PDA

View Full Version : Is PayPal any good?

Patrick L
05-01-2020, 10:26 AM
Not sure where to put this, but here goes...

I admit I'm a dinosaur. A real 20th century man.

I see lots of places (ebay, some of our GBs, lots of online merchants) use PayPal. I never have, mostly because I don't know what it is. Is there any advantage to using that as opposed to just using a credit card?

MT Gianni
05-01-2020, 10:30 AM
For a leftist anti gun money moving business they are effective.

Patrick L
05-01-2020, 10:32 AM
OK thanks. Can you elaborate on how Paypal actually works, minus the rant?

waksupi
05-01-2020, 11:13 AM
I've used it for years. Best thing is, it gives a middleman who protects you from fraud. If someone doesn't deliver, they take the money away from them. If using for business, never use the "Friends and Family" dodge like some do. They don't cover those transactions.

Der Gebirgsjager
05-01-2020, 11:13 AM
If you go to: www.paypal.com you can work your way through it. First you have to sign up, then sign up to receive and send money. Both easy, and you use your e-mail address for both activities. You'll have to link them to your checking account, so that they can remove and deposit funds.

Be aware that they are very intrusive if you let them be. They will also try to get you to sign up for their credit card after a few successful transactions. I know that you don't want the rant, but you should know that they will sometimes refuse to process a transaction if they become aware that it is for a firearm, or sometimes even firearm related. This can spoil a deal for you and potentially hurt your reputation with the seller/merchant with whom you are trying to do business, or at the least be annoying and a waste of time. They have two basic methods of payment, for services, and for friends and family. If for services the merchant pays their fee, and if for friends and family you pay the fee. You have to be aware of which method you're using, because some merchants desire to be paid the full asking price and not minus the fee and will themselves cancel the transaction if they're losing that 2%. Because of their anti-gun stance you will find many sellers will not accept pay pal for payment and insist on a USPS money order, etc.

Although I do not personally like doing business with them, there have been times that I was snowed in and couldn't get to the post office to obtain a money order or mail a check, and they were the best way to close a transaction quickly.

Patrick L
05-01-2020, 11:56 AM
Thank you!

I don't mind the information about their political leanings. It's good to know who you're dealing with.

rancher1913
05-01-2020, 12:01 PM
I really wish there was another like it that was more gun friendly and less political but they make it easy to do transactions, and they do protect you from a dishonest employee stealing your credit card numbers. its a big pain to collect your money from them unless you tie it to your bank account.

Finster101
05-01-2020, 12:02 PM
I have used PayPal for several years and have never had them block a transaction. Many of them made on this forum.

Smoke4320
05-01-2020, 12:09 PM
Patrick
I would suggest you do a lot of online research of the negative reviews with paypal.
https://mywifequitherjob.com/why-paypal-freezes-or-limits-accounts-and-how-to-prevent-this-from-happening-to-you/

If you decide to proceed using them I suggest you setup a separate bank account and have money for sales transferred there THEN move that money to your normal account

I use them and have for many years. All my guns/ammo/gun parts sales will NOT USE Paypal. Our account was frozen for about a month one time Hence the above advice

you should also look at Zelle. Might be a better solution for you

jimlj
05-01-2020, 12:40 PM
I don't like PayPal's politics, but that could be said of many business that I've given my money to. I disagree with some of Targets policy's, but sometimes they are the only place that has what I need at the time. I don't like some of AT&T's policy's, but a large percentage of phone and internet is transmitted over their wire. I don't like Google's policy's but I can't find a better search engine, and Android phones use their software. I don't care much for Walmart, but they are sometimes the only game in town. I don't like Dicks sporting goods, but there are so many other places to take my money I don't ever have to go there.

I don't like that PayPal is anti gun, but sometimes there is no better way to do online business. I've used them for years, and until something better comes along, I'll continue to do so.

