PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Used Richards Microfit Stocks?

John F.
11-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Hi, folks,
I am looking to build a classic sporter on a 1903 Springfield, and am wondering
if anyone here has had any experience dealing with Richards Microfit Stocks?

Any info you can share about your personal or friend's dealings with them would
be very helpful!

Thanks,
John

Parson
11-23-2008, 10:20 PM
I have no idea how many I have used but a bunch. I have used almost everything they offer. I have had both good and bad experiences with them. I f offered get the extra 10% inletting and the barrel chanel opened more than minimum. I have used several of the laminated, they can be a pain to sand and finish (splitting slivers), be prepared to do a lot of hand work. I bought from them only when price was the deciding factor. If Boyds have what you want they are a lot easier to work with and more accuratly inletted

flounderman
11-23-2008, 10:44 PM
I don't know if this is a first time effort for you or if you are an experienced stock maker. I haven't used richards for a long time. the machine work inside was good. the wood is pretty plain regards to figure and they are proud of the cheapest ones. someone from south dakota is selling some nice wood on ebay, on a regular basis. I bought a lot of nice wood from don cantwell, in california. midway ended up with bishop and fajen, I believe. boyds has an extensive line. none of them are bolt in and if you want fancy wood, it will cost. I bought a lot of flawed stocks, at a good price because they had flaws, and got some fancy wood, cheap. the fancy wood is more likely to have flaws. I have been butchering wood for 40-50 years, and I like the looks of the classics I have seen the guy from south dakota have on ebay. somebody always wanted them worse than I did so I can't say about the inletting. good luck. flounderman

Phil
11-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Haven't gotten anything from them for several years but I used to have them shape and semi inlet my blanks. They did a good job but it IS A LOT OF WORK to get a barreled action inletted and the outside finish shaped and sanded down.

Good luck,

Phil

Blackwater
11-23-2008, 11:29 PM
It's been several years since I bought from them, but as above, they leave a good bit of extra wood in their "semi finished" stocks. This is supposed to be for folks who want or need some extra wood here or there to more truly customize their stock dimensions. It's extra work to remove the extra wood, of course, but that's just part of having more options, really. As to wood quality, they've provided better wood than I expected in their upgraded woods. According to a gunsmith buddy who's used a lot more of their wood than I have, the guy who used to run the place before it sold had very specific ideas about just how wood should be graded, and if your taste ran more toward color and contrast than to feather crotch figure, you'd almost always get more than you bargained on when getting upgraded wood. I know I was very pleased with the last blank I got from them. I specified color and contrast, or a sort of "marblecake" type wood, and I got one heck of a nice piece for $200 total. Hard to beat that these days.

I think all stock makers have their differences, and those who want a ready to go stock generally prefer a Boyd's stock, while those who like to shape their stocks just so prefer the extra wood on the others.

John F.
11-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks, folks, this is very helpful info!!! I sure appreciate it! :-D

John

Hardcast416taylor
11-24-2008, 09:32 PM
I`ve used their wood on half dozen rifles. Two of them were `A3 Springfields. I find I favor the old model classic series, nothing added like forend tips or grip caps. The last 1 I did was 8 yrs. ago for a mauser. If you order a stock talk to them about what you are expecting for the grade they are selling. I had no problems dealing with them and would again.:coffee:Robert

Ed Barrett
11-24-2008, 11:37 PM
I bought a stock for a Sporterized Enfield and right from the factory it was a perfect fit. I later ordered 2 of their "seconds" stocks, one for a 98 mauser and one for a Krag. minimal fitting. I would recomend them.