PDA

View Full Version : Powder horn value

jonk
11-24-2008, 10:45 AM
My dad makes his own powder horns as a hobby. We've accumulated about 30 of them now, more than we ever need to actually use. I've told him he should try to sell 1 or 2 just to see what they'd go for, and he's up for that.

However, we don't know what would be a fair price. These are heavily inlayed and scrimshawed, about 9" long. What does a handmade horn run these days?

Updated: I attached 4 pics of the only one I have on me right now. This is a fairly plain one with a nice stipled scrimshaw pattern and maple inlay. And a big piece of bone with the Star Trek Federation Delta. What can I say, I was 14 at the time he made it. :)

StrawHat
11-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Plain finished horn go between 20 and 50 at the Log Cabin Shop. Not sure about the fancy ones.

Are you near the Log Cabin? Lodi, Ohio, Medina County.

Good place to visit if you have the time. I get there every couple of years, can't afford to go more frequently!

jonk
11-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Yes, I've been there a number of times. Good place.

missionary5155
11-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Well you could post some pictures... I would be willing to share a price idea.

mooman76
11-24-2008, 08:43 PM
If marketed right and they look real good you could get over $100 a piece. You might try an auction site with a couple and see how they do.

missionary5155
11-25-2008, 04:21 AM
Good morning Jonk THOSE are NICE ! I agree with MooMan76... Decorated horns are man-hour intensive. I have seen hand crafted horns at Friendship and the Lafayette, Indiana Festival for $200+++++ I have not been there for 3 years now... I would not be surprised this example to be in the $150 + area.
Me I use a plain old cow horn to shoot with and have a Scrimshawed one hanging at home.

StrawHat
11-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Those are definately not plain horns. There must be a muzzleloading forum to check for prices. I am not going to even venture a guess.

They do look nice.

reivertom
11-25-2008, 05:59 PM
That whole business is really tied in with period correctness and historical accuracy, so if he made horns that he could market for various time periods that pass muster among the knowledgeable, he could get the most money for his work. Patina and subject matter are very important too. I've seen really well made horns go for $300.00 to $400.00 . Not from poor folks like me though!

WickedGoodOutdoors
11-25-2008, 07:36 PM
John K.

That looks like something your dad made especially for you. Dont sell it at any price. You wont get maybe $10 for it but you will regret it for the rest of your life. You willl always think back that your dad made that just for you and you pissed it away.

jhrosier
11-25-2008, 08:19 PM
That is a very nice piece of work.
I would not be surprised to see it offered at $125-$150, or even higher if it was made to order for a customer.
The price should be a reflection of what you value you place your skill and artistic abilities.

Jack

mikenbarb
11-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Just send me a sample to try out and give you an estimate of value.LOL.:wink:
The best place to get an approximate value is evil-bay. Look and see whats close and how much it sells for and that will put you in the ballpark of what their worth because theirs millions of buyers there with lots of knowledge.