had two fuel injectors nor working. running like a champ now. changed all 4 in that bank my mechanic labor the same to for 2 or 4.

Petrol & Powder
06-13-2020, 07:24 AM
400 bucks latter, I found out the truck had two fuel injectors nor working. running like a champ now. changed all 4 in that bank my mechanic labor the same to for 2 or 4.

Well there you have it.

Good Job.

Scrounge
06-13-2020, 07:53 AM
There is only one thing that causes a flashing MIL on an OBDII vehicle-type A misfire. Misfire typically shows up first under load so that makes sense that you see it when towing or going uphill.
Not necessarily an ignition problem, but could be anything that causes a cylinder to not produce power. Some engine computers will also cut out fuel injectors when misfire occurs in an attempt to save the catalytic convertor from damage.
Agree with the others, get the codes read and go from there. Misfire codes are P030x,
The x number is the cylinder number. If the code is P0300, it is called a random misfire, the computer cannot identify a specific cylinder as the problem.

I was getting this on my 98 chevy Silverado a couple of years ago. Long Story Short, I hadn't done a tuneup on it since I got it in 2010. Distributor has a cracked boss for the hold-down screws, moisture got in the cap and corroded the aluminum terminals. Aluminum oxide is an insulator. Wirebrushed it, got it start. Replaced the cap, wires, plugs (which had a way out of spec gap) and it runs well again. I have one of the (when I bought it) $20 bluetooth code readers from Amazon, and only cylinder 1 was showing the misfire code. I use the Torque Pro android app. I think that was $10. I want one of the code readers that does ABS and such, and someday I may get one, but for now the cheap one works well enough. For most cars, there is a key you can get that will let you read the blink codes on your dash, but it's nearly as expensive as the bluetooth module and app. Since nearly everyone has a smartphone these days, the code reader is generally a better buy. If you gotta buy the smart phone (or tablet) too, might as well get the fancy code reader. Especially if you have expensive taste in phones or tablets. ;)

Bill

metricmonkeywrench
06-13-2020, 08:19 AM
All in all $400 doesn’t sound so bad fo a pro repair. Like brakes the fuel system is not something to be taken lightly as the consequences of a failure or bad repair can become quite serious.

As I do most of my own work a couple of years ago my wife got me a decent mid range scanner for X-mas it has paid for itself several times over.

Though the modern systems seem complicated for an average car/truck once you understand how they work it’s actually quite simple. Cost to repair is a different story though.

Unfortunately there’s no going back to throttle cables and points and condensers in the modern world.