PDA

View Full Version : What did I do.

jcw1970
11-26-2008, 10:18 PM
So I was casting a few 30/30 boolits and had one stuck in the mold so i was shaking the mold and i hit the other one that fell out and this is what happened. Not really sure why it broke. Should i dump all the boolits i cast back in the pot?

The Double D
11-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Nope!

docone31
11-26-2008, 10:28 PM
I wouldn't.
It looks like it was still cooling when the mold hit it. Perhaps a little high in tin.
The others are probably good.
When I get a stuck one, I use the wood dowel I made to push the base loose rather than smack the mold. I just push the exposed base and out they go.
I had one mold that would not let them go at all. I did my trick with casting through a nut, coated them with fine lapping compound, and gave them some turns. They pop out nice now.

runfiverun
11-27-2008, 01:50 AM
you just dumped it out while it still was hot. i do thast to ingots all the time.

dubber123
11-27-2008, 07:36 AM
Inspect all your other boolits. The above posts are correct, the boolit just hadn't solidified enough. If you drop boolits at this temp, it's easy to fracture or bend them.

I had a bunch of .45's I had to toss back, they had a fracture right across the bottom of the lube groove. I layered a few towels for them to drop on, and it never happened again.

HeavyMetal
11-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Longer boolits can also be "bent" when dropped onto a hard surface.

One of many reason why I started dropping into water with a folded rag at the bottom of the bucket to act as a cushion.

docone31
11-27-2008, 11:24 AM
I water drop every one.
So far, I have not had to discard except for voids.
I use a large cooking pot to catch them. They are cool before they hit the bottom.
I do not use the pot to cook with.

missionary5155
11-27-2008, 11:25 AM
And what mix are you using ? WW linetype

Wayne Smith
11-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Longer boolits can also be "bent" when dropped onto a hard surface.

One of many reason why I started dropping into water with a folded rag at the bottom of the bucket to act as a cushion.

HA! I've bent 311041? group buy boolits dropping them in water too early. It can happen. Sprue cut fine, but with Bullplate that is no longer an appropriate indicator of hardness. I can cut sprues way too early with Bullplate applied.

montana_charlie
11-27-2008, 12:44 PM
I water drop every one.
So far, I have not had to discard except for voids.
The ones with voids are those that float...right?
CM

bruce drake
11-29-2008, 06:58 AM
I have a 6.5mm 140gr mold that if I get in a groove can easily cast to fast and drop them and bend them while they are still hot. funny to see a banana shaped bullet sometimes.

Check for a burr at the top of your mold. It might be causing that cavity to hang onto the bullet as well.

Bruce