PDA

View Full Version : Which Sizer?

Halo_Ranger
11-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Well I went ahead and ordered a Star. For the volume of shooting my wife and I are doing it made the best sense. Now do I need hollow sticks of lube or solid sticks?

Well I have taken the plunge into casting. So far it has been a fun venture. However it has come to my attention I am going to need a sizer for my boolits to chamber properly. I am casting the Lee RNFP 200 gr for .45's. Most are turning out between .453 to .454 and won't chamber. I had a handful turn out at .452 and they chamber fine. I am shooting around 200 rounds a week. Which lubri sizer would the masses recommend? I realize this is a loaded question. I have looked at the 4500, RCBS, Saeco, and possibly a Star. I will also be casting 9mm after my .45 stores are built up as I have less for it at this time.

870TC
11-24-2008, 12:27 PM
All the ones you mentioned are good. The Lyman and/or RCBS are the easiest to learn how to use.

Sprue
11-24-2008, 01:22 PM
It all depends on you and your pocketbook, how much time you have, how much you cast, and how often you shoot.

Having little time would lean towards a Star yet the most expensive route to go.

I expect that most reloaders would have either the Lyman or RCBS when speaking of grease groove boolit styles. The dies for these two presses DO interchange.

Halo_Ranger
11-26-2008, 12:48 PM
New question first post.

crabo
11-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Doesn't matter which one you use. Buying your lube from Lar's is the way to go if you don't want to make your own.

Halo_Ranger
11-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Doesn't matter which one you use. Buying your lube from Lar's is the way to go if you don't want to make your own.

I was actually going to order the BAC lube. However since I have never used a sizer I thought it best to ask to avoid getting something I didn't need. Thanks for the quick answer.

GabbyM
11-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Wise choice. I ordered my second one last week. One for black powder lube and one for smokeless. Ponied up for the heater too. Of course a couple new molds and other gadgets. May just as well run that bill up while I'm at it.

You'll need the solid sticks.
I usually take a putty knife and cut off an inch or so to make it easier to get the plunger screwed back on. Melting down the pieces later. Their is a vent hole on the back of the lube reservoir that is max level for lube. Any lube over that will be squeezed from it as you cram the piston down. If you end up with some hollow sticks or other lube pieces I find it best to melt them down then poor the liquid in the machine. Otherwise I always end up with air in my lube which is annoying.

runfiverun
11-26-2008, 04:43 PM
you can tumblelube your lee boolits and still run them thru the starr.
i dip lube some of mine, let them dry ,and hand feed them into the star, i have to wipe up the extra lube every few boolits but it just goes back into the cup to be used later.
if i get hollow sticks somehow. i just mash them up or melt in the microwave. and roll them till the air is gone.

cajun shooter
11-27-2008, 09:38 AM
You get more lube using the solid stick and thats the correct one for Star. Lars lube BAC is the lube for most cast bullet loads. It will require a little heat if in a cold place. If you don't buy the heater,mount the star on a piece of aluminum. Allow enough size to place a travel iron purchased from Wally World. If you size alot then buy the air cylinder; it makes the whole process easy. The $27 shovel handle helped alot. Rubbed a blister on my hand before buying. The air cylinder can be run on a air tank, you don't need a pancake or other compressor. You can also add lube so much easier with the air cylinder. The air hole in the back can be blocked off using clamps and apiece of metal or leather. This allows you to use 6in lube sticks. Buy your sizing dies from lathesmith on this site.

Halo_Ranger
11-27-2008, 11:04 AM
You get more lube using the solid stick and thats the correct one for Star. Lars lube BAC is the lube for most cast bullet loads. It will require a little heat if in a cold place. If you don't buy the heater,mount the star on a piece of aluminum. Allow enough size to place a travel iron purchased from Wally World. If you size alot then buy the air cylinder; it makes the whole process easy. The $27 shovel handle helped alot. Rubbed a blister on my hand before buying. The air cylinder can be run on a air tank, you don't need a pancake or other compressor. You can also add lube so much easier with the air cylinder. The air hole in the back can be blocked off using clamps and apiece of metal or leather. This allows you to use 6in lube sticks. Buy your sizing dies from lathesmith on this site.

To all thanks for the many informative replies. I can understand the need for the shovel handle. The round ball on my Dillon lasted 1 session before I changed it for the roller handle. I am looking to size and lube about 5k each of 45 and 9mm and then putting it up for 6-8 months This amount will cover my shooting for almost the whole time frame. As far as the lube I was hoping the solid sticks would be what was needed. I have already contacted Lathesmith about dies and will be ordering them soon. Magma told me it would be 1-2 weeks before shipping. They have sold out of their last run and are doing another one to catch up. With the lead sources I have found, my casting equipment will pay for itself in less than 3k boolits.