PDA

View Full Version : lee 10 pounder running cool

JeffinNZ
11-23-2008, 04:40 AM
Team.

My long suffering 10lb Lee is running cool.

I ran it up to full temp yesterday with a pot of pure Pb to do a run of MLer bullets and the best the old girl could muster was 553F!

Used to work just fine. These days it is a sprue catcher for topping off my Lyman 20lb pot.

Any ideas?

madsenshooter
11-23-2008, 06:26 AM
Don't know if you have the 110 or 220 version, but the 110 thermostats are only $5, plus shipping of course, which to your locale may be a bit more. They go bad from time to time, the dial on mine froze up after sitting in an unheated garage for many years. I wonder how hot the little melter would get without the thermostat, ie, wiring it direct? Since you've a thermometer you could keep the temp where you want it with an on/off switch. Here's the link right to the parts section of the 110 version. http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/parts.cgi?1227435290.3014=90009 Some of the guys here know how to work on the thermostats, give them time, they'll chime in.

Maven
11-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Jeff, Before you replace the thermostat (an expensive proposition for you, no?), remove it and clean the contacts, but then try bending one of them downward I think, but only a bit, so that it will run hotter. Search our archives for a better/more accurate description than mine. Btw, I did this a few months ago to my 10lb. pot and it worked like a charm.

imashooter2
11-23-2008, 12:40 PM
The Lee pot can be fixed. Read this:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=7204

ETA: Specifics of the repair on page 2.

madsenshooter
11-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Good thing he didn't try my wire it direct suggestion! I had mine turned all the way up to cook something out of a Lee mold that wasn't working right, burned out the element. I know it's the element cause I just put a new thermostat in it, and I wired it direct to see if it would come on, wall plug checked out ok to. Oh, bother, said Poo.

Echo
11-27-2008, 11:04 PM
The fact that SOME current is getting through is instructive. My guess is that it is a dirty-contact situation. The furnace probably isn't all that old (less than 20 years?) so the wiring may not be corroded, but the terminals may have a corrosive buildup, as may the control contacts, making ohmic junctions that limit the current necessary to get the pot up to max temp.
I haven't looked into my Lee, but I'll bet it would be an easy job to pull the cover and disconnect the simple wiring, clean the contacts w/220 sandpaper (not emery - it's conductive), or even SWMBO's nail board. You may be surprised at the condition of the contacts and the terminals, but they are easy to clean.

If that doesn't cure the problem, then I guess it's a new control for you.

cheshire cat
12-01-2008, 01:21 PM
the first time I used my new lee to melt a lot of stuff in one long session I had to keep turning up the stat, eventually I arrived at MAX and it still would not melt, after turning off for several hours and starting again it was fine to the end. I recon it was heat build-up in the non vented 'stat housing Sooo, I drilled 2x1/4" holes on the base and two in the rear approx' 1-1/2" from the top to give the stat an easier life, (I also wired in a neon at the back to see when the power is ON) it now gives 400'C on MIN 500 on "2" if the general opinion is this is too high I guess I could blank a hole or two off

JeffinNZ
12-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Cleand up the contacts and we are cooking again. I like the idea of venting the thermostat though and will do this.