PDA

View Full Version : Lyman super Moly?

jhalcott
11-22-2008, 07:30 PM
I got a stick of this with the 450 sizer a friend gave me. Along with some cast .44 and .30 bullets, a box or 2 of Muzzle loader bullets and various trinkets. Some 110 jacketed 110 gr .30 cal stuff.
Any way, I have never used super moly lube! Will it react differently than FWFL? Is it good for 2000 fps+ velocities or do I need to keep the speed down? It says it is good for rifle and pistol. It also states it is good from10 degrees to 130 degrees ,it coats and cures the barrels! ??

Blammer
11-22-2008, 10:20 PM
I used Lyman Black Moly lube on my rifles and pistols and I really liked it.

LarryM
11-22-2008, 11:31 PM
I've had good results with it with .38/.357 and .30-30 and .45 ACP.

shotman
11-23-2008, 12:37 AM
I f you are going to use it . Clean your barrel real good and then shoot about 20 with that lube. load the first 20 light . after that you will see a big difference in how clean the bore will stay. rick

Boerrancher
11-23-2008, 12:51 AM
Well crud, Now I feel bad that I don't like it after reading all of these posts extolling the virtues of Lyman Molly Lube. I have been shooting it out of my 357mag Rifle and my 45 LC Rifle. It is not as clean as I am use to. I have always had the best luck with the micro-parafin and Carnuba wax blends. I can't say that it is a bad lube, I have it in my lube sizer because it was given to me and I thought I would try it. I am just saying there are better lubes out there.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

shotman
11-23-2008, 02:09 AM
bo that why they make so many cars-guns -bullets-boolits- shoes-clothes-----you get the pic. I said that Kroil was good on a mold OOPs but what works for one can NEVER work for someone else. rick

SCIBUL
11-23-2008, 04:40 AM
Hello.
For my use, Lyman moly is OK i rifle but horrible in handguns... It is a hard stuff. For pistols and revolvers the 50/50 (NRA) works best.

dubber123
11-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Hello.
For my use, Lyman moly is OK i rifle but horrible in handguns... It is a hard stuff. For pistols and revolvers the 50/50 (NRA) works best.

Another example of different results for different people.:D My smallest groups ever in my .475 came with Lyman Super Moly. I have a .822" 50 yarder hanging above my loading bench.

I make my own lube now, but the only complaint I had with the Moly was it seemed to dry and shrink if stored on boolits for a long time.

Slogg76
11-23-2008, 09:21 AM
I used moly lube for my 45 Colts while I was cowboy action shooting. It worked the best for me. Zero leading with mild cowboy loads and heavy +P stuff out of my Ruger and Winchester 94.

Maven
11-23-2008, 10:58 AM
I've used 8 tubes (out of 12) of Super Moly and have no complaints about its performance in both my rifles and revolvers. One of its virtues is that it will flow through your lube-sizer at temperatures as low as 50 deg. F. However, it is very messy and will stain almost everything it comes in contact with.

Btw, I have 4 tubes of it left and will gladly trade for 4 tubes of SPG or a similar BP lube.

JIMinPHX
11-24-2008, 12:03 AM
Down side:
Lyman Super Moly is a bit of a mess to work with. It rubs off finished boolits easily & is hard to wash off of many items that it comes in contact with.

If you lube boolits with it & then leave them sit out in the open, the moly lube dries up & shrinks. Then you have to relube them again. You can avoid that by putting your lubed boolits in an airtight container. Ziplock bags don't work so well because then the bulk piled boolits rub against each other & the moly lube ends up everywhere inside the bag. neatly stacked boolits in a tupperware type container work well for extended storage. If you load the boolits within a few days of lubing them, then there is no problem. the evaporation/shrinking takes a week or two, maybe longer depending on your climate.

Up Side:
The lubrication works real well. I've had 13bnh GC boolits up over 3,000fps with no leading of the barrel.

The stuff flows pretty well through a lubrisizer with no heater, although sometimes it flows a little too well in hot weather & oozes up through the sizing die if you leave the sizer sit too long under pressure.

I've found that after shooting moly lubed boolits & cleaning the gun several times, the barrel builds up a semi-permanent lube coating on the bore. To get this coating started, give the gun an average amount of cleaning after each time that you shoot it with moly lubed boolits. Clean until you are sure that all the powder & metal fouling is gone, but don't clean until the patches come out white. Stop when they come out light gray. This goes for moly lubed cast boolits & also moly lubed j-word bullets.

After a good coat of moly is embedded in the bore, every type of ammo seems to shoot better for me. I often get slightly higher velocities. I generally get better accuracy. I almost always find that bore foueling is less severe if still present at all.

Parson
11-24-2008, 12:16 AM
I have used a lot of it over many years with good results, but I assure that if you use it around other shooters like indoor bullseye or outdoor action shooting, it will not make you friends. It is about the smokiest lube i have ever used. My boy who can empty a 1911 faster than some full autos can completely block a target with smoke from Super Moly