PDA

View Full Version : 41 magnum - Alliance blue dot

Arizona Geno
11-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Hi:
Just went to gun store in Phoenix and saw information on the NOT recommended use of Blue Dot for any 41 magnum loads. I use 13 grains of blue dot with great results. 9" group at 100 yards two hand rest. 4 foot group at 640 yards.

What do you all think about this negative information from the Alliance Company?

genelbower@yahoo.com

kooz
11-26-2008, 08:51 PM
It has been a long time since I have loaded .41 mag, but used to use Blue Dot all the time with excellent results.

runfiverun
11-26-2008, 08:55 PM
they make the powder and test it with much better equipment then we have access to.
but it is your gun, and fingers wrapped around it, do what you want.

FN in MT
11-26-2008, 09:09 PM
WAY back when I had hair and a few muscles Blue Dot was introduced. I tried it in .357 mags and it worked fine....until the weather warmed up a bit and You had to POUND the empties out of the cylinder.

Tried it again a few years later and despite being well within specs, fairly far from MAX........... I had a few hi pressure signs....so gave up on it.

Anyway...A guy who shoots at 100 yds using both hands !!! Love it!! Me and a few Buddies do a little contest were we shoot at a std sheet of typewriter paper at 100 yds. Five shots, STANDING. So far the record is with a Freedom Arms 83 in .45 Colt the group was a mere 5". But we have quite a few 8-9 inchers too. Lots of fun.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h274/montanaguy375/m657Ntgt.jpg

This was my 6" M657 that one up right blew what could have been a record breaking group.
FN in MT

Loudenboomer
11-26-2008, 09:12 PM
AZ G

A four foot group @ 640 yds is good shoot'in. Tell us more about your bullets and gun.

Whitespider
11-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Arizona Geno,
Blue Dot has always been funky, producing rare but unexpected results in an all-of-a-sudden way in both shotgun and pistol loads. Many times these results have been blamed on hot weather, cold weather, and what-not. I noticed unexplainable pressure spikes in revolver cartridges and inconsistent pressure and velocity in shot shells some twenty years ago, and discontinued its use. There seems to be one or two pressure bands that Blue Dot prefers in order to operate reliably, but if something moves the operating pressure outside of these bands (i.e. temperature, etc.) the results can be dangerous. My thinking is that Alliant has finally become aware of this problem and is revaluating some of its load data, and possibly the formulation of Blue Dot.

dbldblu
11-26-2008, 10:42 PM
I thought I had a good load with a 210 gr boolit and Bluedot and then the next time I used the load it was about 30 degrees warmer and the load was all over the place.

Heavy lead
11-26-2008, 10:47 PM
WAY back when I had hair and a few muscles Blue Dot was introduced. I tried it in .357 mags and it worked fine....until the weather warmed up a bit and You had to POUND the empties out of the cylinder.

Tried it again a few years later and despite being well within specs, fairly far from MAX........... I had a few hi pressure signs....so gave up on it.

Anyway...A guy who shoots at 100 yds using both hands !!! Love it!! Me and a few Buddies do a little contest were we shoot at a std sheet of typewriter paper at 100 yds. Five shots, STANDING. So far the record is with a Freedom Arms 83 in .45 Colt the group was a mere 5". But we have quite a few 8-9 inchers too. Lots of fun.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h274/montanaguy375/m657Ntgt.jpg

This was my 6" M657 that one up right blew what could have been a record breaking group.
FN in MT

Same load I use with a Keith 230 grain. Love the Unique, love the 41 and love the 657, got two, would like more. Never shot at 100 yards though, you've inspired me!

FN in MT
11-27-2008, 12:58 AM
Heavy Lead,

We use the colored paper available from copy shops. We have found that depending on the light; light to medium blue or yellow work pretty well. One of the guys likes pure Black but it's tough to find.

It all boils down to;sight alignment and trigger control...but with some concentrated practice you will be amazed at how accurate a handgun can be!! Lots of fun too.

FN in MT