PDA

View Full Version : Pork neckbones & rice

Junior1942
11-21-2008, 05:31 PM
You guys ought to try my simple pork neckbones & rice recipe located here:
http://www.castbullet.com/cooking/neckbone.htm

It's on my stove at this moment. The meat is 1.9 lbs of pork neckbones which cost me $3.20. The other cost is 1 cup of rice and 1 onion + a daub of salt, pepper, and garlic powder. That's it. It's a great winter meal, and you won't believe how easy it is to fix. I've have it for supper tonight with a pone of cornbread and some turnip greens from a can.

NoDakJak
11-22-2008, 07:00 AM
Junior: I have been using your recipe for a couple years now and it is great. Neckbones are hard to come by around this area so I usually substitute hocks or ribs and spice them up a bit with a bit of soy sauce and a stalk or two of celery. I bought my wife a new range and haven't beenable to figure out this "Verdamnt" computerized oven. Any ideas on making cornbread in a Dutch Oven on the stove top? Neil

Junior1942
11-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Neil, if all else fails read the directions!

My momma made cornbread on a stove burner. She had a turn-over pan/pot which worked great. She'd flip it over every minute or two until the cornbread was done. I've never seen another one like it. After momma's death my sister-in-law got the cornbread pan and later sold it at a garage sale. :sad:

MT Gianni
11-23-2008, 01:13 AM
NODAKJACK, the old gas ovens had a 25 degree swing between off and on. You would think with digital the swing would have gotten tighter but it ain't so. Nowadays it's closer to 35-40 degrees. Most you turn on and it jumps to 350 then you adjust it from there but there is no guarantee that the numbers match the temp. Oven thermometers are cheap and provide a meter for a more consistent idea of what is going on inside. Find out when it is 350 inside and keep that setting in mind whether it says 370 or 330 on the dial/electronics. Gianni

Rick N Bama
11-23-2008, 08:02 AM
You guys ought to try my simple pork neckbones & rice recipe located here:
http://www.castbullet.com/cooking/neckbone.htm

I've have it for supper tonight with a pone of cornbread and some turnip greens from a can.

Turnip Greens from a can? Shameful! They should have been yard grown & sweetened by the 1st frost:kidding:

Was the Cornbread made from yellow or white cornmeal?

Rick

Junior1942
11-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Turnip Greens from a can? Shameful! They should have been yard grown & sweetened by the 1st frost.
I can't tell a difference in taste between canned and yard grown turnip greens. But mainly I've tried and can't grow turnips on this poor soil.

Was the Cornbread made from yellow or white cornmeal?

Rick
Yellow cornbread mix, which contains a daub of flour. No sugar!

sundog
11-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Junior, sounds like a really good meal. Something that I would eat and enjoy, especially at a camp fire!

About the cornbread, we've talked about this before. You mentioned cornbread MIX. Jiffy brand comes to mind.

http://jiffymix.com/mixes/m_corn.html

Don't need to add sugar as it's the third ingredient, after WHEAT(?) (there's your flour) and second, oh, there's the corn meal. I like the mixes well enough and they sure are simple enough to fix, especially in camp. Even at home, quick, simple, and delicious.

The bestest corn bread is home made though, and a daub of sugar in the SCRATCH recipe cuts the bitter of the finished muffins or loaf. We have one of the best mills right here in Oklahoma -- Shawnee brand.

sundog
11-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Speaking of mills, if you are ever in San Antonio, visit the historic Pioneer mill. They also make good products.

Rick N Bama
11-23-2008, 06:19 PM
I can't tell a difference in taste between canned and yard grown turnip greens. But mainly I've tried and can't grow turnips on this poor soil.

Yellow cornbread mix, which contains a daub of flour. No sugar!

Dang Junior if it won't grow greens then it must be some poor soil. The canned greens we've bought just haven't been near as good as what I grow in a small plot out in the yard. Let the frost hit them & they're that much better. My crop is a mix of Seven Top Turnips, Kale, Rape & Mustard with 6 Collard plants off to the side. The plot is 10X10' & has provided me & my family with all we wanted to eat & some to give away to the neighbors.

Rick