The Nyack Kid
12-19-2005, 02:00 PM
Health food stores carry it, but it is $$$

Maven
12-19-2005, 02:05 PM
I bought mine from Glory Bee Foods. I believe the link is www.GloryBeeFoods.com

Spokerider
12-19-2005, 10:33 PM
I'm thinking toilet base gaskets, the deep ones, from your local hardware. They're bees wax.

jh45gun
12-20-2005, 02:04 AM
Not no more! They maybe used to be made of bees wax but now are a petrolium based wax. :(

omgb
12-20-2005, 02:12 AM
I've got a boatload in 1lb bricks. I think they may be worth in the neighborhood of $5.00 ea. based on local retailers. I'll bet you can beat that price though because I know I paid less for them.

OldBob
12-20-2005, 07:23 AM
Just got some from a local bekeeper, $3.00 per lb., Glory Bee prices aren't bad, but thenyou gotta add freight.

Wayne Smith
12-20-2005, 08:17 AM
Go to your local farmer's co-op, Southern States around here, Northern States in New England. They will know local bee keepers, and probably sell their honey. Contact some of the local's and you will have all the wax you want.

jh45gun
12-20-2005, 02:45 PM
Not all the time I tried to call some local bee keepers this fall and all I contacted had use for their wax and would not sell any. :(

Wayne Smith
12-20-2005, 05:43 PM
No, you gotta do it in the summer when they are producing. I didn't think of that when I posted before.

Old Jim
12-20-2005, 06:21 PM
I made a boat load of lube using the toilet ring "wax". Doesn't work. It is a petrolum product.

omgb
12-20-2005, 08:05 PM
Wanna trade an "extra" 30 cal mould for some bee's wax? Drop me a line if you are interested.

R J Talley

26Charlie
12-20-2005, 08:28 PM
Beekeepers sell the light colored stuff for candle making, I found, but they have dark colored residue which you can get for less. I bought some of this for $2 a pound, but this was a few years ago. Dark or light doesn't matter to the bullets.

Pawpaw
12-23-2005, 10:58 AM
For the last five years, I have been using a five pound block that I got locally, but I talked to the beekeeper recently and he cautioned me that he had quit his bee operation. I've still got a couple of pounds left. When we started this thread I went looking on the internet for beeswax and the best prices I have found so far are here: http://www.glorybeefoods.com/gbf/Shop_List.cfm?PC=4&PSC=73&ProductCat_Name=Beeswax&Token=64.146.39.122:{ts_2005-08-30_15:41:31}-528375

Looks like you can get a one pound block for $3.40 US plus shipping. They also have one ounce bars and three or four different one pound blocks. Filtered, unfiltered, bleached, however you want it.

mroliver77
12-24-2005, 05:59 AM
I talked to a local bee keeper and was told that the caps that he cuts off are melted and cleaned and put into ingots. He then trades them in on "starter"racks or something like that. The racks that the combs are on come with a sheet of wax with dimples pushed into them. the bees then finish these into cavities to store the honey in. This is what I remember of him telling me anyhow. He has no extra to sell. I told him I would pay what he gets in trade in value if it was reasonable but he seemed to not really know the value or did not care to mess with it. I talked to his son though and he is going to see what he can do for me. Just thought I would post what I found out. Jay

mroliver77
12-24-2005, 06:12 AM
I made a boat load of lube using the toilet ring "wax". Doesn't work. It is a petrolum product.

I have used the rings for light to medium loaded pistol bullets with good perforance.It seems to be a good waxwith a very small crystal structure and somewhat of a vasoline like texture only thicker. I thickend some with beeswax and it worked fine for pistol loads for me. I sure does stick to everything and is messy to work with. What was your reults using it Jim? Jay

Johnch
12-24-2005, 06:52 AM
I made up some Wax ring lube this fall .
I use it for pistol .
No leading and no problems ( yes it is sticky ), I just dust the bullets with Mica after sizing them

I have never tryed it for rifle

Johnch

njmj
12-24-2005, 12:05 PM
tom,
Here's a link for BW and Carnauba wax. http//www.texasdrone.us/
Happy Holly daze, Marshall

blackthorn
12-24-2005, 12:20 PM
I found bees wax in the yellow pages. Cant recall just how much, but not a bad price as I recall.

imashooter2
12-24-2005, 12:25 PM
tom,
Here's a link for BW and Carnauba wax. http//www.texasdrone.us/
Happy Holly daze, Marshall

Marshall, your link keeps taking me to Microsoft.com.

Does it work for ayone else?

Old Jim
12-24-2005, 06:46 PM
I have used the rings for light to medium loaded pistol bullets with good perforance.It seems to be a good waxwith a very small crystal structure and somewhat of a vasoline like texture only thicker. I thickend some with beeswax and it worked fine for pistol loads for me. I sure does stick to everything and is messy to work with. What was your reults using it Jim? Jay

It was so nasty to handle that I gave up on it and really didn't give it a good try. I told some one on another forum about my efforts and they counseled caution. Something about petroleum products vaporising and then burning and causing all sorts of problems.
I bought beeswax and mad a lube out of molygrease that worked quite well and recently a lube out of the beeswax and STP that is really nice.
I have never had any significant leading problems with any of my handguns with any of the lubes I have used.