PDA

View Full Version : Barn Swallows

JRLesan
05-08-2020, 11:17 PM
Instead of staying in my 120 year old barn, the swallows have been nesting atop my several light fixtures on my covered house porches for the last 30 years. I need a way to prevent their nest building other than my removing the beginnings of their (mostly mud) nests every few days. The mud on the porch floor comes first and later the droppings from the babies. Although they are fun to watch, I can see them any time I want down in the barn where I don't have to clean up after them. Ideas???

cwtebay
05-08-2020, 11:27 PM
Using chicken wire atop your fixtures helps. Use narrow strips with the exposed cut wires poking upwards and outwards. Sort of a poor man's version of the anti-pigeon strips you see around city buildings.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

blackthorn
05-09-2020, 11:10 AM
Hang up a couple of rubber snakes close to their nesting site.

varmintpopper
05-09-2020, 04:00 PM
How to Get Rid of Swallows

The best way to get rid of swallows is to be proactive and discourage them from building nests in the first place. There are several humane options for deterring swallows from landing or nesting on your property. Here are a few steps you can take to get rid of swallows:

If possible, clean and disinfect any previous nesting areas to remove scents that might be attractive to these birds.
Install a temporary physical barrier, such as Bird Netting under eaves and overhangs. Install the netting at an angle to block the birds from the protected portion of the wall under an eave or overhang.
Use Bird Slope to create an additional barrier between the swallow and a desired nesting spot.
Give the swallows an alternative by installing a swallow nesting box or platform on or near the home.
Remove Food Sources

Swallows may be attracted to your garden, lawn area or song bird feeders as a food source. Remove feeders to limit this attraction.
Remove leftover food on the ground and tables of open-air eateries. Tightly close all trash containers.
Discourage the feeding of swallows by children or employees.
Scare Tactics

Swallows are quick and alert to any perceived threats, so scare tactics can be highly effective.

Sound deterrents such as the Bird Chase Super Sonic play swallow distress calls, letting swallows know the area is not safe to nest in.
Create a visual distraction zone by hanging Visual Deterrents, such as the Flash Tape, Predator Eye Balloon and Reflective Eye Diverters.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Buzz Krumhunger
05-09-2020, 04:19 PM
Swallows are flying insect eaters, (think flies and mosquitos). So it seems unlikely that they’ll be attracted to song bird feeders. And I don’t know how children or employees would feed swallows unless they stink and attract flies. :bigsmyl2:

I suspect whoever wrote that doesn’t know the difference between swallows and sparrows.

Teddy (punchie)
05-09-2020, 04:52 PM
Swallows are flying insect eaters, (think flies and mosquitos). So it seems unlikely that they’ll be attracted to song bird feeders. And I don’t know how children or employees would feed swallows unless they stink and attract flies. :bigsmyl2:

I suspect whoever wrote that doesn’t know the difference between swallows and sparrows.

Yea someone is mixed up. Too much ?? They can't smell after having milk on hands, or if not milk other things that are not so clean. Placing babies back in the nest at night. Little things over flow the nest. No way they can smell, from oil, sweat, to you name it, it is a barn. All I ever did was pick them up and hold my hands over the nest until they calmed down and slowly remove my hands. When I was small youngster I'd checked out the eggs and even there babies they never left a nest.

Hang something like a smooth tin (AL) cover around it. They don't like the change, taking nest down doesn't work for long. Better yet make a bag to catch the waste, and letter them multiply. They are cute, they eat enough bugs.