PDA

View Full Version : fair price?

roysha
04-18-2020, 01:05 PM
What is a fair price for casting rifle bullets, .321", installing GC, sizing and lubing, using customer supplied material, alloy, lube, and GCs. My molds, pot, electricity and time.

WILCO
04-18-2020, 01:07 PM
Don't even get involved. Plenty of trouble awaits.

C.F.Plinker
04-18-2020, 02:30 PM
A sixpack an hour of your favorite beverage IF he does all the work while you watch.

Bazoo
04-18-2020, 02:30 PM
If I'm not mistaken you need a manufacturers license to be legal.

justashooter
04-18-2020, 03:00 PM
If I'm not mistaken you need a manufacturers license to be legal.
not true for components.

trouble is if this is for a friend he might be a lousy shot and blame you for "bad bullets". if for someone else get the cash up front. figure your time and bill accordingly.

Winger Ed.
04-18-2020, 03:07 PM
Teach him to use the equipment.

Then sit back, supervise, and sing while he makes them.

elmacgyver0
04-18-2020, 03:10 PM
This may sound harsh , but if you need money that bad you should find a less expensive hobby.

roysha
04-18-2020, 03:18 PM
A sixpack an hour of your favorite beverage IF he does all the work while you watch.

Well that wouldn't be a bad idea except the wife and I brew our own. Just yesterday we set a batch of very high gravity, highly hopped beer which is nicely fermenting as I type. I haven't found any craft beer exactly like it, some quite close, but all seem to leave some kind of crappy after taste. Oh well.

44Blam
04-18-2020, 03:20 PM
This may sound harsh , but if you need money that bad you should find a less expensive hobby.

Aw come on! With all that money you save casting and reloading you get to shoot a lot more! :lovebooli

roysha
04-18-2020, 03:21 PM

Now that is an extremely helpful post. I would never have thought of it. Thanks.

Newboy
04-18-2020, 03:30 PM
Every time I have reloaded for someone else, it ended poorly.

If I had an abundance of something, I would give or possibly trade.

I would never cast for money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

elmacgyver0
04-18-2020, 03:39 PM
Now that is an extremely helpful post. I would never have thought of it. Thanks.

Well if you really want to do it, look at what venders are selling their bullets for and price accordantly.
If your selling directly you don't have to figure in shipping charges.
If it is a cash deal no tax if you don't report it. (Don't recommend this)
Just keep in mind, if his gun blows up and he loses his fingers or worse, it will be your fault, no matter if he double charges or whatever, defective bullets, don't you know.
Go ahead, you probably will not have any problems.
I only showed the worst case scenario. With a good friend you should not have any problem.
I could tell a story but I won't, don't really want to think about it anymore.
I guess I'm a little biased, I should not have posted anything, sorry if I have upset you.

bullet maker 57
04-18-2020, 03:48 PM
The OP is asking "what is a fair price". Therefore he intends to charge for the boolits. He will need a license to manufacture and sell the boolits.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-18-2020, 04:12 PM
What is a fair price for casting rifle bullets, .321", installing GC, sizing and lubing, using customer supplied material, alloy, lube, and GCs. My molds, pot, electricity and time.
I would do it for free, but you didn't ask that.
A fair price is probably $15 an hour.

Casting enough to get 100 perfect boolits is probably an hour.
Sorting is probably another hour.
crimping GCs, sizing, lubing>assuming you have a lube sizer> probably half an hour...but more like an hour if you include setup/teardown/cleanup.

So, 100 boolits, 3 hours ...would be $45 if your time is worth $15/Hr.

If this is to be a profitable business venture, I believe you will need a Class 6 FFL, as well as a State Tax permit, and then there is the 11% Federal Firearms and Ammunition Excise Tax (FAET).

If you are doing this as a favor, and not making money that will add to your financial Livelyhood, you are "probably" covered by the The Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 (FOPA).

The Liability Insurance thingy brought up by another member is probably something to consider also.

Good Luck,
:holysheep
:castmine:

roysha
04-18-2020, 05:23 PM
Well, after doing a bit of research and reading what you fellows have posted, I think I'll just pack my stuff back up and let him figure something else out. Quite simply I was unaware that I needed a license to legally make and sell components. I though that particular regulation pertained to the manufacture of complete ammunition. I believe this come under the heading of live and learn.

