PDA

View Full Version : What is a "Boolit"?

45nut
11-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/boolits/100_1237.jpg

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.lasc.us/RS14-3Speer33Gr-9.jpg

[smilie=s: :cbpour:

runfiverun
11-26-2008, 02:55 PM
the "term" boolits is starting to spread, it is also a nce way to differentiate quickly what/which we are discussing.

August
11-26-2008, 06:59 PM
'em r 'em thangs what goes to the front o' the cartridge. When ya' pull the trigger, thay fly outta the front o' the gun. You might say theys the point o' this whole project.

Sonic Sammy
06-28-2009, 12:58 AM
Id like to make me up some of them thir boolits for this here new rifle gun I be for ownen.

hugh
08-03-2009, 04:04 PM
makes sense to me,did not know to b4 joining the club

08-07-2009, 07:41 AM
LOL, people ask me if it is spelled correctly when I tell them about the site. Sounds perfect to me. wc

johnny356ER
08-23-2009, 09:58 PM
the "term" boolits is starting to spread, it is also a nce way to differentiate quickly what/which we are discussing.

I never even questioned the term the first time I heard it...just always assumed that it was a term for those in the casting circle.

good shootin'
johnny

That'll Do
02-13-2010, 10:35 PM
I'm not one for dragging up old threads, but I recently used the term "boolit" on another popular gun forum, and I was informed that the word "boolit" was not allowed to be used!

The reasoning was that it was not proper English. Seemed kinda silly to me.

Heavy lead
02-13-2010, 10:42 PM
There's other forums?

That'll Do
02-14-2010, 12:51 AM
There's other forums?

Hard to believe, I know!:mrgreen:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Strange as it may seem, on one of those "other ????forums????" one maker of very good custom molds seems a bit torked about the term, "boolets".

If'n his molds weren't so good, I'd be torked that he's torked![smilie=l:

However, kind of like Ol'Elmer Keith, ya just consider the source, take what is good and delete the rest.

Long may da "BOOLETS" FLY!!!!!!!!

Keet em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

pjh421
04-09-2010, 01:40 PM
That'll Do,
Given the lack of concern for the generally accepted rules of English on just about any forum, I don't see what would be the problem. If forums began requiring the use of proper spelling, syntax, punctuation and grammar there would be very little traffic. Take the words mold and mould. One is no more correct than the other. I happen to use "mould" simply because that is the way I learned to spell it as it applies to casting things. I always used the other spelling to refer to some forms of bacterial growth. If someone doesn't agree I don't get ticked off. Gee, that mould maker and the other forum members, et. al, need to get over themselves.

Paul

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Good one Paul!

Back a number of years now, I got into photography at the professional level and some of the old timers really had a problem with the young wipper snapper.

Doing such un-professional things as setting up commercial displays at the local fairs, hiring out almost all lab work when the "real" photographers spent hours in the darkroom.

I did go on to set up a B&W darkroom for that aspect of the business, and the local, "professionals" finally had to talk to me [smilie=b: as I was a real factor in the area.

However, seems we most all get uppity about something we do at some point and usually find out life is a lot more pleasent when we relax.

Be'in an Ol'Coot does have it's bright side.

So, let's hear it for those "BOOLET MOLDS"[smilie=w:

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

a.squibload
04-21-2010, 02:22 AM
I like it, "boolits" expresses a form of independence, a DIY sort of thing.

The "slugs" (I like that term too, don't see it much except for shotguns) in
post #1 look like something that flies out of a naval cannon! Nice...

mroliver77
05-15-2010, 06:18 PM
I was going to buy a mold from one of the premier mold builders that an agent of his had a group buy going on this site. I was informed that he does not offer BOOLIT molds only bullet molds. It was mentioned repeatedly that the term BOOLITS was not to be used. Now, I have some of his molds and like them very much. BUT... to be treated as such on a site that I monetarily support and love that happens to be named Cast BOOLITS I decided against the buy and will no longer buy any of his molds. There are others here that offer great molds and my money will be spent with them. I wish the old fart well and I am sure he will not suffer loosing my business.
Just my 2 cents " Or $125.00"
Jay

Buckshot
05-16-2010, 12:38 AM
..............Some people just take things WAY too seriously :-)

.............Buckshot

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Yep, some sure do, and as soon as my new boolit mold gets here from that crusty Ol'Boolit mold maker, I am going to enjoy makeing lots of BOOLITSeven it the crusty Ol'mold maker doesn't like it.

An on top of that I'd guess he'll gladly keep mak'in molds even if I cast BOOLITS and not bullets!:castmine::cbpour::lovebooli

Crusty Ol'folk can be such a pain!:groner:[smilie=l:

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

jlchucker
05-16-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm not one for dragging up old threads, but I recently used the term "boolit" on another popular gun forum, and I was informed that the word "boolit" was not allowed to be used!

