PDA

View Full Version : Grass lion took a Robin.

WILCO
04-03-2020, 12:51 PM
Was looking forward to their return.
Seen a few.
Other day there was a downed Robin in the driveway.
Didn't realize it, but I'd spooked a Tom from under the truck.
He'd come around the back corner of the garage as I was climbing into
the cab.
Apparently I wasn't fast enough for him, as he stood and glared at me.
That Robin laid there until something came along and made use of it.
Guess I'd rather lose a Robin instead of a Cardinal.

Texas by God
04-03-2020, 01:47 PM
I'd rather lose a cat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
04-03-2020, 04:40 PM
I'd rather lose a cat.

Yeah.
Other than people, a cat is about the only thing that kills just because it can.

lightman
04-03-2020, 07:07 PM
I love my cat! But She lives in the house. 100% inside cat! Not out fertilizing the neighbors flower beds or eating song birds.

I also love birds. I would be afraid to guess how much we spend feeding them. Sunflower seeds by the 50# sack. Sugar to make Hummingbird food, Grape Jelly for the Oreoles, suet and stuff for the others. The cat sits in the window and watches them for hours!

bikerbeans
04-03-2020, 07:20 PM
I'd rather lose a cat.

Plus 1.

BB

rockrat
04-03-2020, 08:04 PM
Mine are outside cats, but well fed, and too lazy to think about getting a bird. I feed my birds too and have seen the cat sitting on the can of bird feed with birds feeding 3 feet away and just ignoring them.

Biggin
04-03-2020, 09:33 PM
I love my cat! But She lives in the house. 100% inside cat! Not out fertilizing the neighbors flower beds or eating song birds.

I also love birds. I would be afraid to guess how much we spend feeding them. Sunflower seeds by the 50# sack. Sugar to make Hummingbird food, Grape Jelly for the Oreoles, suet and stuff for the others. The cat sits in the window and watches them for hours!

Cat tv!

Kimber1911
04-03-2020, 09:50 PM
Cat tv!

Times2

Kimber1911
04-03-2020, 09:50 PM
I'd rather lose a cat.

Thats what I actually meant

elmacgyver0
04-03-2020, 10:05 PM
Grass Lion, I love it!
I grew up with cats, always had many on the farm when I was a kid.
I used to like to sleep out in the barn during the winter in front of the milk cows in their stanchions.
When I woke up in the morning in my sleeping bag I would be covered with about 30 cats who found my sleeping bag a welcome bed.
Gawd, I loved those cats!
I would have a cat now if my wife would let me, I don't think my dog would approve either.

megasupermagnum
04-03-2020, 10:22 PM
Yeah.
Other than people, a cat is about the only thing that kills just because it can.

I don't know about that. We lost a lot of chickens over the years to animals killing for no reason. Fox especially would come and kill 10 at a time, and we would find the bodies later. Hawks and Owls are the worst. They bit the head off and leave them lay. We even had a mean rabbit once that killed a chicken over what I can only assume is protecting its territory.

elmacgyver0
04-03-2020, 10:39 PM
I don't know about that. We lost a lot of chickens over the years to animals killing for no reason. Fox especially would come and kill 10 at a time, and we would find the bodies later. Hawks and Owls are the worst. They bit the head off and leave them lay. We even had a mean rabbit once that killed a chicken over what I can only assume is protecting its territory.

Can't argue with this.

Winger Ed.
04-03-2020, 11:16 PM
I don't know about that. We lost a lot of chickens over the years to animals killing for no reason.

Oppps, I forgot,, I'm just a city kid.

FLINTNFIRE
04-04-2020, 02:25 AM
True cats like to play with and kill but have seen a lot of dogs do the same thing , birds to seagulls are so greedy kill and do not eat it all same with seals and sea lions

jonp
04-04-2020, 08:51 AM
Yeah.

Wolves also do this. In fact, all Canid's will do this. Foxes, Coyote's, Wolves, Dogs etc.

Tripplebeards
04-05-2020, 01:18 PM
Outside cats are feral cats in my state...

https://pictures-of-cats.org/is-it-legal-to-shoot-feral-cats-in-wisconsin.html

I feed the feral ones around my house because they keep the rabbits out of my garden. The squirrels ignore the cats so I’m in charge of them.

john.k
04-05-2020, 06:36 PM
I know a guy with a big collection of old trucks and machinery .....has plenty of stray cats on duty ,rats and mice have left town .....The birds there are scrub turkeys ...cats dont bother them ,but when desperados move into the street ,the turkey numbers thin down some.....The meat is tough as old bootsoles.