Shawlerbrook
05-01-2020, 12:46 PM
They are convenient and like many things these days...a necessary evil.

skrapyard628
05-01-2020, 01:04 PM
You dont always have to set up an account with paypal. Even for places that exclusively use paypal for payment you can usually use the GUEST feature for paypal and checkout without actually creating an account.

knifemaker
05-01-2020, 01:21 PM
Double post.:veryconfu

knifemaker
05-01-2020, 01:23 PM
I make and sell custom hunting knives and have been using PayPal for over 10 years without any complaints. I have a separate bank account for my knife business that is connected to PayPal. On one occasion I ordered a custom firearm sight and the seller never sent it. I contacted PayPal and they refunded my money as sales using the normal channel, where they charge a small fee, gives protection to the buyer. My customers who may want to use PayPal, but do not have a PayPal account, can use a credit card to pay with Paypal.
As for PayPal being anti gun, if you use a computer you can bet your web browser company is also anti gun. PayPal will allow gun parts to be paid for that is purchased on Ebay. They will not allow firearm transactions or ammo and cases, primers, powder or bullets as they got sued one time over ammo purchased and the purchaser used the ammo to shoot up some people. Other words their lawyers told them to remove the liability by stopping sales of ammo and reloading supplies.
If you are going to conduct numerous sales or buying, PayPal will make the sales easier for receiving payment or sending payment to the seller.
I offer my customers two options to pay, PayPal or postal money order. About 60-70 percent choose to use PayPal.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-01-2020, 01:24 PM
Patrick L,
Maybe you know this or maybe you don't?
But no one else said the obvious.
Paypal is a Bank...a online Bank.

You can use it to pay people, like a Credit card.
But unlike a Credit card, people can pay you.
Paypal is NOT credit, but they do offer a separate credit card, so it can be credit.

As waksupi said, if you use it to pay someone, using the correct option, it does protect you from fraud, just like some credit cards do...but there are fees with that, just like a credit card. Paypal offers "No fee" (free) money transfers, for "friends and family" but there is no fraud protection with that.

Hope this helps.

Scrounge
05-01-2020, 01:39 PM
Patrick
I would suggest you do a lot of online research of the negative reviews with paypal.
https://mywifequitherjob.com/why-paypal-freezes-or-limits-accounts-and-how-to-prevent-this-from-happening-to-you/

If you decide to proceed using them I suggest you setup a separate bank account and have money for sales transferred there THEN move that money to your normal account

I use them and have for many years. All my guns/ammo/gun parts sales will NOT USE Paypal. Our account was frozen for about a month one time Hence the above advice

you should also look at Zelle. Might be a better solution for you

Just duckduckgo'd Zelle, and considering who owns them, I wouldn't ever give them a try, personally. BofA, among others. Not ever doing business with those folks. Been using paypal since they were established, never had a problem. I started there as a buyer & occasional seller at ebay. I use the Friends and Family option in two situations. I own/co-own several metalworking groups on a site called groups.io, which were formerly on Yahoo. Some of the larger groups have an annual fee because of how much storage we use. I take donations from the members to help me pay the charges, and accept them to my paypal account as F&F transactions. I also pay for Swapping&Selling transactions here at Cast Boolits using the F&F option. As long as they're business-like, I'm willing to let them have their political leanings. I strongly disagree with them, but so far they haven't intruded on my particular political leanings. That ever changes, I may change my mind, too.

gpidaho
05-01-2020, 01:39 PM
I use paypal and have a paypal debit card that lets me spend money in my account as with any bank card. Also, I use paypal credit as my default setting and pay the total before any interest is added. It isn't as easy to get a refund as some make it seem. I was scammed by a China deal where a small belt sander sharpening tool was offered. All I received were a few sanding belts and no tool. My option was to receive $6 back of the $36 or return the belts to China at my expense and receive a conformation from seller that they had been returned. To have paypal look into the matter. I'm one that doesn't use the friend and family option as I believe in paying my due when I use a service BUT until I get my money back on the scam I may be more open to that option. Rant over. Gp

Bazoo
05-01-2020, 01:51 PM
If I'm not mistaken, you must have paypal to shop and sell on ebay. Ebay is a good place for buying and selling reloading and gun stuff sometimes. Sometimes it's the only place to find a particular part.