That'll teach ya for going onto some of those other gun forums. A couple of them are more interested in propriety and politics than actual gun stuff like we are here.

wills
05-16-2010, 10:15 PM
That'll teach ya for going onto some of those other gun forums. A couple of them are more interested in propriety and politics than actual gun stuff like we are here.

Sometimes you have no choice. If you want to keep up with the latest in cryptozoology such as Gigantic Lion-eating Super Monkeys, you have to go to one of those other sites.

badgeredd
05-23-2010, 08:21 AM
Since I read the thread about John Taffin and his extreme reaction to the word "boolit" I have no interest in anything he has to say in print. Like "Buckshot" said....some people take things WAY too seriously.

Edd

Lead Fred
05-23-2010, 09:21 AM
A bullet is a store bought 300gr slug any weenie can shoot out of any 45-70.

A Boolit is 565 flat nose cast, that will blow a 4x4 post a part, go clean though a steel 2 inch pipe, or gut any big animal from stem to stern in North America

pjh421
06-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Taffin took exception to the term "boolit"? Really? Really? That strikes me as being kind of funny since after wasting $30 or so on his "Book of the .44" I couldn't help noticing, to the point of distraction, that his writings were RIFE with error. This, after slugging through his musings about what a fantastic and experienced teacher he is. He doesn't put ten percent of the effort into his attempts to communicate in written form for profit that many of us commonly do on blogs and forums as a hobby. Very impressive.

Paul

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Found out last night that the Crusty Ol' "bullet" mold maker has sent the order to the group buy honcho.

Guess it must have been a mixed order, as I know of one BOOLIT mold which was ordered.

Hope Veral followed directions, as I did really want a BOOLIT mold and don't want the hassle of sending a bullet mold back to be recut.

Hate Crusty Ol'Coots, love BOOLIT MOLDS!!!!!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot:castmine:

montana_charlie
03-14-2011, 10:50 PM
According to the author of http://www.lasc.us/FryxellMpMolds.htm , the term 'boolit' is something that he is willing to overlook because
"and 2) there is a large and very knowledgeable community gathered there, and the knowledge is worth putting up with a little “cutsie-pie” cr@p)."
CM

45 2.1
03-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Taffin took exception to the term "boolit"? Really? Really? That strikes me as being kind of funny since after wasting $30 or so on his "Book of the .44" I couldn't help noticing, to the point of distraction, that his writings were RIFE with error. This, after slugging through his musings about what a fantastic and experienced teacher he is. He doesn't put ten percent of the effort into his attempts to communicate in written form for profit that many of us commonly do on blogs and forums as a hobby. Very impressive.

Paul

According to the author of http://www.lasc.us/FryxellMpMolds.htm , the term 'boolit' is something that he is willing to overlook because: Quote: "and 2) there is a large and very knowledgeable community gathered there, and the knowledge is worth putting up with a little “cutsie-pie” cr@p)."

CM

Hee...hee...hee. Its amusing to see the pundits of knowledge deride others. I would say to them, "read my signature line". That about sums things up.

unclebill
03-15-2011, 11:54 AM
i figured it was spelled like that to make this site even easier to find with google.....

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Ya know, I thought part of the fun and enjoyment of hunting, shooting, reloading, bullet/boolit casting and the use of the great forums, like Cast Boolits was to share.

Sharing info, experiences, a laugh or two and thereby adding to life's experiences.

So, being the Ol'Coot that I am, Anyone offended by "Boolits" and the use thereof, needs to get a life.

OR, if they can't, get off the forum.

Ya, I know of at least one long term mold maker who has his tail twisted by the term.

Well, NO ONE is trying to degrade his molds or the quality thereof by the term, Boolits, and if there is any problem with the use of such terms, it is totally with that person. Called, a "personal problem."

I have two of this mold makers molds, and they cast great Boolits!
Yep, just an Ol'Coots opinion, but those who can't deal with such minor things are taking themselves and life way to serious!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot :cbpour:

waksupi
03-15-2011, 03:18 PM
A big plus of "Boolits", is the fact it will evade many blocking programs on computer networks. Many companies block all gun related sites.

mroliver77
03-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Funny that some of them that hate the word "boolit" will in term say "boom stick" or "smoke pole", "the holy black" etc, etc.

I think the personality type that can accept and adopt boolits, is one of the things that make this site special.
I was run off CB-L years ago by crotchety, gloomy old farts and don't miss the anal retentive - ness of it.\
My Dad had a silly sense of humor and could laugh at a funeral. He used to ask up tight people, "What are you so serious about? Aint none of us gettin out alive!"
Jay

firefly1957
03-16-2011, 07:56 PM
I always thought boolits were the sons-of -a -gun.------->

Cowboy T
03-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Hmm...must be my Liberal brain...because I like

CAST BOOLITS!

