PDA

View Full Version : Old Verses New 35rem chamber

Maynard Shooter
04-06-2020, 07:26 PM
I had heard some where that the 35rem chambers and therefore the sizing dies had a change. I'm trying to figure out when that change happened as I'm reloading for both my 1930 Model 8 and my 1956 Marlin 336. Any information will help as I'm planning on Black Bear hunting with my Remington?

RickinTN
04-06-2020, 08:37 PM
I haven't heard of any change, and don't think there has been one. I would be interested in more info also if there was one.
Rick

Maynard Shooter
04-07-2020, 07:56 AM
I went back and found the post.

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5389&sid=2a2a7da0141a5fb92b891bff47bcbbd5#p20924

JSnover
04-07-2020, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the link. I haven't noticed proud primers with mine but it has a handful of other issues to be worked out.

Eddie Southgate
04-07-2020, 04:09 PM
I am betting on a slight head space issue . If I had that issue with full loaded rounds or factory I would do as one of those posters suggested and just size enough of the neck to hold the bullet tight and shoot them and then check the primers . I have seen primers backed out on both lightly loaded cartridges and rifles with excess head space . Chamber specs on .35 Remington have never changed that I am aware of unlike the 38-55 that now is shorter chambered as standard .

1hole
04-17-2020, 05:08 PM
The old .35 Rem cartridge was and remains one of the best deer-hog-black bear killers inside 200 yards ever produced. I know I'm not supposed to be able to take anything with me but I've thought about having my Marlin 336 in .35 Rem put in my casket with me, just in case ... ???

Outer Rondacker
04-17-2020, 05:44 PM
Don’t forget some ammo.

1hole
04-21-2020, 09:57 AM
Don’t forget some ammo.

Nah. I'll just get some new Remington 200 gr. RN Cor-Loc stuff from the nearest Walmart, my 336 loves that bullet but Rem quit selling 'em to reloaders years ago. Hornady's shoot well but they don't expand near as reliably as the Rem's. ;)

Maynard, no maker has ever knowingly "changed" the headspace on anything. It would be pointless to do that and it would sure set the gun and ammo makers up for a flood of frivolous lawsuits.

Chambers, size dies and shell holders all have a maker's tolerance range. Sometimes the tolerances stack in the wrong way and set the case shoulder back a tad too far, artificially creating excessive "headspace". Thus, printed instructions for die adjustment can miss the mark and, for best results, we need to compensate.

Primers standing proud of the case is from the chamber (headspace) being on the long side AND/OR the load being too light to reliably stretch the case fully back against the bolt face. If you don't have a case headspace tool just back your FL die up about 1/16th turn from shell holder contact (that's about .004") and see if that doesn't fix it. (And you might also benefit from an additional 1/2 gr. of powder.)

I suspect your old Md. 8 will easily handle any load pressure that's safe in a brand-new 336.

Eddie Southgate
04-21-2020, 03:13 PM
1hole,
Remington still sells both versions of the 200 gr Core Lokt bullet but only makes a run of them about once a year or so . I just bought 200 of each and am on the notify list for a couple of places that normally carry them . Duck Creek Sporting Goods has 7 boxes of the RN in stock today . That is where I got the last ones I bought , not cheap but they have them and they are 100 boxes not 50's .

https://www.duckcreeksportinggoods.com/product/remington-35-cal-200-grain-rn-core-lokt-bullets-qty-100/