PDA

View Full Version : USAA Low Lifes

Mal Paso
04-10-2020, 07:49 PM
December 27 of last year a tourist from Virginia hit my car and USAA is accepting 100% of the damage claim. The car is fully functional, if ugly but the repair estimate is $4634 and USAA wants to total the previously perfect 06 Subaru with 129K. The adjuster was to have called by now but I think he's chicken. They already called me to pick up the car. I said we have No Agreement. "So you want to talk to the adjuster?"

Looking online replacement HERE is $6,500 asking with tax, registration and shopping on top of that.

I really want it fixed or another one delivered. I am thinking of seeing a shrink for my anger issues and making it personal injury.

I don't want a repeat of 3 years ago when I got $3300 for my arson/wildfire burned car and spent $8K to replace it.

What are my rights? What can I do?

BK7saum
04-10-2020, 07:55 PM
Sounds like totaling the car is about right for the age and cost of repair vs replacement. They should either repair yours or pay you nada book value for it. Sounds like you value the car more than its actual value. You may not be happy with the outcome, but doesnt sound like they are out of line at this point based on my experience with insurance companies.

What did they offer you for the value of the vehicle if they total it?

dkf
04-10-2020, 07:59 PM
Did they pull the repair price out of thin air? Got a couple shops to quote repairs? Where is the price coming from.

I'll agree it isn't right that someone hits you and YOU end up having to lay out a bunch of money. Getting the car back to where it was before someone else wrecked it should matter more than market value at the time right before the hit.

M-Tecs
04-10-2020, 08:05 PM
They go by book values unless you can prove cost on upgrades. New brakes and or new tires are normal maintenance and not an upgrade. My truck was totaled but still very driveable. I was paid $7,300 minus a $500 deductible. I purchased it back for $700 salvage value. That was three years ago and I am still driving it as is.

Winger Ed.
04-10-2020, 08:11 PM
When things get out of hand for them:
There's a reason insurance companies don't want to go to court, and have a trial.

They can't find 12 people to sit on a jury that haven't been screwed by an insurance company,
and might be looking for a little payback. (myself included)

kaiser
04-10-2020, 08:23 PM
Have you considered taking the money for the "totaled" car, buy the car back from the insurance company, and have it fixed? If the cost to repair it is not too substantial and the cost to "buy back" is relatively low, you might make out with a car you value more than them. (Of course the overall damage, such as frame, may preclude that proposed deal; however, it might be worth a try.) Not too many years ago, I did just that and drove the vehicle another 50,000 miles.

Good luck with your deal! I've been with USAA for several decades in many different states, and have had only a couple of issues with the company compared to friends with other companies. Overall, they have been very fair and even handed; and they usually use adjusters from your local area.

Tripplebeards
04-10-2020, 08:39 PM
You have to call and rip the adjuster a new one. They are just like dealing with a slimy used car salesmen. When I managed a Harley Davidson service department years ago the Progressive insurance company adjusters used to come in and tell me they were only gonna pay me for a third of the estimate for their customers. They always had some magical made up book that said my labor and parts prices were way out of line. I would politely tell them I would just call our customer (who was always in the hospital because of the motorcycle accident) and explain that their crummy insurance company is not willing to repair the motorcycle and ask them to come pay the $89 estimate and they will need to have the bike towed somewhere else on a flatbed to another shop for another estimate that their insurance company would be willing to accept. I would then tell them I would have their customer call them and ask why their insurance company is not paying for the proper repairs. Needless to say I always got progressive to pay my customer’s complete repair estimates without ever having to bother or contact the my customers of course.

As stated above see if you can buy the car back. I wouldn’t pay more than scrap price which is a couple hundred dollars. The adjusters are expecting to bargain back and forth. They get paid to lowball and save their company money.

country gent
04-10-2020, 09:39 PM
They will low ball you at first they dont like having to pay out. Find 3-4 similar cars same make and model condition and mileage on the internet document them site and stock number and date recorded. Better is to print the adds if possible. Send this to the adjuster along with estimates to fix repair your vehicle. Also keep in mind you are intitled to a loaner car or rental costs while the claim is being processed. In most states you have 2 years to settle or file a court date. I find it easiest when they want to play these games to hire an attorney and let them handle it. They will still call and try to deal with you Your answer is contact my attorney, His fees can also be added to the claim along with the imposition of the loss of the vehicle, contents damaged,injuries.