I refer to them as such because of this forum and what I've learned on it. That, and I much prefer to shoot my cast BOOLITS than jacketed or plated. My guns will be happier with it over time, my loads have the potential for greater precision, it saves me money, and as Glen Fryxell and Robert Applegate say in their new online book, I now have increased INDEPENDENCE.

What's not to like?

:lovebooli:castmine::cbpour::Luvcastboolits:

:CastBoolitsisbest:

- T

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-17-2011, 10:40 AM
:CastBoolitsisbest:

I went to the range yesterday.
Testing 4 boolits for function and accuracy in 5 pistols.
one pistol (a modified CZ52 in 9mm luger)
would not reliably cycle a RD TL 135 gr. GC boolit.
It may have been seated too long ???
BUT ANYWAY,
only one other person there,
He looked familiar, but I couldn't remember where I'd seen him.
he was shootin' 22 pistol and rifle
at some fancy homemade steel targets.
He asked what I was shooting,
I told him I was testing some cast boolits.
He said he cast too.
....WOW ! I didn't think anyone else cast in my area,
let alone at my club, this club is kinda large and is
not my main club. I don't go to the meetings,
the meetings are the same night as my other
club that is much closer to my house,
I, of course frequent those meetings...now I'm rambling.
He asked what alloy I use.
that started a long rambling by me, since I have been
experimenting with several alloys.
He was surprised I don't get leading with some of the softer
alloys I use. I told him about this website.
I made sure to pronouce it castbooooolits.com
He said, "Yeah, I've been to that website, with the European spelling right ?"
I chuckled inside, and just said, I think the spelling is funny way to differentiate
the website.
He said he hadn't been there for a while.
I said you should go check it out again, there is tons of info.
and plenty of experts who'll answer your questions.
the last thing he asked, was if I cast any slugs.
I asked, "for shotgun ? Nope"
He said he had a new mold and was going to try that out.
I hope he shows up ?
I forgot to ask if he was a registored member or was just a guest ?
I have been thinking of all the things I should have
asked him yesterday...it was such a short conversation.

I still can't remember why he would look familiar to me.
Maybe a pistol league from 10 years ago.
there were over 50 people in that league.

anyway, the point is....
I guess there is no point
Jon

Mossy Nugget
03-18-2011, 09:10 PM
"Boolit" means a home-cast naked lead projectile not allowed at my local indoor range due to EPA regulations. "Bullet" means a steel-cored, copper-jacketed projectile not allowed at my local indoor range due to fire martial regulations. I can $ub$itute range $upplied ammo for a mode$t co$t. please forgive me if the only thing I can afford to shoot off is my mouth.

(edit) I have since begun research regarding electroplating copper onto cast boolits. This has shown some promise for shooting, but handling hydrochloric and sulphuric acids carries environmental and safety risks of their own.

MBTcustom
06-09-2011, 09:55 PM
I have been turning to the internet for the last few years, to find info on shooting, gunsmithing, reloading, and hunting. I kept finding the answers I needed by fellers that pronounce the word boolit It was not untill this year that I finally stumbled across the homepage while I was researching Paperpatching techniques, then it all started to come together for me. I new within a week that I needed to be a member here because there are so many folks with the same interests. (I honestly thought I was one of the last holdouts) I started giving my opinion and asking a few questions, now I give my opinion very carefully and ask a whole lot of questions!
I cant get enough of this site! I take a look at it at least three times a day. I am just soaking up information like a sponge because for 18 years I have been learning the hard way with nothing but my dads tattered old Lyman books for guidance.
I love it here!!!!!!

treadhead1952
06-14-2011, 03:55 PM
:cbpour::Luvcastboolits:

I agree with goodsteel and the rest, I could care less about a little tomfoolery over the spelling of the name. If it gets some yo-yo's panties in a twist, that is just too bad.

The excellent information, camaraderie, humor and down right fun that comes across the pages is what sold me on the site. So I will just sit over here in my little corner of the web and cast up my cast Boolits, shoot the hell out of them and enjoy myself.

Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC RULES!

hiram1
06-18-2011, 06:55 PM
i just want to take a min .and tell you guys .thanks for all the help you give to me and others it is a good thing

floodgate
07-20-2011, 12:48 AM
If you read modern crime novels, watch TV or read contemporary newspapers and "news"magazines, you will note that "bullets" has come to refer in general usage to complete cartridges. "Boolits" preserves the distinction between complete, loaded rounds and the cast lead-alloy projectiles.

