PDA

View Full Version : 336---Scope

mag_01
12-19-2005, 11:56 PM
:D I have held off for a long time but my eyes are going so I have given into useing a scope ----- my question is whats involved puting a scope on my marlin 336 ------ what do I need for a mount?----can I do it myself?-----how dose mount attach to rifle? ----- what power would be good for 336 marlin 30-30---shoots lead well------ I love open sites but the time has come----any help would be great-------Thx.----Mag_01 [smilie=s:

felix
12-20-2005, 12:25 AM
Strongly consider a red dot scope. ... felix

crazy mark
12-20-2005, 01:09 AM
Is the top drilled and tapped. If so you can use a weaver mount or any of the other mounts. I personally like the 1.5x4.5 or so small scopes. I keep them as low to the top as possible and use an offset hammer spur. If just target shooting the red dot sights are nice. If not drilled and tapped have a good gunsmith do the work. Some people don't like the idea of drilling and tapping an older 336 but if your eyes need it so be it. Mark

9.3X62AL
12-20-2005, 01:50 AM
Ditto to Mark's comments. Like you, my days of falcon eyesight are in the dim, distant past--and if I want to REALLY know what a levergun can do downrange, it takes a scope to find it sometimes. I did this with the Marlin 94 in 25-20, and will re-install a receiver aperture after the R&D and load work is done. Same story with the Marlin 94 x 32-20......scope will get used for load testing, and may stay atop it with the arrangement mentioned by Mark. A 4-power would do for most of what I'll use the little rifle for.

versifier
12-20-2005, 01:58 AM
The 336 is already drilled & tapped on top, isn't it? Midway lists Weaver 63B for under $6, Weaver's Scout Mount for $50, and Grand Slam for $17 (Special rings needed, $24). There are lots of others that are available from many different manufacturers, both one and two piece - I'd rather have the one piece myself and would personally be inclined towards the Scout mount with an IER or red dot - I just used the Weavers an an example. Like Felix said, I'd go with the red dot, too, no hesitation. I have always been a firm believer in peep sights for carbines, but as I get older, I'm using opticals more and more. I like the red dots because you can keep both eyes open and not give up your depth perception as you must using only one eye. It helps for staying on a moving target. The Scout mount puts it forward so you can see all around it easily and speed up your target acquisition.

Make sure you have a bunch of ammo loaded up that you know shoots well in it.

Yes, you can do it. It's not rocket science.
The bases come with the screws you'll need. First, if you haven't already, you really need to get yourself a decent set of gunsmith's screwdrivers to avoid marring and ruining the screws (they're not too expensive and will last a lifetime, interchangabe tips are the way to go). Only Bubbas use the hardware store variety screwdrivers. You will also need a small tubelet of Loctite and a small amount of solvent to degrease the screw holes like mineral spirits or even a spray of starting fluid (ether).
Carefully, with the screwdriver tip that fits them, remove the little plug screws if present, then clean out the holes as thoroughly as possible. Also clean all oil residue from the threads of the mount screws. make sure you have the correct base(s) and that it (or they) line up properly with the screw holes. If all checks out OK, then put one drop of loctite in each hole, place the base over and put in the screws, seating them firmly, hand tight, not torqued so that the screw slot deforms. The loctite seal can be broken with a little muscle or a little heat, if it's ever necessary to do so, but in the mean time it will make sure that the base screws won't loosen under repeated recoil.

If you need rings, make sure they're the correct diameter for the scope's tube, either 1" or 30mm. They come in different heights, too, to accomodate scopes with large objective (front) lenses. Many red dot units don't need rings. I prefer Tasco rings on Weaver style bases because they have screws on both sides and they can be tightened in rotation to avoid canting the scope as they are snugged down.

Put the rifle in a gun vise or well padded bench vise and leave room for you to put your shoulder against the butt plate and your face on the comb of the stock in shooting position. Next, make sure the action is level from side to side and tighten up the vise until the rifle won't move while you are fiddling with it. A small machinist's level placed across the base(s) is great for this, but a short carpenter's will do if you have checked it out to make sure it is accurate.

If you are mounting a red dot with a built-in mount, skip the next section.

Put the bottoms of the rings on the base(s) and snug the screws down hand tight, making sure the rifle does not move as you do it. Place the scope on the half rings and slide it forward and backward gently to make sure the rings are in proper alignment. If they are not, DO NOT try to adjust them by using the scope as a wrench - it will destroy the scope. Come back here and ask and I or another will talk you through base adjustment. If all is well, and it usually is, you're good to go.
Place your shoulder against the butt and your face in shooting position, then look through the scope. Slide it back and forth slowly until the eye relief is proper and you have a good sight picture through it. This needs to be done with IER scopes on Scoout mounts, too, but the eye relief is not as critical. Place a drop of silicon adhesive (or epoxy, loctite, rosin, etc) in the bottom of each ring, place the scope over it and place the tops of the rings on, with their screws in but still loose. Place the level on the top adjustment knob and rotate the scope until it is level. There are special gizmos that can help you do this, too, but an accurate level does as good or better job of it. Gradually tighten each of the ring screws in rotation a turn or so at a time, keeping your eye on the level as you go to make sure. When all the screws are hand tight and everything is still level, put the level on the bench and go back and give all the mount and ring screws one more oomph to make sure they're firmly seated, but not so hard that you damage them. That's it! [smilie=w: [smilie=w: [smilie=w:

