PDA

View Full Version : Pp ???

NSP64
11-24-2008, 09:46 PM
hey all, I was wondering .... when wrapping the boolit does it mater what direction you wrap it?I mean if the rifleing goes left when viewed from the breech what direction do you wrap?:confused:

docone31
11-24-2008, 10:15 PM
I try to wrap so the patch tightens up. I am not sure if it is that critical however. I also use smokeless.
I am not sure, the patch can loosen up once it is engraved. I also use a cigarette roller and get confused when wrapping. I also wrapped a bunch upside down.
However you wrap, the first part of the wrap starts at the ogive, not at the base. Most of my rifleing is right hand, so I am doing it to tighten most times. Exception however is my Smelly. It is left hand. I am getting daggoned good groups wrapping contrary to what I just wrote down.
If the rifleing goes left, I think the patch goes left also. That would be so it tightens on engraveing.

NSP64
11-24-2008, 11:41 PM
That's clear as mud.

docone31
11-25-2008, 12:03 AM
Yeah, I reread it, and confused myself.
What are you wrapping?
My concept of what I have been told is the theory, the patch enters the rifleing, then the lands depress and begin engraving the lead.
If a patch is wrapped contrary to the rifleing, it could back off the casting a little. I am not sure I have had that happen.
I wrap in my roller, so the wrap is to the right. When I twist my tails I twist to the left. This seems to tighly twist the tail without unwrapping the patch.
Now, in my Smelly, it has left hand rifleing. I wrap to the right. I get great groups with full tilt loads, no gas checks. This is wrapping opposite of what has been told to do in wrapping.
I am getting amazing results. My angles on the wrap are a little loose in degrees. Mostly by eyeball. One always overlaps a little, more on top than on bottom of the wrap. I also final size to .314. Went through Lee Precision to get that done.
Bottom line.
I am not sure, with my smokeless load, it makes a difference if I wrap to the right, or left. Both ways shoot well. Great groups, and I have done the 3-point bedding reccomended for the Smelly. Should at least do what it did when the barrel was cool.
I can see though, with the larger calibers at longer ranges, a need for precise wrapping. I am going to have to leave that up to the big boys here. I only have experience with my .303 British, and .308s. One of the .308s has twist to the right, one has twist to the left. I wrap to the right for both, and get great results.
I find, paper patching, very forgiving. Much more so than with plain cast loads.
I got crap for results with gas check loads without paper.
20min of berm was a good day.

StrawHat
11-25-2008, 01:10 PM
hey all, I was wondering .... when wrapping the boolit does it mater what direction you wrap it?I mean if the rifleing goes left when viewed from the breech what direction do you wrap?:confused:

I find it works best if you wrap around the circular direction. If you wrap end for end it doesn't fold evenly and accuracy suffers. :kidding:

Never really gave it any thought. I usually have the boolit nose to the right and wrap the patch as I roll the boolit away from me.

I doubt if the difference would amount to fractions of MOA but who knows.

montana_charlie
11-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Lay the paper strip flat, with the bullet on top, and roll the bullet away from you to wrap the paper.
If you have left hand rifling, the nose of the bullet should point left when you are rolling the paper on.

Still muddy?
CM

NSP64
11-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Lay the paper strip flat, with the bullet on top, and roll the bullet away from you to wrap the paper.
If you have left hand rifling, the nose of the bullet should point left when you are rolling the paper on.

Still muddy?
CM

Crystal clear:-D If it is rh rifling point boolit right.

docone31
11-25-2008, 07:55 PM
I told you the biggees would help out.
They sure helped me out.