You can call the FLGC versions"bullet heads".

slide
07-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Boolit? Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

colt 357
08-14-2011, 02:57 AM
I thought it was taken after Elmer Fudd on Bugs Bunny "I'm all out of BOOLITS"

no34570
08-18-2011, 08:15 PM
I thought it was taken after Elmer Fudd on Bugs Bunny "I'm all out of BOOLITS"
:grin::grin: I like that one,I used that recently when I went pig shooting and me and a few mates got on a mob of pigs,I was using my 44Mag L/A,11 shots later,I used that line,it was a crack up :)

no34570
08-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Hey 45nut
What are those boolits you have in the first post?,they look cool.

largom
08-18-2011, 08:56 PM

"Proper English"? I don't live in England! I live in America [until Obama destroy's it] and I speak AMERICAN. Go Boolits Go!.

Larry

slide
08-18-2011, 08:58 PM
You know Boolits would be a good name for a NFL team.

45nut
08-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Hey 45nut
What are those boolits you have in the first post?,they look cool.

[smilie=2: 725gr .512's for my 500 A Square :lovebooli

Legionnaire
01-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Newbie point of clarification, as I've not started casting yet. Is a hard cast projectile purchased from somewhere else a "boolit" or a "bullet?" Or maybe a "boolEt?" I've been reloading hard cast .357s and .44s from Missouri Bullet Co. for the last couple of years. Hmmm. Maybe the name of the company provides the answer? Inquiring minds would like to know before I accidentally tick somebody off. As Oscar Wilde once said, "A gentleman never insults anyone unintentionally!"

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Legionnaire,

Just an Ol'Coot's opinion, but I think "Boolit" is just part of the fun.

Now don't make the mistake of contacting Veral Smith of Lead Bullet Technology (LBT) and talking about, "boolits".

That twists the ol"curmugin's crank!!!!!!!!

Personaly, I just think he takes the subject, or maybe himself, waaaaaaay to serious.

Now when I talk about the boolits which come from my LBT mold, I am not casting stones at Veral, and should he think otherwise, he needs to get a life and maybe laugh a bit!

And by the same token, am sure not degrading the results of hard cast, Wide Flat Nose (WFN) boolits used for taking eat'in size game animals. No way, they are truely awesome! "They" be'in my non-expanding WFN BOOLITS! ;-):lovebooli

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

So, enjoy shoot'in those boolits, home cast or commercial.

Bullet Caster
01-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Yeah, I didn't know what a "boolit" was until I read .45Nut's post when I first joined the forum. That was after I chose "Bullet Caster" for my handle. Now I know that it's the grand galena found in the earth provided by the creator for us to cast projectiles. BC

authentic
06-25-2012, 02:16 AM
Distinguishing one from the other is great!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-25-2012, 01:38 PM
And fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I Veral Smith's case, he feels that calling cast bullets, "Boolits" degrades a product he feels very strongly about.

OK, I under stand.

However, if I was not taking my cast boolits seriously, I sure wouldn't be taking them to the woods with me or spending the amount of time I have invested to get a good and hunting worthy load worked up for my 45/70!

No sir, just wouldn't go there.

However, beside being a, "meat hunter" and the taking of meat for the freezer being the number one reason for heading to the woods in the Fall, I like to shoot.

I like the interchange if info and ideas person to person or by way of the forums.

It is enjoyable for the most part and FUN!

And for me at least, "BOOLITS is just part of that enjoyment and fun!

Yep, give the Ol'Coot his boolits! :castmine: [smilie=w: :cast_boolits: :CastBoolitsisbest:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

45-70.gov
07-20-2012, 11:41 AM
i know the difference by now between a boolit and a bullet

thanks to this forum

what don't know and can't figure out is.....

are they pronounced the same

could some please explain ...if they are prononced differently
maybe post a link to a you-tube video??

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-20-2012, 03:11 PM
One is Boooooooo lets and the other bull lets.

[smilie=w: :mrgreen: :castmine: :CastBoolitsisbest:

CDOC

Ironnewt
10-31-2012, 03:32 AM
Well I remember when I was a young whippersnapper and working with an 'old timer' I was carrying a S&W Model 10 with 2 speed loaders and a drop box with a speed strip. I was cutting edge, the Cat's Meiow. My partner, MR Leo had a Colt Official Police with 12 bullet loops sewn onto his duty belt. Some kid asked me "Mr Pole-eeseman, were is your Buggerlets"

Ironnewt
10-31-2012, 03:35 AM
i know the difference by now between a boolit and a bullet

thanks to this forum

what don't know and can't figure out is.....

are they pronounced the same

could some please explain ...if they are prononced differently
maybe post a link to a you-tube video??

Bullet, pronounced "Bullet"

Boolit pronounced ...."Boool IT'

farmallcrew
11-01-2012, 04:52 AM
^^^^^^^ +1 LOL how many people stare at their screen and say "bullet' "boolit" when whey first heard of this site. I was one of them. LOL.

facetious
11-01-2012, 05:17 AM
What is the point of having a hobby if you can not have fun with it:happy dance:.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Yep, I agree. Much fun and good info on the forums I visit and enjoy.

