PDA

View Full Version : Go Slooow smelting wheel weights--FWIW

Shuz
11-27-2008, 12:51 AM
Folks, today I went real slow whilst smelting some clip on and stick on type wheel weights. What I mean is that I used my thermometer and made sure that my 33 pound capacity pot did not exceed 650 deg F. The end result is that my ingots looked a lot smoother when finished than those I did the other day when I did not take as much care to insure that my melt temp did not exceed 650 deg. F. Based on the higher number of clips and stick-on pieces that were skimmed off, that were prolly zinc or ? that had not melted yet, I think it is well worth the time to go slow and insure that no "bad" elements are introduced into the melt.
Another caveat-- I found another single edged razor blade mixed in with the wheel weights. I don't know whether it is customary for the balancing folks to use these for some reason, but it is not the first time that I have found a razor blade in with scrap wheel weights!-- !Tenga quidado!--Shuz

odoh
11-27-2008, 03:33 AM
I'm wondering if the razor had been used to skin stick-on adhesives off a wheel and eventually into the used WW tub?

I've found that adhesive to be problematic on the wheels and when into the melt it sticks to the sides of the pot. Almost impossible to deal with

Bill*
11-27-2008, 08:57 AM
When I was a landscapers mechanic, I used to cut off the excess plug when plugging a tire. I used a razorblade. Seems likely tire repairs are performed near the mounting station, and to the average repair guy that pail is nothing but garbage so..... Bill

2muchstuf
11-27-2008, 09:26 AM
Single edge blades in a holder are used to scrape off old inspection stickers.
If they inspect there.

Just a thought.