PDA

View Full Version : dee,dee, doh

runfiverun
11-26-2008, 04:31 PM
:oops:a big ???tf moment

been running the savage 340 lately bolt gun in 30-30.
why? cause it has a 1-12" bbl.

i have been working up loads for this rifle for accuracy and for velocity.
but also have been comparing lubes [yes still]
i have been running both win and rem cases for some reason they both have a favorite load that goes to crap when used in the other case.
and yes they are different capacities.

the moment came when i was having #1 help in the reloading room and she asked why i didn't have 50 of each case.
hmmm says i they do come in bags of 50 so i start looking under the shelf in the box on the other shelf and finally in the box marked 30-30 sure enough there was the rest of the brass.

so i proceed to neck size them and send them over to be primed.
we load them up put in with the rest of the brass, sure enough 50 in each box.

we grab the chrono and off to the range we go.
she goes down and puts up the targets and i set up the chrono check the battery , and the shooting bag.
now for some reason the load i use in the win brass likes the exposed lube grooves to be squeeky clean and the rem loads like them full of lube.
so she starts to check the lube on the brass and boolits,and i start to shoot.
all goes well for the first couple of shots the chrono is giving good reaadings low sd's and velocity right at 2250 extreme spread of 19 groups are right at the 1/2 x3/4 size same as the last three times i have shot this load.
when i grab the next case and go to load it it is a tight fit and i say to her we are gonna have to resize the brass this time.
so i shoot the round and open the action where is my case?
these rifles don't have the best extracter so i try it again,nope hmmmm
get the cleaning rod out.
what cleaning rod? dohh so i grap about 40 17 hmr cases off the ground and pop out it comes.
dammit that can't be good. but the bbl still looks good .so i shoot a few more.
when stuck again.....
now this load is right at 40-k but....the brass doh!!!
grabbed brass that had been fired in the model 94 and it is larger in the web area.
and when it was chambered it would squeeze in but not come out even if not fired.
think i woulda known better. :oops;

Larry Gibson
11-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Some says are diamonds, some days are stones....;-)

Larry Gibson

bruce drake
11-29-2008, 07:03 AM
Multiple Rifles within the same caliber get the Full-Lenght Sizing everytime for me. My memory is never good enough to keep the brass segregated between the shooting, cleaning and reloading. It all gets sized and reloaded in large bunches.

You mentioned that you had two different sources of brass. One bit of advice would be to keep the R-P brass for the other 30-30 and dedicate the Win brass to the Savage.

Bruce

missionary5155
11-29-2008, 07:58 AM
Good morning I agree with the dedicated brass idea. I have bags and boxes clearly marked which rifle they belong to. I generally only neck size. unless a load has prooved to be sticky in the chamber. But it also means I cannot just grab any box for any rifle and get to the shooting place expecting all is well.
Even down here I have dedicated 44-40 Winny brass (fat) and 44-40 NewService brass. Neck sized only with diferent diameter boolits.

NHlever
11-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Well, cheer up! Just remember that the plumber always has more trouble with his plumbing than the rest of us. Somehow, it seems that the more we know about what is going on, the more problems we can find for ourselves. Take good care of No.1 there.......... it is a gift to have a mate that enjoys sharing things with you.

DLCTEX
11-29-2008, 10:56 AM
I have the same problem with a Ruger 77/22 in 22 Hornet and a Tarus Raging Hornet pistol. Brass from the rifle will go in the pistol if neck sized, but not the other way.WW brass is for pistol, Rem./UMC for rifle. R-P brass is for cast in rifle due to the thinner necks being easier on boolits being seated. DALE

Junior1942
11-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Neck sized brass shot in my Win M94 30-30 won't chamber in my brother's Marlin 30-30. It might be the opposite, however. I'm getting CRS......

runfiverun
11-29-2008, 03:04 PM
i normally dedicate brass to each rifle in a separate plastic container that is labeled for the gun.
but i just got both of these and as i go through the process of learning them i use different makes of brass to see which each prefers.
the 94 definately prefers win brass.
but the savage likes both win and rem just with completely different loads.
if this is the biggest mistake i make in the loading room i will thank other procedures.
but this lapse could have been powder in the wrong container,or not checking the weight coming out of the measure.

Southern Son
11-30-2008, 06:12 AM
Had a little whoopsie myself the other day. I am trying to find a good load for my 686. Being out in the boondocks, locating different powders to try is a pain. You can have ADI or ADI. I went to the gund shop and the bloke in there tells me that AP100 is the stuff if I want to try something a little slower. "OK" says I and I pay nearly $40.00 for the powder. Never used it before, so I want to see just how big a flake the powder comes in (large flakes don't meter well in the dillon powder thrower), so I open the container. It is about the same as the AP70. I turn to my reloading manual only to find not a single load for AP100 powder in a 38 Spl case. I now own a powder I have nothing to shoot in. I should have looked in the reloading books before I bought it.

Anyway, after I found out I had wasted money on the AP100, I thought I will try the AP70 I have on hand one more time. The last time I used it, it left alot of half burnt powder that got in the chambers and made it difficult to load the next round without blowing it out of the chamber. I had raised that with the guy in the gunshop and he said that if you load it up, don't exceed maximum, but you probably need to load at what the book says is maximum, then the unburnt and half burnt powder goes away. I consult the reloading books and find that according to them, a max load of AP70 with a 158grain projectile is 4.5gr in a 38 Spl load and 4.7gr in a 38 Spl +P load. Being that it is a 357 mag revolver I am not really worried about strength of the revolver and I load 4.5gr. Load up 50 cases. Then I look at the projectiles and think "gee, they look small for a 158gr bullet" and I weigh a couple. They are 130grain. I just got back from the range and the revolver is full of half burnt powder. It is under the ejector star, in the chambers, under the crane.

Looking at the books and what they say are maximum, even if I had thought that the bullets were 130gr and then loaded the case with a max load of AP70 for that, then found that the boolits were really 158gr, I would still have been under max for a +P load, but I still stuffed up, I wasted what little AP70 I have, wasted 50 bullets, wasted time (I am starting to have less and less of that of late) and I still have half a kilo of AP100 which I will never be able to use.

Ricochet
11-30-2008, 02:42 PM
I've actually started doing the segregated brass, neck sizing thing for my Swiss rifles. It's a bit of a PITA, though. For the Mosins and the Mausers, they all get FLR.

runfiverun
12-01-2008, 10:46 AM
hey ricochet,
you wanna tell me what i am getting for christmas this year?