Once in awhile I see something that turns my crank backwards, but that is not the norm.

Sad for the readers of my input, many of my posts are rather on the long side.

That comes from years of needing to restate or re-explain some thing a second or third time.

But "Boolits" now I understood it right off and find it to just part of the great fun and enjoyment of being on the Cast BOOLITS Forum!

Sorry to those who take themselves so seriously that Boolits, offends them.

[smilie=l: :CastBoolitsisbest: :Luvcastboolits: :awesome:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Col4570
01-19-2013, 03:32 AM
Eee bye gum,and I thought it was the way it was spelled in the new world.

Ozarki
01-21-2013, 10:23 PM
I've brrn hanging around here quite a while now, and you folks just keep getting better n better. love it here

Wes

Area Man
02-19-2013, 06:51 PM
I'll try. I'll really really try but it goes against every fiber of my being. Whenever I see the word boolit my mind pictures a 14 year old texting his friends in text gibberish

Makn boolits cya l8tr!

I'm a bit of a grammar cop but in the interest of peace and unity I will try my best.

Just don't ask me to end a sentance with a preposition

Gar
02-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Just don't ask me to end a sentance with a preposition

That is something I would never ask you to put up with! :kidding:

Welcome to the board.

Area Man
02-19-2013, 07:19 PM
That is something I would never ask you to put up with! :kidding:

Welcome to the board.

"It is a load of rubbish up with which I will not put"

Winston Churchill on the subject of ending sentences with prepositions.

Smitty's Retired
03-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Doesn't matter, we know what a Boolit is and know how they perform. Pity the poor uneducated who give away their overpriced Wincolvige Hypermag because they can't get it to perform with the latest store bought Sonic Eliminator Nosetrack Ubermag bullet.

Besides, spelling was never my strong point. I used to get in trouble in school because at times I would always seem to mispell the word "Posse". It also looked weird when I was writing a story about The Lone Ranger rounding up one.

ACrowe25
03-07-2013, 10:51 AM
I've read "boolit" from time to time on various forums. But until coming here I had no idea what it was, lol. Now I'm greatful to understand the meaning, makes sense now....

olafhardt
05-22-2013, 03:07 AM
I used to buy and read about anything that discussed shooting.Now I don't. This is the best forum period. I see " experts" debunked here all the time. They aint going to like us.

larry4831
07-23-2013, 06:55 PM
I need some boolits!

carolina556
09-29-2013, 06:29 PM
it's the business end of a weapon system :)

rondog
10-30-2013, 11:58 AM
Y'all wanna talk about Puritan, Luddite forums - I can direct you to a certain 1911 forum! It's actually not a bad site, quite informative, as long as you triple-check everything you write before you post it. Like a buncha nuns with steel rulers there. God help you if you use the word "screw" and you're NOT referring to a threaded fastener or the use thereof. The spankings shall commence.

Owen49
07-26-2014, 08:03 AM
Ef u fokes cant spelll propurly ya shuddnt b postin.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-26-2014, 01:43 PM
Well I checked the Ideeeeeho dictionairey and there it was, al perpetty splled, "BOOLITS"!

Jus likes it otter bee. Sew watts da probum?

I no it tis correct, caz I kast boolit just twho day gop and thay comes out fine.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

mdi
09-08-2014, 04:17 PM
One feller on another forum complained about the "stupid" spelling of the word for those that want to be recognized as a part of a group (bullet casters). From then on I used "Boolits" as often as I could...

olafhardt
09-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Wonder if he's the stoopid one?

GhostHawk
09-08-2014, 09:22 PM
I have to admit back in January when I joined here I kinda thought at first the "boolit" was perhaps a might silly, then it started growing on me. Now I like the way it separates a pure cast projectile from the Jwords or full body condom.

I admit I do use Gas Checks, and maybe someday when someone invents the truly super lube I'll be able to get by without them.
For now I think they look cute as heck. Pretty Silver Boolits with little copper bottoms and red lube in the grooves. Yeah, life is good.

mdi
09-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Gas checks = copper diapers. I use them too, on my Ranch Dog bullets...

fritoguy
06-13-2015, 05:52 PM
Thank you guys for all you do . God bless

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-13-2015, 06:23 PM
Welcome Fritoguy.

Lots of folk here that like to share what we think we know about what we think we know :lol:

Enjoy,

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

AllanD
08-15-2015, 10:52 PM
When people complain about spelling I have an urge to send them out for French lessons

Explanation: anyone who quibbles about variations in phonetic spellings of English words would
go stark raving mad learning to write in French...

And for the record I like lead chunks with wide meplats that cast of material that are soft enough to expand...