I've had paypal hold transactions for gun companies but they did to through eventually. I can't remember which company, midway, brownells, optics planet.

Scrounge
05-01-2020, 02:01 PM
If I'm not mistaken, you must have paypal to shop and sell on ebay. Ebay is a good place for buying and selling reloading and gun stuff sometimes. Sometimes it's the only place to find a particular part.

I've had paypal hold transactions for gun companies but they did to through eventually. I can't remember which company, midway, brownells, optics planet.

No, you don't have to have it, though it does make things easier. You can pay with a regular credit card, too. You can use Paypal elsewhere, too. I just installed the kitchen range I bought from Home Depot and had delivered to my house from the store for free, using my Paypal account. (wrote that as range, realized that it would have a somewhat different meaning in this forum. WISH I could have a real range sent from HD. ;)

MaryB
05-01-2020, 02:07 PM
Been on paypal forever... only had a couple issues and since I have ran close to $50k thru them over the years they tend to bend over backwards for me and cover it

Patrick L
05-01-2020, 03:10 PM
Lots of good advice here, thank you all!

I have bought on ebay using the guest feature, and just used my credit card. Truth is, I don't really think I need this for buying. I rarely sell anything online, except occasionally here, and in that case I trust the forum members and accept their checks or money orders.

The reason I am considering it is that, due to recent circumstances, I will be selling some fairly pricey musical instruments on forums similar to this one, just music oriented.

I guess I would definitely set up a neutral bank account, I have heard they can freeze accounts linked to them. I also might just set this up to accomplish what I want to do, then just shut it all down when I'm done with it.

Thank you again for all the advice!

rancher1913
05-01-2020, 08:15 PM
a word of caution on pricey musical instruments. a friend sold a really old squeeze box that belonged to his grandmother, it had some kind of fancy internals and was a top of the line accordion. guy bought it and my friend shipped it, guy got it not problem, about a week later the guy says its not as described and returned it, my friend got it back but it was missing all the fancy parts and was useless, my friend tried to stop the payment return and was denied so he was stuck with a ruined accordion and no money.

am44mag
05-01-2020, 08:33 PM
Optics Planet lists PayPal as a payment option, and I have used it to buy AR parts there. I believe that their main issue is with the actual buying and selling of firearms. You can get the payment past them very easily, but should there be an issue with the transaction, they will not only not help you, but they will likely lock your account and possibly seize any funds in it (PayPal account, not bank account) when they find out that it was for a firearm.

I do not like their politics, but they have a very good system for sending money and nobody else offers a similar system on a widespread scale. They basically have a monopoly. As already stated in this thread, if you choose to avoid every anti-gun business, you are going to have a very hard time of it. You might as well unplug your computer, toss your phone, and give up most modern luxuries.

am44mag
05-01-2020, 08:34 PM
a word of caution on pricey musical instruments. a friend sold a really old squeeze box that belonged to his grandmother, it had some kind of fancy internals and was a top of the line accordion. guy bought it and my friend shipped it, guy got it not problem, about a week later the guy says its not as described and returned it, my friend got it back but it was missing all the fancy parts and was useless, my friend tried to stop the payment return and was denied so he was stuck with a ruined accordion and no money.

That sounds like a lawsuit.

PayPal almost always sides with the buyer, which is one of their biggest issues. They offer buyer protection, but no real seller protection.