A bore sighter will then help you get on the paper quicker, but if you don't have access to one, it's not a big deal. Fire your first sight-in shots at very close range to make sure you're on the paper and then move out to 75 or 100yards or whatever range you want it set up for. [smilie=s:

PatMarlin
12-20-2005, 02:31 AM
For my 336's-

I've got Leupold Quick Release rings on Weaver Steel 2 peice bases. 1- leupy 1.5 x 5, and a 2.5 x 8 on another.

Both used vari x III's, and when I want open sights I can pull the scopes off, and return to zero later.

I love those removable rings (rock solid) and both scopes kick butt... :Fire:

Lever-man
12-10-2013, 12:10 AM
I'm in the process of redoing a 336 in 30-30 that had the stock missing. I have it restocked now and my choice for sights will be the Williams Ace in The Hole set with the Fire sight front bead, and top it off with Redfield's Revolution 2-7x33mm. My personal choice is the Accu-Range retical but is offered in the Four Plex also. I have two of these and couldn't be more pleased. They have a long eye relief, and only weigh about 11.5 oz. The glass is really good plus they have a life time warranty. This set up will give me back up iron sights in the field if needed. All this is still in the process, so I will have to let you know how it comes together.

Guesser
12-10-2013, 09:35 AM
My 1949 336A in 32 W.S. has a 1949 Weaver K2.5 in period Beuhler base and rings, the rifle and scope were sold as a package when the rifle was new, 2nd year production.

avogunner
12-10-2013, 10:39 AM
:D I have held off for a long time but my eyes are going so I have given into useing a scope ----- [smilie=s:

Yep, same here...........

I found a nice Leupold 4X at a local gun show and used the Weaver base and rings for my 1960's 336. It was already drilled/tapped so installation was simple. I always suspected that my rifle could shoot better than I could aim but have been surprised by how much. It really sucks getting old!!!

Semper Fi!

robertbank
12-10-2013, 11:34 AM
I mounted the see thru Weaver sights for my 2x 7X32 Bushnell Elite scope. I wanted to leave the irons on it, just in case - not sure why since they are hard to see with my experienced eyes. LOL. I agree 4x is really all you need. This scope just popped up on one of our local gun boards up here so I went with it. I also tried and liked the red dot sight as well. It would have been even better for hunting up here than a scope but I really don't hunt much anymore and use the rifle for paper punching more than anything else.

The weaver mounts are very inexpensive off of Brownells. Locally I git raped but I wanted them now so the local thief aka Sporting Goods Store got my money for the last time.

Take Care

Bob

Char-Gar
12-10-2013, 01:02 PM
My scopped 336A wears a Weaver K2.5 in Weaver mounts. I have never paid anybody to mount a scope for me. It is a pretty simple job.

Greg B.
12-12-2013, 11:48 PM
I put a 4X Leupold using Leupold rings and mount on my Marlin 1895. I had to use shims which Leupold supplied for free to get it sighted in. Pay attention to the height of your rings so the scope will clear the rear sight. Also if you put on a low powered scope say around 2X there is a chance that the front sight will appear in your view as you look through the scope. Sometimes higher rings will correct this but it doesn't do any harm.

dverna
12-15-2013, 06:33 PM
A 1.5-5 variable is just about ideal for the .30.30 if you hunt in brush. It is easy to mount a scope.

My advice is to steer clear of cheap scopes. They are cheap for a reason. A good rule of thumb is to pay as much for the scope as the gun would be worth new. Most people cringe at doing that - so they suggest options that keep the iron sights as backup - for when the scope fails.

Don Verna

TXGunNut
12-15-2013, 11:18 PM
I think we have a new record for oldest resurrected thread.

Airborne Falcon
12-16-2013, 09:18 AM
My 1949 336A in 32 W.S. has a 1949 Weaver K2.5 in period Beuhler base and rings, the rifle and scope were sold as a package when the rifle was new, 2nd year production.

Is that the set that's mounted well forward with something like 12" of relief?

popper
12-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Bushnell Banner 3x9 on mine, to replace the *** chicom it came with. Survived heavy range shooting without any re-boresighting. 3x gives you minute of deer & large FOV at close range, 9x is there when you need it. I like the one piece mounts - they come off with little effort & keep boresight very well - just mount the scope in it and adjust eye relief/position with the rail. I've never been able to keep the hammer spur from loosening so I nixed it. Got an aimpoint red dot I was going to use but it takes a wider rail. Forget the cheap round red dots - basically a 1x scope with a dot vs a reticle - too much trouble. Got one of those laser thinggys - forget it. Just pull the bolt, look down the bbl at a distant object and adjust the scope - then go boresight for real with your load.

pietro
12-17-2013, 11:36 AM

Wow, zombies of the world, unite ! (this thread's 8 years old ! ! !)