PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Area Decision

jim4065
11-22-2008, 11:30 PM
I have an upstairs room that I moved the Lee Classic Turret into a couple of months ago so's I could load whenever I want to without going out to the upstairs of the barn - which I've been building into a Reloading - Bullet Casting area. The barn has a wood stove downstairs and a big AC unit upstairs. Problem is that it still gets COLD! And stays that way until I build a fire, etc. The temperature changes concern me for primer and powder storage.

Now along comes the new LnL AP, soon, and I'm halfway to the dozen odd shellplates that I need to do all of my loading on it. So do I abandon the barn - except for casting all day whenever there's a fire for heat? Am I better off to set up a smaller (more focused) area in the house - where at least the climate is controlled, or to move the new press into the barn (and lose some "short time period" use of it)? :roll:

billyb
11-22-2008, 11:48 PM
It,s good to have options. I do my casting in my workshop, most of it this time of the year while it is cool. I do my reloading in a extra room in the climate controled comfort of the house. I also keep my powder and primers in the house. Bill

scb
11-23-2008, 12:57 AM
I would pick somewhere other than the upstairs of a house (or barn for that matter) in most cases. In the summer the upper floors tend to get much warmer. Heat causes powder to deteriorate.

August
11-23-2008, 01:19 AM
I load in a small, cramped area and it just about drives me nuts (not that I had far to go, mind you).

I think space is very important -- especially when I hear you say a half dozen calibers. Each one takes space for dirty cases, cleaned cases, prepared cases, bullets, finished rounds, and powder. That barn of your's sounds pretty good to me!!!!

Any chance of insulating the upper part? Any chance of partitioning off a portion of the upper part and insulating that?

If it were me, I'd go with the space and deal with the climate issues -- as opposed to setting up in a good climate but never having sufficient space.

crabo
11-23-2008, 01:43 AM
Work upstairs until you get the barn the way you want it. Then move

runfiverun
11-23-2008, 01:48 AM
if it is feasable to build in an area that you can control the temp in that is the way to go.
i built a shed and insulated it and finished the inside with carpeting and i just used a milk shed heater to keep it warm it would easily stay 70 in there all winter long and it cost about 10.00 per month to run.
but the insulation cost a good bit.
the other option keep your powder and primers in the house and take them with you when you go out to load.
just keep them from the moisture and temp swings.

shotman
11-23-2008, 01:50 AM
The temp is the main thing for powder-primers -sizers. I have about $50,000 in reloading equipment and related stuff. My reloading room is HVAC and has bath and kitchen and bed. This was a live in helpers quarters. Its now mine for a reloading quarters. I built benches around 3 walls and cabints under so I like it. Get tired and shower have a cold one and crash

mike in co
11-23-2008, 01:55 AM
yeah, i'd move reloading, powder and primers indoor, and keep the lead and casting in the upper barn.
do what you can to keep the temp stable in the house.

i do my relaoding in the basement...very easy to keep the temp in a narrow band.

mike in co

JSnover
11-23-2008, 11:10 AM
I don't know how your barn is but I think I'd keep the presses and other "precision" equipment in the house, where it won't be bothered by humidity, dust, rodents, etc.

blackthorn
11-23-2008, 11:46 AM
I have a 10 X 12 insulated shed where I do my reloading. We get quite a swing of temperature over the span of a year. My metal-clad shed is built with a 2 X 6 frame sheeted with 1/2" OSB outside and in. It is insulated with some green spun-rock insulating bats (except for the floor) with 2 small 2' x 2' windows. It seldom gets above 80 degrees in summer, and in winter I use a small electric, oil filled heater to keep it at not less than 55 degrees. When i want to work out there it is simple to turn up the heat to whatever I want. My suggestion to you is to follow the advice given and insulate a portion (or all) of the barn loft and get a small heater for winter.

bigdog454
11-23-2008, 08:23 PM
I do my reloading in an unattached garage. I've been doing that since 1962 (+- a year), in the winter it's sometimes 20 deg F. in the summer it is sometimes 80 F. when I am working in the garage I heat it with a wood stove to about 60-70 F, no AC in the summer. last year I used up some Herters SR primers in my 223, no misfires no bloopers. I have some alcan 5 powder that is still good, used up some 2400 hercules in my 454 this past fall when I changed to some new 2400 coulden't tell the difference except maybe 75fps + for the old stuff. If you keep your powder dry and not exposed to the sun etc it should stay good, same with primers. I wish I still could get some of those herters primers, They were less then $5.00 / 1000.

testhop
11-24-2008, 07:23 AM
do you think it would work to store powder and primers in a old frezzer or fredg
no powerjust the insllation from the shells this would be olt in the shed

jhrosier
11-24-2008, 08:38 AM
do you think it would work to store powder and primers in a old frezzer or fredg
no powerjust the insllation from the shells this would be olt in the shed

I know one handloader who does this with the blessings of the local fire department.
He also added a hasp and padlock to keep unauthorized people out.

Check here for SAAMI recomendations: http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/lobby/1221/saami_pw.htm#rec

Jack

HeavyMetal
11-24-2008, 10:21 AM
I store my powders and primers in an old double door fridge.

One side for powder the other for primers.

This is in my uninsulated garage in so. Calif. where it can get real hot in the summer.

I can reload on the back Patio in the summer, neat to open the unpowered fridge and find it way cooler than the garage!

This storage system works very well and usually can be free if you do some asking around!