PDA

View Full Version : Crimping Gas Checks

jcw1970
11-25-2008, 04:31 PM
I use alox and the Lee sizer on my boolits. Is there some tool i can buy to crimp on gas checks? i really don't want to buy a 4500 just to crimp gas checks.

Irascible
11-25-2008, 04:35 PM
I should think that pushing the bullets through with the gas checks on should be good enough. Or wont they go through the sizer because of the enlarged cup? In that case, how about buying another die and having the lead end tapered?

jcw1970
11-25-2008, 04:47 PM
there just isn't enough down force on the base of the bullet when using the Lee. It will go through the sizer with no problem. the checks never seat fully on. you can press on with your thumb but it doesn't seat it all the way. you can pull it back off with no trouble. Plus i've invested a bit with the Lee sizers.

jonk
11-25-2008, 04:52 PM
I bet you are using Lyman checks aren't you?

The Lee dies will seat the hornadys just fine, but the Lyman is a slip on that simply doesn't crimp in place.

jcw1970
11-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Using old hornadys.

Hardcast416taylor
11-25-2008, 04:58 PM
Don`t laugh about my suggestion until you`ve tried it! Before you alox the bullets put a drop of super glue on the check and push it onto the bullet shank after about 30 min. you can alox the boolits and size them. Remember a good solvent for super glue is womens finger nail polish remover. Seat the boolit to the check on a piece of newspaper or small piece of plywood. Remember a small drop, not a big squirt of super glue! I use Loctite brand. [smilie=w:

Ricochet
11-25-2008, 05:38 PM
I've yet to have a Hornady check NOT crimp on when pushed through a Lee die. What boolits are you using, and what diameter sizer?

jcw1970
11-26-2008, 09:38 AM
lyman 311359 .309 sizer

jonk
11-26-2008, 10:01 AM
I think I read somewhere that OLD hornadys were not crimp on. Anyone remember or confirm this?

FWIW, it isn't the end of the world if they are loose, so long as they aren't seated below the neck. If they fall off once the bullet has exited the barrel, no harm done; I've had this happen with the aforementioned Lymans quite a bit and while it might theoretically impact accuracy in a bad way, I've yet to actually experience it.

Ricochet
11-26-2008, 10:18 AM
I don't know. I never saw Hornady checks in the old Shooters Bibles. When I first saw Hornady checks, they were accompanied by a lot of hype and hoopla about their inner lip that crimped into the boolit shank. Lyman was still selling the old noncrimping checks, which were alleged to be superior because they fell off at the muzzle.

shotman
11-27-2008, 09:27 AM
the ones in the tin can didnt crimp on Take your boolit and dip base in some LTL that is on a paper plate thinned by warming. Put GC on and then try one that may be enough to keep it there . If you are useing the 311413 you will have to get the new checks rick