Minerat
04-10-2020, 10:13 PM
Make sure they are appraising the exact type if car you have. I had a truck hailed on, the estimate came back as totaled. Got to looking at what they had for the vehicle. It was a 1/2 ton, 2 wheel drive with a 6 banger basic truck. I had a 3/4 heavy duty, 6 liter engine and 4x4, loaded. Sent them the sticker from when it was new and a list of the aftermarket items. They decide that it was not totaled even with 175k miles on it. Another thing to put to the adjuster, is that if he can find a comparable car for his price then tell him to get it and you will trade other wise they should pay the replacement/repair cost because your market area puts a higher price on that model then his generic book does and his client wrecked your car not the other way around. Other option it to take the money and keep the car and pay the extra to have it fixed.

rking22
04-10-2020, 10:40 PM
Take the money, buy the car back for scrap. The title will be clean, car is over 10 years old( at least that is the way Tennessee works). You said it’s driveable but ugly, put the money in the bank and drive the ugly car! If you want the cosmetics fixed, you can still can come out ahead.

knifemaker
04-11-2020, 01:32 AM
I looked at USAA for our home insurance with auto insurance package. This was due to us losing our insurance company that we have had for over 10 years because we are in a "fire zone" in the mountain foothills of N. California. Did not matter that we have cleared our 2-1/2 acre lot of all brush.
After contacting USAA I decided that I would be wise to do a online background checks for pro and con reviews. I found too many complaints for them "lowballing" customers on claims and also too many complaints of them having long delays on paying off claims by their clients. Needless to say when their customer rep called me, I told them that due to the negative reviews I saw, I did not want to do business with them. They still continued to contact me trying to get me to do business with them.
So much good service to ex-military on their advertisements down the drain as far as I am concerned.

Idaho45guy
04-11-2020, 02:54 AM
i found out that if the car is over a certain year old then the insurance companies will total it for even a busted headlight.... that almost happened to my and my Suzuki when i got hit in the **** at stop light... i fixed it all, replaced the front sheet metal where they pushed me into the car ahead of me, straightened the rear metal with hammer and dolly, and it looked perfect... couldn't tell it had been hit... but because it was over 30yr old they wanted to total it anyway... i had to fight them to keep them from totaling it....

Total BS.

Former USAA auto claims adjuster here. I hate these kind of threads because they remind me of the thousands of ignorant, rude, lying people I had to deal with in the six years I had that job.

I typically had a roster of about 40-50 claims that I was responsible for at a time. Imagine having to work 8 hours a day in which you had a call within 30 seconds of hanging up on the last call. The last person you spoke to lied to you about how the accident happened and cussed you out when you explained how the laws of physics made their version of events impossible. The next call is someone cussing you out because you are totaling their 1994 Olds Cutlass because the repairs are $4000 on a $2500 car. Most insurance companies total a vehicle when the cost of repairs exceed 70% of the vehicle's value. It has nothing to do with year.

USAA operates using a system of shared adjusters. You are assigned an adjuster, but when you call in, likely you will get another adjuster who can work that claim as well. The primary adjuster is responsible for certain aspects of the claim, but most every thing can be handled by another adjuster.

Likely they had the OP go to one of their select body shops for an estimate. Or, they sent out a Field Adjuster. This person is usually a former body shop tech who drives around and writes estimates. Usually they can't see all of the damage without tearing down the vehicle, so they do a fair bit of educated guessing on what the final repair is going to cost. If that amount exceeds the 70% of value threshold, then the car is totaled.

The OP has some options. First he can take his car to another body shop and get a second opinion for the repair cost and hope that it is lower. Second, he can verify that the value of the car is accurate. Call and talk with any adjuster that answers. Express your concerns and verify they are valuing your vehicle based on correct information. However, we ran the VIN when doing valuations, so there was rarely a mistake. Third, find similar vehicles for sale in your area as close to possible as your Subaru and copy and paste those ads and email them to your adjuster. That will show them that you can't replace your vehicle for the amount they are offering.

Lastly, be reasonable and polite. If you are insulting and angry, then you will be brushed off as another unreasonable jerk and no one will want to help you out. Most adjusters are not car people. Most are younger females who have no idea how the real world works. I have plenty of horror stories about coworkers that said some incredibly stupid things to customers and screwed up claims.

You can always ask to speak to the adjuster's manager if you don't get the answer you feel is fair. If you've been a long time member and were a former officer, you have some clout.

AnthonyB
04-11-2020, 04:26 AM
I had USAA for 30 plus years. No complaints, and they went over and beyond to take care of me. I dropped them when I moved to AL after retiring and my insurance went up from Northern VA rates. That made no sense. Still, I had no complaints with their service.
Tony

Lloyd Smale
04-11-2020, 07:16 AM
the price there going to quote you for value is what a dealer would pay for it not what you would buy it from a dealer for. Like was said you could buy it back from them sink the 4600 they give you into repairing it and end up with a branded title and a car worth about 2k. No biggy if you plan to drive it into the ground and the repair shot is reputable enough to fix it right. But that car will never again be worth the 6500 you think it is. Id take there check and cut my losses. Sorry but there not going to pay for a shrink. Youll just be out more money. They've seen every possible way to try to beat them a 100 times and you will loose in the end.
December 27 of last year a tourist from Virginia hit my car and USAA is accepting 100% of the damage claim. The car is fully functional, if ugly but the repair estimate is $4634 and USAA wants to total the previously perfect 06 Subaru with 129K. The adjuster was to have called by now but I think he's chicken. They already called me to pick up the car. I said we have No Agreement. "So you want to talk to the adjuster?"

