PDA

View Full Version : dumb question...smelting on a gas grill

carbon_15
11-26-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm in the process of getting my gear together to start casting. In the mean time I have about 70# or range mined lead that I would like to get smelted into ingots. I was wondering if a regular ol 4 burned gas grill will get hot enough for smelting. I dont have a side burner or a turkey fryer base.
Thanks,
Jason

Sorry if thats a dumb question,

Linstrum
11-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Hey, Carbon_15, welcome to the board. The 4-burner gas grills I am familiar with get hot enough to melt down lead. The big deal is I sure wouldn't use the one I cook my dinner on, though, the dross from cleaning up lead is a fine dust when cool and it has some pretty nasty stuff in it including oxides of lead, antimony, and quite often arsenic.

The only thing dumb about a "dumb" question is not asking it, so ask anything you want!

rl489

Bill*
11-27-2008, 09:18 AM
HI and Welcome Carbon 15!
What Linstrum wrote is right. Please keep in mind also, If you do want to use a gas grill for smelting, remember they weren't designed for that kind of weight. I guess a 2 quart pot full of alloy might weigh up to 30-40 lbs? At least a heckava lot more than some burgers:mrgreen: A couple of those on the deck could be a disaster!

mooman76
11-27-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm thinking you may find it difficult but may be doable. For one thing the grill is above the burners a little higher than on a normal burner you would be using so you will have some heat loss. You may have to rig something.

Jumping Frog
11-27-2008, 11:33 AM
I have a 3 burner gas grill that has a high temperature thermometer inserted through a small hole in the cover. Running at full blast, it gets about 375-400 degrees.

carbon_15
11-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I have found a good deal on a fish fryer and a cst iron dutch oven pot, which should be about ideal for smelting.

Happy thanksgiving

Shiloh
11-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Iv'e done it on a Coleman Stove. Now my buddy does it on a turkey fryer in a dutch oven.

Shiloh

copdills
11-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Welcome to the forum carbon 15