PDA

View Full Version : 155 or 160 grain 7.62x39?

superior
11-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Hi all: I'm getting ready to purchase a set of Lee moulds for 7.62x39. I want a soft recoiling load that both cycles the action on my SKS paratrooper and dumps the empties right at my feet. I do NOT want to use gas-checks. Should I buy the 155 or the 160 grain? I would rather shoot the heaviest boolit that will do the job as long as they fit in the magazine ( standard 10 round military mag). I'll need some load suggestions also. I have a good supply of h4895 and bullseye. Can I use any of these powders for a mild load that wont lead up the barrell without using gas-checks? If so, will they fit,cycle gently and spit them out near by?
All replies appreciated, thanks

NSP64
11-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Welcome, use the search tab at the top, we have alot of articles on 7x39 loading. I myself load IMR 4895 @ 22. gr to cycle my Yugo (with the gas cutoff valve open) and there is a mod you can do for the gas system to lower the force of ejection. I use the lee 155gr and 180 gr both with GC.
You can also left click on my call (nsp64) over to the left<----------- scroll down to 'find more posts by' left click ,then go to the right,click the arrow button(>) on the 'pages', choose page 12 and there are more articles.

jonk
11-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Well, I never have had much luck without a gas check if the bullet was designed to have one, at least not with enough oomph to cycle an sks.

I've used 14-16 gr of 2400 with good operation that dumps them pretty much at my feet, and the 160gr bullet.

The bullseye would be good at like 4-5 gr for a 'cat sneeze' load but sure won't cycle the action.

The 4895 might work but I really think you'll need a gc to realize anything from that.