Looking online replacement HERE is $6,500 asking with tax, registration and shopping on top of that.

I really want it fixed or another one delivered. I am thinking of seeing a shrink for my anger issues and making it personal injury.

I don't want a repeat of 3 years ago when I got $3300 for my arson/wildfire burned car and spent $8K to replace it.

What are my rights? What can I do?

salpal48
04-11-2020, 07:47 AM
I don't think the problem is with the insurance company. The problem seems to be with the person in the mirror

Dragonheart
04-11-2020, 07:55 AM
I would suggest using the phrase "Like Kind and Quality". If they are agreeing to total your vehicle and they are setting the value then the value has to be based on reasonable replacement costs. Have them provide you with choices of a like kind and quality vehicles for sale in you local. If they wont prove this is a fair replacement cost then you may be within the limits of a small claims court and can demonstrate they are dealing in bad faith. But nothing is going to be gained by displaying anger. Don't get mad get even.

remy3424
04-11-2020, 08:07 AM
Adjustors have a terrible job, about every call is going to turning what most of you are expressing. Everyone one thinks their vehicle is "special", usually they are not. We inflate things in our minds, the adjustors are not looking for a fight, but the insured usually is. Buy it back (savage value is not necessarily "scrap" price) and fix it if is so special.

rancher1913
04-11-2020, 08:07 AM
if its your insurance that is paying, your hosed. if its the other guys insurance, get a lawyer.

Petrol & Powder
04-11-2020, 08:45 AM
Idaho45Guy is spot on.

That was the best advice and explanation provided on this thread.

To the OP, I'm sorry your car was damaged. One of the risks of driving an older vehicle is that it is often impossible to replace a good older car for what the car is valued at. The vehicle is valuable to the owner because it is a good, solid reliable car. However, it is often impossible to go out and buy another one for what the car is valued at. It's an unfortunate fact of life.

I've seen the same situation many times over. Someone has a good, reliable, older car that cannot be replaced for what it is worth.
Idaho45Guy is absolutely correct that being polite is the way to go. Your goal is to convince the insurance company to pay out enough money so that you can either replace that car with something comparable OR repair it. Be reasonable and polite, remember your goal and work towards that goal.

A lawsuit will likely be your worst option. Most civil dockets are backlogged months, sometimes years. The insurance company maintains staff attorneys or has attorneys on retainer. You will have to pay for an attorney, or represent yourself. Even if you win a judgment in the end, you will have spent more money in the process than you will likely receive in that judgment. In a nutshell - The insurance company can afford to lose money over a longer period of time than you can.

Poygan
04-11-2020, 09:45 AM
I have been with USAA most of the time since the 1960s and have never had an issue with any settlements with them. They have always been more than fair with any of our dealings with them and I consider them to be the gold standard of insurance companies.

SwissShooter
04-11-2020, 09:56 AM
What Poygan said. USAA is by far the best insurance company that exists.

If the car works, drive it as is. have a friend who bought a hail damaged Taurus wagon, 1 year old, 12,000 miles for $1000. Put new glass in it, now has 70,000 miles, ugly but works.

DocSavage
04-11-2020, 10:19 AM
I'm not an adjuster nor play one on tv but the car is 14 years old,if you were to trade it towards a new/used Subaru you'd be lucky to get $2 -3 k in trade. You could have them total the car and then buy it back as salvaged and have it repaired,but it won't be the "same" car as before.
Depending on how much damage has been done to the car,how good the repairs are you most likely start to deal with the gremlins that pop up after every thing is put back together. My advice take the money and use it as a down payment towards a newer model year Subaru yes car payments suck but do you want to possibly end up with a car that's a black hole sucking up money at the repair shop.

SwissShooter
04-11-2020, 10:30 AM
Unless you are into "image" you can never buy a new car for the same cost as keeping an old one in service. (unless the body/frame are totally rotted away.)

Petrol & Powder
04-11-2020, 10:57 AM
Here's a story somewhat on point:

A guy that worked for a utility company had a 70+ mile daily commute. He had an old Ford Fiesta (the boxy one from the late 70's or early 80's) The car was about 15 years old and had about 275K on it. He took care of it and it got him to and from work for very little expense. He got hit by a drunk and that was the end of that car. That 15+ year old Fiesta was worth almost nothing but he couldn't go buy a replacement for the $200 - $300 the insurance company gave him. The other side of that coin is that for the 10+ years he drove the car - he had no payment, low fuel costs, almost no taxes (Virginia has an annual personal property tax) and low maintenance costs. He MADE more money during those 10 years than he lost when that car was totaled.