William Yanda
05-01-2020, 08:39 PM
I use PP. I do not agree with their anti-gun policies, but they have been an effective means for me to collect for Ebay sales. They charge .30 plus a percentage per sale. To me, it is a cost of doing business, similar to postage, packaging supplies, etc. I carry PP plastic and find it an easy means to tap into my funds. I don't remember having the card refused. Transfers between "friends and family", not for goods or services, incur no fees. I do not feel bad about paying the fee because they do offer protection for the buyer.
The advantage over a cc for me is that transactions are not scrutinized by SWMBO.

knifemaker
05-02-2020, 12:10 AM

That was a mistake on the part of the seller. He should have waited until he got the item back to examine it to see if it was in the same condition that he sent it. Returning the payment before getting the item back allowed the buyer to remove the funds from his account before any complaint was lodged with Paypal. Only option left is small claims court that is not worth it if buyer was in another state or far from the seller's location.

abunaitoo
05-02-2020, 02:15 AM
I don't like them, but I do use them.
They are rabbit anti-gun.
Donate to every anti-gun group possible.
Support every anti-gun damacrat.

Lloyd Smale
05-02-2020, 06:17 AM
yup I use it because I had my credit card hacked twice just using the card. Much safer with paypal.
I've used it for years. Best thing is, it gives a middleman who protects you from fraud. If someone doesn't deliver, they take the money away from them. If using for business, never use the "Friends and Family" dodge like some do. They don't cover those transactions.

ioon44
05-02-2020, 08:37 AM
This is where I am with paypal also "I don't like them, but I do use them. They are rabbit anti-gun." I look at it this way , if we use paypal for gun related purpose's, then paypal is being used for something they are against. The left being the hypocrites they are they will always take the money.

ascast
05-02-2020, 08:58 AM
All above is true. I have an account, and pp credit card. Best thing when you buy something, you can pay for it and DONE. No stops at the post, which I tend to forget to do. I wish there was a gun friendly alternative that was as quick and convenient and universally accepted. Get your self hooked up.

Geezer in NH
05-02-2020, 03:39 PM
I was with them when they started until they burnt me for 8K over there politik. Took over 6 months to get my money back. I have to thank the NH AG office for getting it for me.

I will never use them again.

Alan in Vermont
05-02-2020, 05:24 PM
I've been using PP for probably 10 years. Now I ask my buyers to send me their PP info, then I send them an invoice. After that it's all super easy, once they pay it's only a click or two to print the shipping label and schedule a pickup, all without having to wrestle with the USPS site, in addition to that the shipping is at some(cheaper)rate and the difference in shipping cost pretty much covers the PP transaction fee. Even at full fee it's way cheaper/easier than messing with USPS money orders.

trapper9260
05-02-2020, 06:28 PM
One of the mold company on that dose group buys MP they use PP. and did not have problems with it,Just do not use it often when I see I do not need to. They did took care of a problem that I had in the past that I bought some items from someone on Ebay and the person did not send the items So I contact PP and got my money back. No problems after that .

higgins
05-03-2020, 02:07 PM
I opened a Paypal account years ago, primarily for buying parts and tools on ebay; at that time many small vendors didn't take a credit card. The last time I bought things on ebay, all the vendors I used took CCs. After my Paypal acct. being idle a couple of years I closed it because I just do not like an account of any kind out there for someone to access when I'm not using it.

For buying from individuals, like here, I have yet to find anyone that will not take either a personal check if the purchase isn't too big, or a USPS money order for a larger purchase.

Randy Bohannon
05-03-2020, 04:18 PM
I like for everywhere it is used, keeps my bank info from the seller, just me and Pay Pal. I also use a special debit card tied to it for purchases, put $ in the account before I spend . Zero fraud charges, not so with any other Electronic/internet transaction except with a VPN

Bazoo
05-03-2020, 06:24 PM
No, you don't have to have it, though it does make things easier. You can pay with a regular credit card, too. You can use Paypal elsewhere, too. I just installed the kitchen range I bought from Home Depot and had delivered to my house from the store for free, using my Paypal account. (wrote that as range, realized that it would have a somewhat different meaning in this forum. WISH I could have a real range sent from HD. ;)

Perhaps it's just to sell? I don't sell a lot, but have sold some in the past. Been so long now since i set it up I can't remember.