I just finished casting a bunch of 405grn 45-70's of pure soft lead the expectation is that launched from my marlin "portable tunnel"
(a 1972 vintage model 1895) that these boolits (however the hell you all want to spell it you all should at least have the ********* Decency to set the forum spell checker to allow the forum spelling!) should create their own tunnel wherever they may roam after firing them!

AllanD

The_Hammer
12-13-2016, 11:52 PM
I've seen people spell it "boolits" on different firearm forums for years.

Tripplebeards
07-20-2018, 09:49 AM
A boolit is something I have OCD to cast and try to make shoot sub MOA with...I need therapy!

http://i.imgur.com/1rgQ4cG.jpg

Dave T
07-20-2018, 01:43 PM
My arthritic shoulders and hands can't handle casting anymore, although I have poured thousands of rounds in years gone by. Now I buy "bullets" from a guy in Montana. Should I stop buying from him because he doesn't sell "boolits"?

Dave

Walks
08-14-2018, 08:42 PM
Grammer, spelling and punctuation. These were things the baby boomers were raised with.
I fail to see how in today's AMERICAN Society anyone cares about spelling ? When the WEBSTER'S Dictionary now lists the word "disrespected" with the same definition as "disrespectful" you begin to realize how much our AMERICAN ENGLISH has been "dumbed" down. Dictionary's change constantly.

I thing the new term "boolit" should be accepted as the definitive term that defines "a hand cast" boolit. Reserving the term "bullet" for those projectiles with copper alloy jackets produced for use in Ammunition produced by the companies large & small for the U. S. Military and the masses of civilian shooters who are too ignorant to know better.

CSMR
10-14-2018, 05:41 PM
… an indictment of our educational system?

GOPHER SLAYER
11-21-2020, 03:56 PM
A boolit is that piece of lead that comes out of the end of the gun barrel, reaches out and says HOWDY! Once it gets to where it's going, it doesn't really matter how the name of it was spelled.

ourway77
12-12-2021, 10:48 AM
When I was younger I use to care at 85 I don't give a crap

smithnframe
12-12-2021, 11:16 AM
A moronic way to pronounce bullet!

1hole
12-12-2021, 08:55 PM
… an indictment of our educational system?

We now have 80+ posts on what "boolits" rightly means? Goodness, some of you guys are wound much too tight!

Saying/writing "boolit" has nothing to do with our educational system, it's just a simple word-play joke that any adult with a sense of humor and a love of firearms should grasp immediately! The term was and is nothing more than a light-hearted way for cast bullet shooters to refer to our passion and show a difference in focus between this and other reloading forums.

So, I'm confused by all this supposed confusion. There are a lot of other firearms sites on the web and, like this one, they're all free. If the name of this site really does chaff some people's tender sensitivities like they say then why in the world do they hang around here and be part of it?

Noah Zark
12-12-2021, 09:50 PM
Here in PA there are reloaders who refer to the "projectile" components of the cartridge as "tips" or sometimes the redundant version, "bullet tips."

Drives me right up the wall.

Noah

12-12-2021, 11:04 PM
Bullet heads is one "description" I have heard.

Boolits: that fantastic resource produced in your molds. Powdercoated in ovens, then sized and loaded. Boolets allow me (mostly) unlimited practice with my 357 snubby.

smithnframe
12-13-2021, 07:45 AM
How about mold or mould?

Murphy
12-13-2021, 12:13 PM
How about mold or mould?

Now you've done it!

A quick online search turned up just enough information that in American English we use mold. The British use the spelling mould, as do our friends in Canada and some other countries.

Murphy

Baltimoreed
12-13-2021, 12:20 PM
Boolits are homemade while bullets are store bought.

1hole
12-13-2021, 12:34 PM
Here in PA there are reloaders who refer to the "projectile" components of the cartridge as "tips" or sometimes the redundant version, "bullet tips."

Drives me right up the wall.

Ditto "projos"; Arrrrggh .... !

smithnframe
12-13-2021, 01:10 PM
We now have 80+ posts on what "boolits" rightly means? Goodness, some of you guys are wound much too tight!

Saying/writing "boolit" has nothing to do with our educational system, it's just a simple word-play joke that any adult with a sense of humor and a love of firearms should grasp immediately! The term was and is nothing more than a light-hearted way for cast bullet shooters to refer to our passion and show a difference in focus between this and other reloading forums.

So, I'm confused by all this supposed confusion. There are a lot of other firearms sites on the web and, like this one, they're all free. If the name of this site really does chaff some people's tender sensitivities like they say then why in the world do they hang around here and be part of it?
Don’t need a lecture!

1hole
12-14-2021, 01:14 PM
Don’t need a lecture!

Okay, I give up, you win. I just thought this was an open ended forum where anyone could freely speak. ???

So, with all that behind us, what do you think we really "need"? ;)

smithnframe
12-14-2021, 07:48 PM
I know now why they have an ignore user feature!

