PDA

View Full Version : No Drill Aperture Sight Musings...

4570guy
11-21-2008, 08:59 PM
A friend and I were talking the other day about "no gunsmith" aperture sights for MILSURP rifles and how nobody makes them anymore. I have one of the old Redfield target sights on my Krag, and I've been looking on ebay for Parker Hale sights for my Enfield #4 and M1917. I've found several, but people must think they are better investments than the stock market right now because they are pricey.

Anyway -- we were wondering if there was still a reasonable market out there for newly manufactured "no drill" sights for Krags, Enfields, M1917s, 1903s and whatever else you could mount a target sight on w/o having to drill the receiver. I suspect there are a number of folks out there like myself who would like to have good target sights on their MILSURP rifles but not have to ruin the value by drilling the receiver.

Just curious... there may not be much of a market, but who knows? Comments?

timkelley
11-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Would there be sucha thing for a K98?

4570guy
11-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Actually, I think XS Sight systems here in Fort Worth makes one for the Mauser. I don't think it requires drilling, but I'm not 100% certain. BTW -- they make a good product. I have their scout mount on my Marlin 1895 and I really like it.

Ricochet
11-21-2008, 09:48 PM
I think there'd be a market. Probably not a big one. Bugs the stew out of me to think about people cutting and drilling on old milsurps, but obviously many folks don't feel that way.

jhrosier
11-21-2008, 10:06 PM
check these out:
http://www.mojosights.com/

There are also clamp-on sights available for the K31 and SKS from other sources.

Jack

4570guy
11-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Yes, I've seen those but they aren't true aperture target sights (they are a neat product though; I may have to get one for my Mosin Nagant M38). I was thinking about something more along the lines of the old Parker Hale sights or Redfield "no drill" sights for the Krag. Of course, one would have to adapt the design to the rifle.

nicholst55
11-22-2008, 02:52 AM
I wish someone would start manufacturing the adapter plate that Redfield and Brownells used to sell. It allows you to use a Williams FP-71 aperture sight on No.4 Lee Enfields by simply removing the issue sight and replacing the ejector screw. I'd buy several if I could find them - and they weren't ridiculously expensive. It consists of the adapter plate and a screw that replaces the rear sight axis pin and threads into the adapter plate.

I've got this setup on a No.4 Mk 2 and I really like it. Plus, it was affordable - much less than a PH rear sight for the Lee Enfield. I'd post pix, but I'm 7,931 miles away from that rifle just now - give or take 100 miles! :wink: