PDA

View Full Version : Mould Lube?

Castnshoot
11-24-2008, 12:35 AM
Do I have to lube the mould before casting? If so, what do I need to lube, how much, and with what? Thanks in advance!

osage
11-24-2008, 04:53 AM
Castnshoot. I replied to another post of yours and that may answer your question.

copdills
11-24-2008, 06:47 AM
yes and check out the bull shop for bull plate lube its the best

Chunky Monkey
11-24-2008, 08:21 AM
I just started casting not too long ago and I'll second bull plate lube! Only costs a few bucks and it will last a lifetime! I've even applied it to the top of my Lee Magnum Melter. No lead sticking or nasty rust coloring, still looks new!

Wayne Smith
11-24-2008, 08:38 AM
DO NOT lube the cavities of the mold! Lube only the top of the mold with Bull Plate and the alignment pins. Nothing else unless you lube the bolt on the handles.

Springfield
11-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Don't forget to lube the pivot pin.

jeffwhetstone
11-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Let me jump on the Bull Plate bandwagon. Just picked up my first bottle from Dan a few weeks ago and used it to break in a pair of new Lee 6-cavities.

Threw about 1K out of each in an afternoon and when I was done both molds looked like they just came out of the box (minus the aluminum shavings and cutting oil, of course).

The stuff works.

KennethF
11-25-2008, 12:37 AM
I take it from reading the above replys that Bull Plate is used to coat mold blocks, but ot the cavities and to lubricate the pivit pins and the hinge. What is Bull Plate and who is the supplier?

jeffwhetstone
11-25-2008, 12:53 AM
exactly. just use it on top of the blocks, under the sprue plate, the alignment and pivot pins. No lube required for the cavities....although you may want to smoke them with a wooden match.

check out the link for "The Bullshop" at the bottom of the page.

you can read more about it here:
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=3412