Rickf1985
12-14-2021, 08:15 PM
Touchy, touchy!!!! I chuckle to myself every time I type boolits because inevitably it comes out bullets the first time. I am old school and I was brought up to use good grammar and spelling. The internet has totally screwed me up on that one! BUT, that said, I spend as much time editing my spelling errors as I do typing to make sure it is correct every post. I cannot believe you guys are getting into a fight over this!

Minerat
12-14-2021, 09:21 PM
You want to have some real fun go over to the Cast Bullets Association and use Boolits. Those ol' boys have a real runaway over that word and their panties get really bunched. LOL

I'm now old enough that I don't need or care that some purest tells me what words I have to use for referring to my hobby. I use it to kind of poke fun at serious people. Both come out of the end of a gun if you do everything right and boolits to me means cast not the J word ones.

Merry Christmas to all.

todd9.3x57
12-15-2021, 04:09 PM
Boolits are homemade while bullets are store bought.

X2

thats it.

JLF
12-16-2021, 11:40 AM
Boolit, a treated lead tip that can be used as a projectile to fire through a weapon. That is what I learned in the forum. Why give it more of a twist? It is the definition of the forum, ready.

Soundguy
12-16-2021, 01:02 PM

Some people/places get uptight about 'boolit'. I actually belong to another site that bans that word..and another where it draws criticism.
I use it when referring to cast lead projectiles.
I have also seen lube spelt' as 'loob' used in the same way... Lube is store bought...loob is home made...etc.

Soundguy
12-16-2021, 01:05 PM
The use of 'tips / heads' for some reason irks me.

I realize some use that term because the unwashed masses think bullet referees to the whole assembled cartridge.... During the big ammo rushes..the unwashed masses sometimes try to buy the boxes of component projectiles unaware they are not a complete cartridge...

John Boy
12-16-2021, 04:55 PM
Usually posted by the owner of one firearm as … Remi

1hole
12-16-2021, 08:38 PM
You want to have some real fun go over to the Cast Bullets Association and use Boolits. Those ol' boys have a real runaway over that word and their panties get really bunched. LOL

I'm now old enough that I don't need or care that some purest tells me what words I have to use for referring to my hobby. I use it to kind of poke fun at serious people. Both come out of the end of a gun if you do everything right and boolits to me means cast not the J word ones.

Merry Christmas to all.

Ah, another old man after my own heart!

I prefer to use the proper terms for whatever I'm talking about just so I won't sound too dumm but I'm old enough to accept that I have neither the right nor the standing to get myself knotted up trying to correct other people.

And a Merry Christmas to you sir!

ddrDAN
12-30-2021, 01:35 PM
I, like many others, are researching reloading to evaluate if the time, effort, and cost is a viable option in combating the selfish unsportsmanlike "ammo holders" in this new generation of "mememe" shooters.

The fact that I had to waste time researching the word Boolit to understand that it's just a darn bullet makes it a pita. Humans have been casting bullets for hundreds of years. You're not the new 'boulle' messiah's.

Also, why is everyone putting "cast" in front of boolit? Are there other methods being used to make "Boolits? It's akin to saying "ink" pen. All pens have ink.

So if you're going to carry this boolit thing out how about you start a wiki page with all the specifications so we can follow this new bullet click cliché?

Red River Rick
12-30-2021, 07:43 PM
I, like many others, are researching reloading to evaluate if the time, effort, and cost is a viable option in combating the selfish unsportsmanlike "ammo holders" in this new generation of "mememe" shooters.

The fact that I had to waste time researching the word Boolit to understand that it's just a darn bullet makes it a pita. Humans have been casting bullets for hundreds of years. You're not the new 'boulle' messiah's.

Also, why is everyone putting "cast" in front of boolit? Are there other methods being used to make "Boolits? It's akin to saying "ink" pen. All pens have ink.

So if you're going to carry this boolit thing out how about you start a wiki page with all the specifications so we can follow this new bullet click cliché?

ddrDan:

You must be having a bad day by the sounds of your post.
Actually, the term "Boolit" is a parody of the actual word "Bullet", and it doesn't seem to bother the thousands of other members on this forum.

FYI, other than casting, Boolits can be made via "Swaging", "Machining" and or via "Sintering" (powdered metal). So, adding the word "Cast" before the word "Boolit" allows the distinction of the process used in manufacturing.

Hope that resolves your curiosity regarding the word "BOOLIT".

Red River Rick
CB Moderator.

1hole
12-30-2021, 07:48 PM
Wow, Danny, this is your first post and you already don't like us!

I do understand your confusion and resulting dilemma but when I don't want to associate with any group I just don't and the vexing problem is immediately solved! Do as you wish about this site but, who knows, my simplistic solution might work for you too.