While it is true he couldn't go buy a replacement car for the $300 the insurance company was going to pay him for his loss, he was making money every day he drove that car. If he had been at fault in an accident, he would have lost that car. If the car caught fire, he would have lost that car. If a rod went through the side of the block, he would have lost that car.
Every time he drove that car he took the risk of losing use of that cheap car. Every day he successfully went to work in that old car, he made money. One day that came to an end. Overall, he came out way ahead.

Outpost75
04-11-2020, 11:05 AM
^^^THIS^^^ Idaho45 and Petrol & Powder give accurate advice. I've been with USAA for 50 years and claims were always handled professionally and fairly. When you drive an older, high mileage vehicle which has sentimental value you need to be prepared and realistic to let it go and move on.

popper
04-11-2020, 11:30 AM
Used to be a 'blue book' value (retail sold used price). Ins. uses black book value (pretty much auction price). Lost a 2004 4runner totaled (bent rear frame - automatic total in Texas), 40K miles (-7K$). Did about the best I could. Stuff happens and when it does, you lose. I could have done OK by selling parts but didn't have the time. I'm sure the shop bought it from USAA and fixed it.

Mal Paso
04-11-2020, 11:58 AM
No sentimental value to the car. There are no similar cars available close by and the ones I found in the bay area are about $6500.

The adjuster never called Friday as he was supposed to do so I don't know what the offer is. The tow company did call and that makes me suspicious.

To be paid less than I can replace the car for is just plain wrong.

trebor44
04-11-2020, 12:04 PM
Let them total it on the condition that you can buy it back. Then fix it or drive it as is.

blackthorn
04-11-2020, 12:11 PM
Make keeping the car a part of the negotiations, i.e. "I will accept, but I get to keep the car". Then you can do as you wish.

Cast_outlaw
04-11-2020, 12:32 PM
Seems like any vehicles over 6 or 7 years old the insurance companies tend to want to right off for two reasons one they are considered older inefficient Polluters and also to force people into buying new ones to keep the companies in biz

MUSTANG
04-11-2020, 12:33 PM
I have been with USA for nearly 40 years. There have been changes such as adding enlisted membership (used to be Officers Only; so for the first 40% of my USMC career I was not eligible for USAA Membership). They also have recently Sold Off their Investment/Stock Member Services to Schaab (Takes effect in about 2 months where USAA no longer does Investment Management - Members moved to Schaab). As a general rule; I have found USAA coverage to be more expensive; but have found the value was higher because off the Customer Service, realization that military members have different constraints tin their lives compared to the civilian population (as an example stationed/deployed overseas or shipboard).

I found the USAA claims response to be very good. I was stationed on an accompanied tour (1st and only time in 23 Years the wife got to go with me) in Korea. Got a call from a USAA adjuster who had managed to trace me down and told me "Don't worry about the fire. We have worked with your property manager and the front porch of your house has been totally repaired and is in like new condition. Can you sign the paper coming in the mail so we can settle with the Property Manager and Construction crew?" Seems the tenants had cleaned out the Wood stove and placed the "Ash Bin" on the wooden Porch/Deck. Hot coals heating the metal can had set the porch on fire; but the fire wasp out by the Tenants.

We had a home in Newport North Carolina when we were stationed at Cherry Point; during Hurricane Andrews. After the Hurricane I called USAA and reported that we had lost a lot of Asphalt Shingles, and a Pine tree had fallen on the house damaging a 4x8 area of roof and the facia. USAA talked with me for about 5 minutes; and said a "Check is in the Mail"; it arrived 4 days later. It was sufficient for me (doing the work with myself and a friend) to repair the damaged area, re-shingle the entire house, and strip the roll roofing and plywood sheathing on the carport and totally replace the Carport Roof. The amount they paid would have been sufficient to hire a crew to replace the House roof. By doing the work myself; I got the Carport Reroofed to boot.

The wife and I were driving in reno; a major ice/snow storm moving through the area. I had to get her to the airport to make a flight to Las Vegas. We took the "OnRamp" to get to the Interstate 580 to the Airport; creeping down the slope of the onramp to 580 because of iced roads, we had an IDIOT (only good adjective for the person) came blowing us and the other creeping cars at about 50MPH. He skidded on the ice, did about five 360's in a circle and caused a 9 car bumper car effect. Our Jeep had the front end bashed in. Called USAA and described the damage, and that it was drivable - but the airbag deployed. Since it was drivable they told us we could choose to have it processed in Reno; or drive it back to the Las Vegas area and have it processed there. The wife had missed her flight so we drove the 400 (+) miles back to Moapa. USAA processed the claim and we received more for the Totaled Vehicle than what the wife had paid for it (IT was this Gawdauful Prurple and the Dealership could not move it - so she bought it cheap). We could have bought it back from the USAA/Auto Shop; but I could not stand the color so we later bought another used Jeep to replace it down in Bullhead City Arizona.

