PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking to cast a few hundred bullets for .32 ACP

caffe
04-20-2020, 05:09 PM
and load for the caliber. My wife has a little Keltec and a bra rig for it, but sheeh, they want an arm and a leg for ammo, and I want to hotload some Silvertip jhp's for that locked breech (as in 1200 fps, 200 ft lbs, and reliable expansion of the jhp. Dummy Winchester quit making those, so they'll now cost me $50 for a box of that ammo. It looks like Lee does not offer their handloader in .32. i have a lee progressive 1000 loader. I guess I'll have to get a lyman 2 cavity mold and drive the bullets thru a 310 sizer die? Any other ideas? thanks.

frkelly74
04-20-2020, 05:34 PM
So you load up two or three boxes of shells and then they are real cheap. Lee has those 311 93 molds that should work pretty well. I think I have a few of them stashed around here, If you want a few to try let me know.

mattw
04-20-2020, 05:46 PM
I shoot one of the Keltec's as well as other 32 ACP's. Be careful with hot loads in that little guy... if the loads get to hot the brass will start bulging, I think the chamber is thin enough that it can expand under pressure. Otherwise I love the little guy! Definitely do not load it CZ70 hot!

blue32
04-21-2020, 09:36 AM
I still cast for mine (Keltec replaced entire upper for free) but please be careful. My loads were just enough to ensure reliable cycling.

charlie b
04-21-2020, 09:52 AM
Why not just get Lee dies for it and load it on the 1000? I loaded .32acp on my Loadmaster and they came out great. I liked the Lee crimp die for those little things.

My Colt 1903 was one of love hate things. I loved shooting it. Accurate, easy recoil. Cheap to reload. Wife's favorite pistol to shoot as well. Hated trying to find all that tiny brass. At the indoor range we shot at I lost a lot of it cause it tended to bounce down range. So, I eventually traded it off.

rintinglen
04-21-2020, 11:31 PM
Call the Swede at NOE and tell him you want one of his TL314-78 RF molds. I have one of the original Ranch Dog molds and heartily recommend this boolit. I've loaded hundreds and run them through my Colt 1903 and FN 1922 with nary a hitch.

Hanzy4200
04-23-2020, 12:35 AM
I have 5-6 .32's now. Fun little round. I cast the Lyman 311 252 75 gr pills. Lubrisized for the .32's, and powder coated for the 7.62x25 Tok. You will pay for the mold within a few boxes. I can't remember the brass vendor I used, but they had once fired for dirt cheap. Something like $43 for 500 pieces.

RogerDat
04-23-2020, 12:48 AM
Call the Swede at NOE and tell him you want one of his TL314-78 RF molds. I have one of the original Ranch Dog molds and heartily recommend this boolit. I've loaded hundreds and run them through my Colt 1903 and FN 1922 with nary a hitch.

I think this is the mold I used to get a load worked up for an old Bersa 32. acp. Flat nosed so it hits as hard as the little beastie is going to. Tumble lube design can be tumbled or does well with PC. Main thing is it doesn't impinge too far into the case. I think some of the heavier bullets have to seat deep which makes the pressure more of a concern.

I just was looking to function the slide reliably and make some reasonably consistent groups. Small load of Bullseye around 1.6 to 1.9 as I recall (without looking it up) did the trick. I think some go higher but me I figure if I was going to push a 32 acp to a hot load I would buy a 9mm. Don't think of it as a pistol, think of it as a load of 12 gauge #00 buck delivered sequentially as needed. Rather than all at once in a single target.

Even stupid bad people would rather not get shot. Even with a 32 caliber 78 grain bullet at moderate velocity.

kaiser
04-23-2020, 10:46 AM
I load mostly 71FMJ over 2.2gr Bullseye in my Keltec. According to tests by one of the "gun scribes", the Keltec does not push a hollow point fast enough to expand, nor does the lighter weight bullets penetrate as well as the FMJ or lead cast bullets. The same test makes the claim the .32acp with a 71 or 73gr FMJ will penetrate as far as a .380 and cause as big a wound in soft tissue because it tends to "tumble" before coming to a rest after traveling 12 to 13". I like the round and pistol because, like a pocket knife, I can carry it all the time concealed without fear of detection. I also have a FEG 63 with a longer barrel that might drive a HP bullet fast enough to expand, but I usually use with 85gr lead bullet with it, which drives them about the speed of the Keltec with 71's. Considering the lack of really good sights on either pistol, they both are quite accurate with a loads they like (one trick ponies!) and are loads of fun to shoot. (However, they are not as fun to load.)

mdi
04-23-2020, 12:07 PM
A few months ago I picked up a Beretta M81 in 32 ACP and bullets and brass were already scarce pre-panic. I did see some cast but just a very few I finally found some brass, in less than 1,000 case lots, and some plated bullets after 4 or 5 months of looking. My next acquisition will be a mold, but so far and as little as I am shooting, factory ammo is going to have to do (the J ammo I bought was all under $20 per box of 50 and I don't remember seeing any lead bullet ammo. But the normal "screw you" vendors have already jacked up the prices).

So far I'm still in the looking stage and All the RD designed bullets I have cast are excellent shooters, so I may go that way (but FWIW I checked the site and "sold out" appears in the first line of the description). And I will not buy a mold from ebay...

rintinglen
04-23-2020, 01:03 PM
Call NOE and tell Al Nelson what you want and he may be able to fix you up. There are a lot of those Beretta 81’s floating around and I am sure that you are not the only one wanting a mold for one. If he gets a few calls, he’ll make a run and put them in stock, but keep an eye out, because it’ll be first come first serve on those. And like I said, you are not the Lone Ranger when it comes to suddenly wanting to reload 32 ACP’s.

Gamsek
04-23-2020, 02:58 PM
https://www.mp-molds.com/bullet-casting-equipment/?product_cat=&s=32+acp&post_type=product

I just finished testing with this. 67grs in hollow point and you can cast solids too with same mould. A bit expensive, but for me it is an investment. 9mm on L and R sides for comparison

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200423/9d055de618d1834d80f420f3cf8f0acb.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200423/9eefb9b08d945e14ca1feffa5ec17ded.jpg