Dan, whatever path you follow, know that I, for at least one laid back old castboolits hand, sure won't be trying to talk you into staying here! :)

Winger Ed.
12-30-2021, 08:04 PM
The fact that I had to waste time researching the word Boolit to understand that it's just a darn bullet makes it a pita.

Please pause while I laugh.....

But hey, if it really bothers you that much-

Get ahold of No.1. He's always been more than fair with the members here.
Present your case, and he may make 'boolit' a profane word that gets zapped by the site filter.
Heck, he might even change the name of the site, and it's logo to accommodate ya.

Rickf1985
12-30-2021, 08:09 PM
I think I pretty much figured out what boolits were in a first couple seconds on the site. Now, "J words" is another matter, that took a long time to find out. Of coarse, I could have just asked and actually I think That may have been how I found out was an answer to someone else asking. BUT, It is a private site and it is associated with bullet casting so they want to differentiate themselves from other sites. Not a big deal!! Roll with it, get used to it and it will become second nature. I still type bullets on here off and on and nobody says a thing.

ReloaderFred
12-30-2021, 11:25 PM

This post reminds me of the story of the guy in the big Mercedes who stops alongside the road and asks the farmer, "what are people like around here?" The wise old farmer asks the guy, "how are people where you come from?" The guy replies, "they're a bunch of jerks". The farmer replies, "well, son, I think you're probably going to find them the same here, judging by your answer".

I find it kind of rude to step into someone else's house and start putting them down for the way they talk, but that just may be me. It's usually a good idea to listen to the conversation some before chiming in with a contrary opinion. Just sayin'.

Hope this helps.

Fred

1hole
12-31-2021, 11:24 AM
..... I find it kind of rude to step into someone else's house and start putting them down for the way they talk, but that just may be me. It's usually a good idea to listen to the conversation some before chiming in with a contrary opinion. Just sayin'.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Don't want to be harsh but .... it's not only rude but poor judgement to open a conversation with unknown people and the first words out of the flapping mouth is to tell them how dumm they are. And I'd guess it takes quite an ego to do something that foolish.

Dale Carnegie once wrote a book he titled, "How to Win Friends and Influence People". It was a good book back then ... and it still is. :)

ReloaderFred
12-31-2021, 12:22 PM
Don't want to be harsh but .... it's not only rude but poor judgement to open a conversation with unknown people and the first words out of the flapping mouth is to tell them how dumm they are. And I'd guess it takes quite an ego to do something that foolish.

Dale Carnegie once wrote a book he titled, "How to Win Friends and Influence People". It was a good book back then ... and it still is. :)

:drinks:

Happy New Year!

todd9.3x57
12-31-2021, 02:22 PM
This post reminds me of the story of the guy in the big Mercedes who stops alongside the road and asks the farmer, "what are people like around here?" The wise old farmer asks the guy, "how are people where you come from?" The guy replies, "they're a bunch of jerks". The farmer replies, "well, son, I think you're probably going to find them the same here, judging by your answer".

I find it kind of rude to step into someone else's house and start putting them down for the way they talk, but that just may be me. It's usually a good idea to listen to the conversation some before chiming in with a contrary opinion. Just sayin'.

Hope this helps.

Fred

it sounds as if ddrdan is a "one and done".

Rickf1985
01-06-2022, 07:18 PM
His last activity on here was two hours after that post. Do ya think anyone will miss him?

todd9.3x57
01-06-2022, 07:35 PM
aaahhhhhhhhhhh.....no.

1hole
01-07-2022, 10:05 AM
His last activity on here was two hours after that post. Do ya think anyone will miss him?

Miss who? ;)

LAH
01-09-2022, 05:19 PM
Boolit to bullet is like Found On Rode Dead or Fools Ought to Ride Donkeys is to Ford. And for those prone to casting boolits let me add First On Race Day. [smilie=1::lol:

2A-Jay
01-09-2022, 05:57 PM
I was pointed to Cast B00lits by members of another forum when I got my Muzzle Loader. I try to jump in here at least once a day. I learn a lot from reading others posts. While I go by 2A-Jay you could call me Sir Lurks-Alot! If I have a question about making Boolits, if I can't find an answer I will ask. If this ain't the right place I will say sorry.

rockrat
01-10-2022, 05:51 PM
Maybe Dan is from the CBA site!!![smilie=s:. I know I finally dropped my membership with them after 30+ years, after that nasty diatribe they had there directed at the people here. I look at my old Fouling Shot mags now and then, but I just don't go there anymore.
This place is the primo spot for info, as far as I am concerned.

brass410
01-11-2022, 11:06 AM
bullet = projectile
boolit = cast lead projectile
Bull it = force ones ideals on another
Bull = male bouvine, usually ill tempered, when provoked capable of putting a hurt on something till sometime next week.
Bull = usual conversation around my work shop