We had the Southern Nevada Water Authority Start a MAJOR Fire along the Muddy River. They were doing a "Controlled Burn" on a day that had forecast of up to 50MPH winds. Long story short the fire blew over into our Property and burned the Barn, Tractor, Feed & Grain, and.... to the tune of over $125,000.00 House was not affected. During the fire I had gotten onto the phone with USAA and warned them that we could have damage due to the fire, that (SNWA) had started the fire, and the response was generously described as a Goat Rope with the SNWA, Clark County Fire, and the US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) being the principle Goat Ropers; USFWS had "Air Tanker" fire control dropping probably 30 dumps onto the fire along the river during the entire day - most of which blew 100's of yards away from the fire because of the 50MPH winds. Any way; the SNWA reps and several county politico's showed up and started talking to the Neighborhood, going house to house and groups f neighbors to group of neighbors assuring everyone they would "Take Care" of everyone after it was over. I got a call from USAA the next day asking about my losses. I had created a spread sheet of ALL the losses from the fire - with estimated/retail value of the items. Sent it electronically and about 1 hour later was told they had a check in the mail to give me a start on replacement. They would settle the balance after I provided receipts for Items Replaced. There were numerous items we decided not to replace, and USAA gave us a "Depreciated" reimbursement for every item; and every item we bought as a Replacement we got 100% replacement value on. I thought USAA treated us very WELL on the claim. Oh;; remember I said that SNWA and the Clark County Politico's were promising to take care of everyone; welllll almost all of our neighbors have only received PARTIAL restitution and are still in litigation after 10 years. The SNWA and Cark County Politico's had most of them sign a waiver they would not claim through their insurance but would allow the CABAL to make them whole. - They are still waiting to be made WHOLE.

So; I guess that I have been fortunate with USAA. Cost me more in Annual Insurance Rates every year than other options; but each time calamity has struck - USAA was there and pid off for us.

Mal Paso: Sorry to hear of your difficulties.

downzero
04-11-2020, 12:41 PM
If I had a 14 year old Subaru and it got totaled, I'd negotiate the price and dump it. This might have been a blessing!

Springfield
04-11-2020, 02:04 PM
I know exactly how Mal Paso feels, because I have been there. It wasn't his fault the car was wrecked, and it isn't his insurance company that is paying for it. As far as I am concerned, the other driver needs to pay to get his car exactly how it was or get him a replacement. If his insurance won't pay for it then he has to come up with the money himself. None of this "that isn't how insurance works" BS. You wreck someone car, you have to fix it. Hopefully your insurance will pay, but if they don't.....too bad for you.
As for buying your car back and fixing it up, it isn't that simple, at lest in California. When they totaled my wife's mini-van, she was like MalPaso and she wanted it back, against my better judgement. So we bought it, she had a friend from work who "used to work in a body shop" fix it for her. He took forever, and it ended up with the worst paint job I have ever seen. But worse than that, it now had to be inspected to make sure it was up to snuff, California rules. And they made me replace the front disks, rear drums, and all the brake pads and shoes, even though they were fine. Along with a few light bulbs. So it cost me a few hundred dollars and a lot of my time, as I replaced these parts myself. And it still wasn't the same car we had before it was wrecked.

David2011
04-11-2020, 06:48 PM
I don't think the problem is with the insurance company. The problem seems to be with the person in the mirror

I’ve had several personal communications with the OP and don’t believe that for a minute.

I have had a similar situation and was lowballed by the guilty party’s insurance. She was 16 years old driving alone (violation #1) without a licensed driver over 21 in the front seat (violation #2) after dark (violation #3). This was in Louisiana where drivers under 18 had substantial restrictions at the time. The adjuster deducted for a chip in the windshield, cracked plastic seatbelt cover and other petty issues. I kept the car, got it fixed and drove it a few more years.

Insurance companies only offer wholesale for totaled cars yet consumers largely can’t find cars at wholesale prices and eve if they do, are taking a huge risk on the reliability and overall condition of the replacement. They should have to pay retail for the area. Period.

Geezer in NH
04-11-2020, 07:07 PM
I never have dealt with the others ins company. I make a claim with my own insurance company and let them deal with the subrogating the loss to the others insurance.

