PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Mod 100

WickedGoodOutdoors
11-25-2008, 04:49 PM
I may be taking a Winchester Mod 100 .308 cal semi-auto as part of a trade. Dont really want the rifle but I do want to sell the item and Ill allow the other guy a discount

what do you guys think about them?

what would it be worth?

MT Gianni
11-25-2008, 04:53 PM
AIRC there was a recall by Winchester a few years ago, maybe gas piston issues? I understand they are considered accurate for hunting not a match shooter. Gunbroker is a fair judge of values if you check sold prices not listed prices.

onceabull
11-25-2008, 05:11 PM
The recall on the Win.100's was caused by firing pin issues;for a while Winchester was paying smiths to replace those with a new part..Shooter grade in 308 W will bring @ $250 to 325. NIB probably $600 to 700... fwiw,Onceabull

runfiverun
11-25-2008, 11:59 PM
apparently it depends on where you are in the country, as mine 20 years ago cost 375.00
it did shoot the first two shots nearly in the same hole and the third 3/4" to the right.

Ben
11-26-2008, 12:07 AM
I owned the carbine Model 100 in 308 Win, My hunting friend owned the rifle version also in 308 Win. We bought ours in the " late 60's "

The 2 we had will go down in the history books as the two most unreliable semi - auto hunting rifles ever.

Misfires, jams, poor accuracy. I wouldn't give $25 for a brand new today.

Clearly , Winchester engineers didn't do their homework on this one. Few people that I've talked to that ever shot one have much respect for one. The Win. Model 88 on the other hand seemed to be a pretty accurate and reliable rifle.

Ben

Bret4207
11-26-2008, 09:15 AM
In my area a 100 or 88 will fetch $4-500.00 for a shooters example. A NIB would be closer to a grand.

Boerrancher
11-26-2008, 09:17 AM
I owned the carbine Model 100 in 308 Win, My hunting friend owned the rifle version also in 308 Win. We bought ours in the " late 60's "

The 2 we had will go down in the history books as the two most unreliable semi - auto hunting rifles ever.

Misfires, jams, poor accuracy. I wouldn't give $25 for a brand new today.

Sounds like the one that is in my closet. Before it came to my closet about 2 years ago, it sat in the back of dad's closet for the last 20 years. In my younger years I tried to get him to trade it or sell it. He kept telling me that he didn't want to have to pay someone to take it. When he gave it to me to hold on to for him when he moved closer to town, I thought I would play with it some. After all of the trouble I had with it, I wish dad would have left it in the closet of his old house.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

357maximum
11-26-2008, 09:27 PM
I have bought and then sold 2 of em...with a caveat added before each sale to ease my concience. I know a guy that has one he likes....personally I quit trying.

SharpsShooter
11-26-2008, 09:38 PM
apparently it depends on where you are in the country, as mine 20 years ago cost 375.00
it did shoot the first two shots nearly in the same hole and the third 3/4" to the right.

Thats about what a friend of mine described to me about his and the third shot never opened up the group to more than 1.5" Not a match gun perhaps but good enough that I watched him head shoot a deer at 225 paces. I believe he sold his for $400 several years ago.

SS

Larry Gibson
11-27-2008, 12:25 AM
I've played with several of them over the years though none with cast bullets. All function very reliably with factory .308W and US M80 ball. Equivelent handloads also funtioned without a hitch. Anything exotic and not in line with the factory time pressure curve of factory or US M80 caused problems. Obviously the gas system functioned within narrow parameters. All would put the first 3 shots into 2 moa or less and 5 shots into 3 moa, very adequate for 90+% of big game shots. Any of you want to get rid of that closet queen I am open to a gift.

Larry Gibson

C1PNR
11-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Dang, Larry, you beat me to it! I'm always up for a bit of a challange.

I'm still working on my .257 Roberts "Made in the 200th year of American Liberty" that just doesn't want to put any shot into close proximity to a previous one.:-?

Oh, well, enjoy your new "problem child.":coffee:

onceabull
11-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Plus 1 for r-five-r and Bret4xxx re: regional variations..Am somewhat surprised though on md.88's and l00's winnie 308s going at equal prices in Bret's trading area.. at equal condition here I would expect to get at least $ 300 more for an 88..and the differnce would likely be wider in the other two orig.chamberings. Not a winnie story but illustrative of regional price variability: I carried a 95%+ Sav.99C in 284 W.on our table thru 2 local shows,at $850 and $ 875 without so much as a lo-baller offer. During the 2nd show someone who recentlyy moved back to our trading area posted on another popular board about seeing my rifle on his saturday tour,I posted that I still was holding, and got three offers from E.of big Muddy in the next two hours.Sold to the first responder @ 875+ $45 S&H.. :veryconfu Onceabull