PDA

View Full Version : Great Score

Boerrancher
11-26-2008, 09:53 AM
My cousin called me last night, which surprised me because he never calls unless it is important, since we use the same driveway. As it turned out it was important. He was on a job site yesterday and they dug up about 20 ft of old lead water main. He told me the minute he saw it hit the dirt pile he knew what it was and in less than a min later he had the operator chop it into a few pieces and drop it in the back of his truck. Now I have got to go get it out of his truck and into mine.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

DLCTEX
11-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Alright! It pays to get the word out to as many people as possible as you never know where lead will surface next. DALE

Bullshop
11-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Lucky rascal!!! I cant help to often wonder if our hoardings may one day fuel a revelution. Anyone else ever think thata way?
Blessings on ya!
BIC/BS

Boerrancher
11-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Lucky rascal!!! I cant help to often wonder if our hoardings may one day fuel a revelution. Anyone else ever think thata way?
Blessings on ya!
BIC/BS

My father started hording brass, bullets, primers, milsurp rifles, and powder right after the 1968 GCA was signed into law. This is one of the few habits he had that he passed on to me. Dad never was much into cast boolits, except for his hand guns and by the time I was seven I was casting those for him, as well as my 357 rifle. I picked up the casting habit from his best friend and now on top of maintaining a good stock of the aforementioned I collect lead also.

I don't know if our hoardings will ever fuel a revolution, but I do know that I and mine will not be without the tools and supplies needed to defend what we have worked so hard to earn.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

copdills
11-27-2008, 06:32 AM
Amen brothers

dakotashooter2
11-27-2008, 11:18 PM
There is still a considerable amount of lead service pipes in my community. Fortunately I work for the city and have access to it.

cattleskinner
11-28-2008, 01:29 AM
Same here, I got roughly 15-20 ft. of lead pipe the other day too. Some was water pipe, and the rest of it is lead pipe covering a large amount of copper wires wrapped in paper insulation. The town I work for has been doing some construction over the past couple of months and I found it lying in a pile of old water pipes. Anybody got any idea of how to get the lead coating off the wire short of melting in a pot together, pulling out the wire and then skimming the rest of the junk out? Great find by the way Joe.

~Amos:drinks:

454PB
11-28-2008, 01:38 AM
Anybody got any idea of how to get the lead coating off the wire short of melting in a pot together, pulling out the wire and then skimming the rest of the junk out? Great find by the way Joe.

~Amos:drinks:

Lay the lead covered wire on concrete, then start hitting it with an 8 pound sledgehammer. The lead will split and can then be pulled off of the copper and insulation.

Catshooter
11-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Cattleskinner,

Razor knife will do the trick.

Cat