That is why I pay my insurance company.

nannyhammer
04-11-2020, 07:27 PM
We've had USAA for over 20 years. Have dealt with them on three accidents including the one that our daughter was killed by another driver. Had nothing but professional results every time. If you don't like what they are trying to do make your company step up to the plate and represent you since that's part of why you pay them. You shouldn't need to stress over something you are paying someone else to take care of for you.

popper
04-11-2020, 07:37 PM
I never have dealt with the others ins company - varies between states but if you make claim to your insurance, several 'fees' are involved. If their ins co. you don't pay the 'deductable' part. Your co will often go after the deductable part for you and maybe not tell you. I've been satisfied with USAA for many years. Got it thru FIL's daughter, then to me. Long time ago had State Farm, they were pretty picky but local rep was buddy so I got treated ok.

Idaho45guy
04-11-2020, 07:51 PM
No sentimental value to the car. There are no similar cars available close by and the ones I found in the bay area are about $6500.

The adjuster never called Friday as he was supposed to do so I don't know what the offer is. The tow company did call and that makes me suspicious.

To be paid less than I can replace the car for is just plain wrong.

So you have no idea what USAA is going to pay you for your car, but you are claiming that they aren't paying you a fair price??

Seriously?

Exactly why I'm no longer an insurance adjuster. People are.... Well, fill in the blank.

john.k
04-12-2020, 12:19 AM
You d be even madder if you lived here ,in Queensland .....if a car is paid out as a writeoff by and insurance adjuster for anything but hail or paint ,its noted on the title ,and the car cant be put back back on the road ...ever....Any front suspension part is bent ,writeoff......Lots of cars get put into containers and shipped to countries where the state doesnt take bribes from new car suppliers.......Hence the popularity of replacement under 4 yr old policies .....and never insure a 4+ yr old car for more than liability indemnity protection.Usually very cheap ,too..

Elkins45
04-12-2020, 12:21 AM
We've had USAA for over 20 years. Have dealt with them on three accidents including the one that our daughter was killed by another driver. Had nothing but professional results every time. If you don't like what they are trying to do make your company step up to the plate and represent you since that's part of why you pay them. You shouldn't need to stress over something you are paying someone else to take care of for you.

I’m very sorry for your loss. I would hope in such a horrible circumstance any insurance company would bend over backwards to be helpful.

You d be even madder if you lived here ,in Queensland .....if a car is paid out as a writeoff by and insurance adjuster for anything but hail or paint ,its noted on the title ,and the car cant be put back back on the road ...ever....Any front suspension part is bent ,writeoff......Lots of cars get put into containers and shipped to countries where the state doesnt take bribes from new car suppliers.......Hence the popularity of replacement under 4 yr old policies .....and never insure a 4+ yr old car for more than liability indemnity protection.Usually very cheap ,too..

Your rates must be insanely high.

john.k
04-12-2020, 12:34 AM
House insurance is another fertile field for the companies ....here its .....Oh ,you're underinsured ,your house is worth 400k,not the 250k insured sum,therefore we will only pay out part of the claim ......You say ,OK ,250 k then ......they say ,noooo....we will only be paying 250/400 of 250k,....or $162,500.....Thats when the claimant gets real wild.............moral of these stories ....agreed value settlement policy ,renegotiated every year......yes it cost quite a bit more ,peace of mind always does.

Dimner
04-12-2020, 12:54 AM
another vouch for USAA. always have done me right. Always have gone above and beyond. I wont go into particulars, but they will get my business always. Helped me out of more than one bind.

trebor44
04-12-2020, 10:27 AM
Insurance is a gamble! You may get a 'good' payoff or you may lose. They (Insurance Co.) are not in the game to lose money - remember 'too big to fail'! How much money does one pay out to get a negative amount in return? Peace of mind or living on the edge - it's a personal decision and only you have the answer.

scattershot
04-12-2020, 11:40 AM
Nothing but good to say about USAA. They have taken very good care f me in the 55 years I have been with them. Take the settlement, buy the car back for salvage value, and be happy. Don’t know what the laws are where you live, but in Colorado the title will reflect that it’s a salvaged vehicle. I suppose the other alternative would be to take the at fault driver to court. Maybe it would be worth it to you, I don’t know.

jimlj
04-12-2020, 01:03 PM
It seems Covid 19 is being blamed for everything, but how many of the insurance adjusters are actually working in the office right now?
Give it a bit more time.
My experience with insurance companies is if you can reasonably show your insured property is worth more than they are offering they will work with you. If your expectations are not out of line don't take the first offer.