I DON'T let other people use my molds!

onelight
04-18-2020, 08:45 PM
I had several shooting buddies that would come to my house to load and cast if they did not participate with a few exceptions it did not happen , casting I normally ran the mold but they might sort the culls size lube and seat gas checks if I had dies they could use them. I ran the progressives but they used the single stages and case trimmers and other tools .
I would put the cost of bullets powder and primers on the containers and they would pay for what they used .
If they needed a set of dies I did not have they would buy the dies and shell holders and give them to me .
But they could use all my equipment and they learned how to load and cast and we had a great time for many years. 3 to 5 guys 3 or 4 times a month. We kept us all shooting with one pro 1000 and 2 single stage Lyman presses and towards the end added a loadmaster . We used a Lee 10lb and 20lb pots and Lyman and RCBS molds one of them provided us with a constant supply of wheel weights.
My invitations to join the group were few and far between but we had a great group of guys that liked to shoot.

shootinfox2
04-18-2020, 08:56 PM
Please check ITAR? Regs. Manufacturer of components for war (bullets) $2500 a year.
Watch yourself when is comes to ammo manufacturing, including bullets for sale.

My 2 cents.

Petander
04-18-2020, 09:53 PM
I've been asked to cast bullets / slugs a few times lately.

Absolutely no thank you. I have reloaded for some friends and it always became a nightmare. The main problem is I reload and cast for quality,my friends wanted cheap ammo.

And all the liability... Just say no.

Dapaki
04-18-2020, 10:43 PM
Well that wouldn't be a bad idea except the wife and I brew our own. Just yesterday we set a batch of very high gravity, highly hopped beer which is nicely fermenting as I type. I haven't found any craft beer exactly like it, some quite close, but all seem to leave some kind of crappy after taste. Oh well.

DO TELL! We brew as well but the kids like White Claw (YUCK!) so we have been making that lately for them. DIPA?

MrWolf
04-19-2020, 07:50 AM
Well, after doing a bit of research and reading what you fellows have posted, I think I'll just pack my stuff back up and let him figure something else out. Quite simply I was unaware that I needed a license to legally make and sell components. I though that particular regulation pertained to the manufacture of complete ammunition. I believe this come under the heading of live and learn.

Think that is a smart move. I won't even let friends shoot my reloads. I actually have some factory ammo laying around for that purpose. Be surprised how fast that good friend turns into someone you never knew or suspected when something goes south. Good luck.

remy3424
04-19-2020, 09:11 AM
Just do it for free or as a favor...unless they want 1000s, then I would pass on the offer, is how I would handle it. This must not be a friend, just a guy who heard you make bullets.

Tripplebeards
04-19-2020, 09:23 AM
After I sat down yesterday at 8:30 am and finished 7.2 pounds of alloy from start to finish, with PCing and sizing with GCs, at 4.45 pm without any brakes it’s would be cheaper to buy a case of J words if I charged any amount money for doing an all day job. If anyone wants any I volunteer my supervision from start to finish. Most quit before they even start because they have no clue how much time and energy it takes to save a little money to cast instead of buying J words. No one wants to even apply themselves to sit down to load j words! There’s always interest because of cost savings until who ever wants some sees the amount of work and effort it takes.

Markopolo
04-19-2020, 09:37 AM
:kidding:

tripp??? will you cast me some boolits????

Tripplebeards
04-19-2020, 09:38 AM
:kidding:

tripp??? will you cast me some boolits????

Sure.lol

gumbo333
04-19-2020, 09:47 AM
toysha, doesn't sound like you will be producing ammunition but just casting boolits. If you enjoy casting for a friend or relative just do some sort of trade. Since you brew, maybe some dandilion wine, toilet paper, sanitizer, t-bones, pork chops, masks, jerky, rhubarb, shingle your roof. Something useful. Just a thought.

lightman
04-19-2020, 10:11 AM
Whenever I am ask to cast or load for someone I politely sidestep it with some lame excuses. Something like;

I barely have time to cast/load my own.
I don't have a sizing die or die set or mold for that caliber.
I don't have the necessary license/insurance to to that for others.
If you want to come by sometime when I'm loading or casting I'll let you help.

