PDA

View Full Version : which scope to mount on a 300 wm

mike in co
11-21-2008, 11:35 AM
i have the choice of three scopes for my savage 300 win mag.

1) new weaver 3-9x(NEW OLD SCHOOL STEEL TUBE)

2)new weaver 4-12x(NEW OLD SCHOOL STEEL TUBE)

3) luepold 3-9x vx II(just back from luepold repair)

just 100 yd bench shooting

i do not want to kill the new weavers, but if they will take the 300 wm loads..i'll use them.
i guest the cheap way out is to mount the luepold....if i kill it they will fix it.
opinons welcome.

thanks
mike in co

AlaskaMike
11-21-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm partial to Leupold, but Weaver is perfectly good too.

I know, I'm a big help. :mrgreen:

Mike

James C. Snodgrass
11-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Unless it's a real light weight rifle any of em ought to be fine . I would look for the clearest of the group ? Just my opinion until you get to 338 mag in a regular rifle I don't worry with recoil . James[smilie=1:

felix
11-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Pick the one with variable objective. ... felix

Heavy lead
11-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Mike, I don't completely understand. Are the Weaver's made in El Paso, old stock, but brand new. Or is this a new scope I do not know about. If they are new original old stock El Paso made Weaver's IMO I would not mount them or shoot them on anything. If they are something new and I don't know of then I don't know either, I have Weaver Grand Slams and one new V 3 and they are both good scopes, but I would put the Leupold on because of eye relief.

mike in co
11-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Pick the one with variable objective. ... felix

the 4x12 does have the adjustable objective......hmmm

mike in co
11-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Mike, I don't completely understand. Are the Weaver's made in El Paso, old stock, but brand new. Or is this a new scope I do not know about. If they are new original old stock El Paso made Weaver's IMO I would not mount them or shoot them on anything. If they are something new and I don't know of then I don't know either, I have Weaver Grand Slams and one new V 3 and they are both good scopes, but I would put the Leupold on because of eye relief.

yep brand new old school weaver of el paso,texas....no boxes.

i bought them to shoot......

i do a lot of mil surplus rifle shooting, i use scopes for load development, and once a year we do have a scoped rifle mil match...well one at 100 and one at 200 yd.

i generally shoot old school 4x scopes(lots of weaver marksman) as that is the limit for the match, and do ok,but the ideal of a variable to allow improved load development is a big plus.

this last month i bought a 6-18 and a 3-9 redfield of denver, a used weaver 3-9, a used luepold 3-9 and the two NOS weavers(new,old stock).

so now it is a toss up between the looie and the 4x12.....due to its ao.

mike

Heavy lead
11-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Great find, probably can't go wrong with any of them.

fourarmed
11-21-2008, 02:58 PM
I sort of inherited a .300 H&H of my uncle's. It was bought new in 1958, and when I got a year or two ago, it still had the original Weaver KV on it, and it was still operational.