Lloyd Smale
04-13-2020, 06:39 AM
honestly in my opinion a man is crazy for even having full coverage on a 5000 dollar car. To me that's about as bad as paying thousands for an extended warrantee. Car insurance (and warrantee insurance) company make there money because chances are you wont need to make a claim. Complain about a grand or two there low balling you but you forget the grand or two you might as well have lit on fire if you wouldn't have wrecked it. I have a cut off and it changes as time changes and car values change but today when my vehicles book value is below 8k it to me isn't worth putting collision insurance on any more. Ive got a jeep that's probably worth 15k now and im even considering dropping collision when that gets down to 10k. Insurance is a racket. How much money do people spend or home insurance, car insurance, warrantee insurance, medical insurance even home appliance insurance. Its the biggest money burning pit next to taxes. Heck I bought a gun from Buds guns earlier this year and they wanted me to spend 10 bucks on shipping insurance in case it didn't arrive or got damaged in shipping!! Seems to me its there responsibility until it gets to my dealer. If there conserned let them put insurance on it just like I do when im mailing something valuable.

john.k
04-13-2020, 05:20 PM
That reminds me ,years ago my mother bought a new Ford ,and they sold her one of those shonky extended warranties ,in the fine print it was on the "crankshaft ,engine block,chassis"....what a ripoff.....Anyway ,i had a good look at the car just before the extend warranty ran out ,and there was a small "ear" broken off the block,at the lower bellhousing mount....Back to Ford ,they wernt happy ,dealer tried to fob me off ,its nothin,he says.They ended up giving her a new motor ,rather than replace the block .....and I was looking over their shoulder to make sure,and if I hadnt kicked up a big fuss ,she would have got nothing.

04-13-2020, 05:24 PM
I may be overly optimistic, but I think they will work with you, if you give them some parameters, and let them know you did some research.

Like:
1. You want a replacement of similar kind, and condition.
2. You want the money needed to buy a replacement in the local area.
3. You just want more money/how much is reasonable.

I do not think you can make them fix it, simply because it may be impractical and unreasonable to do so.

I have only had one personal experience similar to this: my car was rear ended, the other driver was at fault, I got a rental car, and a check for the highest value listed in the book they use. I took the check and bought a used car to replace my wrecked used car. If they had not compensated me fairly, I would have sued them, and they knew that was the case. I can not say it will work that well for the OP, but I can say it can not hurt to remain Firm, Fair, Friendly, professional, and a tad threatening is a determined way.

remy3424
04-13-2020, 06:15 PM
These type of threads are anti-productive on almost every level. I really need to not look at the "new posts" and just go to the areas of my actual interest. I just get turned-off by some of the regular posters with their personal ideas on things other that casting/shooting/reloading related topics....save that for facebook or I can mind my own business and stay out of these areas of non-interest to me. Venting over.

MUSTANG
04-13-2020, 06:57 PM
These type of threads are anti-productive on almost every level. I really need to not look at the "new posts" and just go to the areas of my actual interest. I just get turned-off by some of the regular posters with their personal ideas on things other that casting/shooting/reloading related topics....save that for facebook or I can mind my own business and stay out of these areas of non-interest to me. Venting over.

“You pays your money and you takes your choice.”

― Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

GBertolet
04-13-2020, 07:31 PM
I had a similar experience. I had a 1989 Chevy 4wd pickup, garage kept, under 50k miles. Immaculate condition. On a snowy morning some dingbat, was driving too fast for conditions, rounding a curve, went sideways, taking up both lanes, and t boned me. The accident was ruled her fault, and I had to deal with her insurance, Nationwide. They totaled my truck, using the 70% rule, and made lowball offers, using values of high mileage beaters from Phila. Their final offer was $5600. I refused to settle. Deadlock. I called my own insurance company, State Farm, to see if they could do anything on my behalf. They agreed to send their adjuster to look into it. Several days later the adjuster contacted me, and said the truck was worth much more than the $5600 offered by Nationwide. They said my truck was worth $7250, and I could take the accident on my $500 deductible collision, without penalty, give me $6750, and when they collected from Nationwide, they would refund the $500, which I received 6 months later. I still wasn't happy, but in the reality of the situation, as others explained in previous posts, it was the best I was going to get.

Lawyers cost money, and to contest this, they are going to want a retainer fee, and when all is said and done, you lose. By the way this was in 2003, a 14 year old truck.

gbrown
04-16-2020, 01:08 PM
I've had USAA for 30 years. Never had a problem with them. My wife has been hit by uninsured motorists 3 times. 1st time they fixed the vehicle with no issues. 2001 Toyota, damaged in 2003. 2nd time, pushed into overpass columns by a teenage idiot in the middle of 2 lanes turning left. He made the inside turn so fast, he rolled his tires and tried to leave the scene on 4 flat tires. 3rd time, she was rear ended by a young guy, probably texting when traffic abruptly slowed in front of her. 2nd and third time, the vehicles were totaled. Cost us some money. You might want to talk to a lawyer and see what their advice is. I'm not a real fond of our lawsuit prone society, but a good lawyer can help you in times like you are in.