That's pretty good, just bought a new range...

tinsnips
05-03-2020, 06:59 PM
I have been using them for a long time for my business ,have a credit card connected with my account. I don't get my credit card hacked when using PayPal . I wish I could say that for my regular credit card use have been hacked numerous times.

Stick_man
05-04-2020, 12:40 AM
We use PayPal as an option at work for receiving payment from our customers. IF you sell anything that is being paid for through PP, please make sure you require a PP verified shipping address. With that, you get the seller protection that some have mentioned. Make sure you ship via common carrier (USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc.) and get tracking information. If the buyer is fraudulent, you can get burned without the protection. Buyers can still claim the item wasn't received or it was different than the description, but the more documentation you have, the safer you will be against fraud. I would guess that PayPal sides with the buyer in probably around 90% of all cases without the seller protection. Transaction fees are typically in the 3-5% range for domestic transactions. Tack on another 1-2% if foreign and their exchange rates are nowhere near the best available.

Gobeyond
05-04-2020, 03:52 AM
I like to buy on PayPal because no fees. But selling is easy and dependable.

Scrounge
05-04-2020, 04:08 AM
Perhaps it's just to sell? I don't sell a lot, but have sold some in the past. Been so long now since i set it up I can't remember.

That's pretty good, just bought a new range...

Haven't sold anything but books since I crashed my teaching career, and there was a long gap between that and selling all the Sailor Moon anime stuff my daughters suddenly outgrew a few years before that. Do buy now and again. Finally found a primer arm for my Spar-T press there a few weeks ago, been looking for one on and off for over 20 years. The odd camera, book, or tool, these days. Someone's trying to sell a set of indexing center for an Atlas mill for $800. He had no takers with 14 hours to go, and they usually sell for $123-178 according to the offer tool, so I offered $100. Probably won't get it, but who knows. I keep looking for a small mill near enough that I can pick it up, but no joy there, either, so far. Gotta be patient, I keep telling myself. ;)

MaryB
05-04-2020, 03:56 PM
On very high dollar rare items INSIST on postal money orders for the amount and verify them before shipping. I will let them clear my bank also. Papypal is fine fo rsmall day to day stuff, under $300(or whatever you max you can afford to lose...).

Gar
05-04-2020, 07:44 PM
I've been using PayPal for over 10 years.

As a buyer I have never had a problem with them.

As a seller I was stung once about 8 years by a buyer that claimed the item received was not as described (it was a SWL radio and in working condition). He shipped it back after he remove the power transformer from it. PayPal refunded his money and I was stuck with the radio.

Since then, I have had three more buyers over 8 years remove parts and try to get a refund from PayPal, NOT ONE OF THEM SUCCEEDED!
The way I protect myself is to take pictures of the item (inside and out) before and during the packaging. I have sent those pictures and the pictures of the returned items to PayPal during those three disputes indicating what parts had been removed and PayPal denied the buyer's claim in all three cases.

If you use PayPal, or any other service to sell items be sure to document as much as you can.

EDG
05-05-2020, 01:31 PM
I began using Paypal as soon as it came out about 1998 or so.
Back then I could buy brass and bullets on ebay.
I have sold mostly gun related items and I have never had a problem with crooks.
Ebay sellers sometimes play dumb or delibratly try to hide flaws in merchandise. So far I have only had a few unsatisfactory transactions. Paypal fixed all they were involved in.
I had one stinker because I bought a knife displayed with very poor photos. It was the guy's first transaction and I ruined his reputation with my feedback.

Rigsby
05-05-2020, 04:22 PM
Been on paypal forever... only had a couple issues and since I have ran close to $50k thru them over the years they tend to bend over backwards for me and cover it

I can second that statement.

Never had any problems and use them every day on eBay.