I'm not much for lying and maybe a plain blunt no might be better but to me the little white lie is a softer method. And sometimes they are even true. And the last one I listed has occasionally gotten a new loader or caster into the hobby.

rond
04-19-2020, 05:11 PM
I would tell him to check Missouri Bullet Company

Wayne Smith
04-19-2020, 06:35 PM
not true for components.

trouble is if this is for a friend he might be a lousy shot and blame you for "bad bullets". if for someone else get the cash up front. figure your time and bill accordingly.

Unless they have changed the law a license is required for all components -including bullets. But - the license is only $10 a year just like FFL 03 but this is FFL06. If you want to sell as a business you do need the license. Probably a local business license as well. And you have to pay local business tax, State tax, and Federal tax including the 15% voluntary required tax for sports.

Texas Jack 56
04-20-2020, 05:57 PM
Whenever I am ask to cast or load for someone I politely sidestep it with some lame excuses. Something like;

I barely have time to cast/load my own.
I don't have a sizing die or die set or mold for that caliber.
I don't have the necessary license/insurance to to that for others.
If you want to come by sometime when I'm loading or casting I'll let you help.

I'm not much for lying and maybe a plain blunt no might be better but to me the little white lie is a softer method. And sometimes they are even true. And the last one I listed has occasionally gotten a new loader or caster into the hobby.

Over the years a few friends & coworkers have ask me to reload for them. And I have always told all of them I don't reload for others.
[ if you sell your bullets or reloads to someone at some point they have an issue are they YOUR over/under sized bullets or are they from the other guy he bought from? ]
But if they are serious about it they can come and load there own. I have had a few take me up on it, and are still reloading themselves.

frkelly74
04-20-2020, 06:52 PM
When I have been asked , " How much for you to make me some? '' I have said , ''Well, the first one will be $1500 and after that $.06 each.'' That has always handled the situation for me. I think the licensing, taxes and insurance are considerably more expensive than that now.

onelight
04-20-2020, 08:53 PM
After I sat down yesterday at 8:30 am and finished 7.2 pounds of alloy from start to finish, with PCing and sizing with GCs, at 4.45 pm without any brakes it’s would be cheaper to buy a case of J words if I charged any amount money for doing an all day job. If anyone wants any I volunteer my supervision from start to finish. Most quit before they even start because they have no clue how much time and energy it takes to save a little money to cast instead of buying J words. No one wants to even apply themselves to sit down to load j words! There’s always interest because of cost savings until who ever wants some sees the amount of work and effort it takes.
You hit the nail on the head . If they are not interested enough participate and share responsibility for the finished product they should go buy some . If they have to buy the lead gas checks and any thing else needed they won't save much for most calibers .And I am picky about who gets an invitation.

charlie b
04-21-2020, 10:09 AM

You have noticed the slippery slope.

If this is for a friend, a real friend not acquaintance, then I would go ahead. Figure out what your time is worth and do it.

BUT, if this is to make some extra money then you made the right decision. I've known folks who have sidestepped the regs on small businesses and it usually bites them back at some point. Failure to pay taxes, not reporting taxable income, violating codes, federal regulations, etc, etc. One had to file bankruptcy and lost his house.

frkelly74
04-21-2020, 10:21 AM
If it is for a friend then you can take him or her to the range and work out the kinks together, There will be some, that is part of the fun. I would not go into business because that will tend to remove all the fun factor. It is in the Bible right after the Fall when God cursed the man, the woman, and the snake. Man will live by the sweat of his brow and will work at making a living and the very ground will resist his efforts. That is a very loose paraphrase there. Anyway do it to help out and for fun and for comeradship but not for a living.

fredj338
04-21-2020, 01:26 PM
The OP is asking "what is a fair price". Therefore he intends to charge for the boolits. He will need a license to manufacture and sell the boolits.

^^THIS^^
I have traded alloy for bullets. I figure I am casting anyway, so throwing in another 1000 for double 3x that in alloy is an ok deal. Casting for me is like therapy.

Petander
04-21-2020, 07:09 PM
I won't even let friends shoot my reloads. I actually have some factory ammo laying around for that purpose.

I do the same. People can try my guns but with factory ammo that I keep around anyway.

It used to be different. But everything gun related is so sensitive these days.

WRideout
04-21-2020, 07:29 PM
Like Fred J said, you might be able to work out a trade that would be beneficial for both of you. Especially if you are buying your lead (rather than scrounging it.)

Wayne