PDA

View Full Version : Case Trimming Questions

Potsy
11-21-2008, 05:42 PM
I finally got around to working up a load for my new #1 .45-70.

I ordered a 350 grain Ranch Dog Mold, and discovered that, when crimped in the crimp groove, it was to long to fit in the chamber.

I decided to trim cased until they fit.

I stuck a case in my RCBS Trim Pro (this is a hand operated unit) and they trim fine until I take off around .030" then it gets extremely rough, I remove the case, chamfer and de-burr, and the case mouth looks like a hole saw. I need to take off about .050 but I hate to have my case mouths all roughed up.

Tips? Ideas?

GSM
11-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Trim a little at time. Brass has a characteristic (can't remember the term for it) that it tends to gall if too much of a cut is taken at once.

largom
11-21-2008, 09:06 PM
If you use a LEE Factory Crimp Die you could crimp outside of the crimp groove. Would not have to trim your cases then unless they are out of specs.
Larry

georgeld
11-22-2008, 02:37 AM
Use a Lee pin gauge/cutter instead. Cuts 'em right down.
I've cut over half the neck off .223's for other use's and never had a problem.

Same thing with some .454's I wanted to shorten for the Colt. That's about the same amount you're talking about, and near the same size too. Maybe some thinner though.

I use the pin/cutter in a small drill press and made a handle for the case holder. Works slick.

Calamity Jake
11-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Just use a little case lube for a cutting oil and cut slower

dale2242
11-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Why do you crimp for a single shot?---dale

Potsy
11-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Well, I got wise about an hour after I made the initial post and poured a little ballistol in a bottlecap. I dipped the case mouths and everything went smooth.
As far as the whole crimping thing goes; crimping on up the bullet to keep from trimming cases is something I'll probably try at some point.
As far as crimping for a single shot, I've always been under the impression that in a straight walled (or nearly straight wall) case, the crimp helps build even pressure. Further, I've discovered that with a case full of 3031, a crimp will help keep the bullet from being pushed out by a heavily compressed load. I did shoot it the other night without the crimp (long story as to why) just to see how hard it kicked and everything went just fine. Gun went off; I survived in spite of those who predicted everything from hurt feelings to detached retinas.