Handloader109
04-18-2020, 12:33 PM
has nothing to do with the insurance company. it is the industry. all will pay you the wholesale price of the car. that's about it. push them a bit, and take the money. you will NEVER get enough to buy a comparable vehicle with the settlement. there is one company that offers to pay enough to do this, but rates they charge is way more than std coverage. just life. and full coverage on old vehicle isnt smart either. I need to drop on my 15 yr old truck..... or not, if I were to total and get $4k, I can still go 8 more years (roughly) at $500 a year reduction in my annual premium....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mal Paso
04-18-2020, 03:32 PM
That's the rub, isn't it. My car wasn't worth the cost of full coverage so I am mostly handling this myself with almost no experience. I appreciate all the constructive comments and used that info to move forward. I had all kinds of info on repair, got a solid estimate from a local shop, and was at a loss when USAA decided to total the car. I am 15 miles from "town" and can't be without transportation so replacing the car will be the next issue. I may keep my car for a while so I have something to find the new car with but am researching that while I wait for the USAA paperwork to get here. I've had 3 calls to pick up the car which I still find unsettling. LOL

fatnhappy
04-18-2020, 06:32 PM

I am tremendously sorry for your loss.

Idaho45guy
04-18-2020, 06:52 PM
That's the rub, isn't it. My car wasn't worth the cost of full coverage so I am mostly handling this myself with almost no experience. I appreciate all the constructive comments and used that info to move forward. I had all kinds of info on repair, got a solid estimate from a local shop, and was at a loss when USAA decided to total the car. I am 15 miles from "town" and can't be without transportation so replacing the car will be the next issue. I may keep my car for a while so I have something to find the new car with but am researching that while I wait for the USAA paperwork to get here. I've had 3 calls to pick up the car which I still find unsettling. LOL

You are not making any sense. First, There is no such thing as "full" coverage. There is Comprehensive coverage, which covers damage to the vehicle for things like theft, vandalism, animal damage, flood, hail, fire, etc. Collision coverage covers the vehicle for things like you running off the road and hitting something, you hitting other vehicles, and other vehicles hitting you. Then you have the medical coverage, liability coverage, rental car coverage, and uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, which protects you from other motorists that don't have insurance, or insufficient insurance.

People often use the mistaken term of "full" coverage to indicate that they have more than the state mandated coverage of liability and medical coverage and also have collision and comp insurance.

If USAA is offering to pay you for your vehicle, then they are covering it under Collision coverage. Since you weren't at fault, they will pay you, then subrogate against the other company. In other words, they will go to the other company and send them a bill for what they paid you. It doesn't matter how much USAA pays you for your car, as long as it is reasonable. They are getting that money back.

You still haven't stated what USAA is paying you for your vehicle, or what your vehicle is or what it is worth. All we know is that the cost to repair it has exceeded the industry standard of 70% of the retail value of the vehicle. Why is that surprising or confusing to you?

And what paperwork are you waiting on? You obviously have internet access, so everything is available to you online at USAA.com. And you also have the ability to call USAA during business hours and talk to a live person.

Once the insurance company deems your vehicle a total loss and offers an amount, it is in your contract that you must either accept that amount and let them take the vehicle within a reasonable amount of time, or reject the amount and offer proof that the amount is too low, or state that you want to keep the car, minus the salvage value.

Most reasonable people want to settle a claim as quickly as possible and move on. You have done nothing other than disparage a company with the best reputation in the industry by first stating that they aren't offering you enough money for the car, then revealed that they hadn't even made an offer before you decided to disparage them.

You still haven't stated what your car is worth, what it is, or what they offered you.

Now you're claiming that you're waiting on paperwork that is available to you right this instant, online.

It really sounds like you are the one being unreasonable, evasive, ignorant, and making this process much harder than it needs to be.

If you continue down this road of dragging your feet, making false statements, being unreasonable, and ignoring the provisions of the insurance contract that you signed, you may find yourself being denied coverage and told to pound sand.

Plate plinker
04-18-2020, 10:52 PM

The lot probably does not want the liability of your car. If it’s stolen or stripped of parts over night they are on the hook. Possibly it is just taking up valuable space?

Edit! I see they don’t even know where the car is. Good luck.

Idaho45guy
04-18-2020, 11:45 PM
The lot probably does not want the liability of your car. If it’s stolen or stripped of parts over night they are on the hook. Possibly it is just taking up valuable space?

It's not on a lot. He's been driving his car since the accident on DECEMBER 27th!!!!

I missed that in his first post. He's been dragging out this whole thing for nearly 4 months!!

I think I'll bow out of this train wreck. What could have taken a normal and rational person two weeks to settle, at the most, has been dragged out for 4 months. It's pretty clear that USAA is not the problem in this scenario.

skeettx
04-18-2020, 11:53 PM
Watching to see total outcome

Has the agent ever called or met with you?