PDA

View Full Version : What's the best brand for 35 Rem Brass?

PatMarlin
11-20-2008, 01:30 PM
I just bought some once fired, and I have the choice of Rem or Hornady head stamp. I was wondering if there are any preferences amoungst cast boolit bretheren?

felix
11-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Hornady typically has heavier brass, at least in the past. If I may say so, I would compare it to Starline. Depends on gun's chamber. If tight, get the Remmie. ... felix

PatMarlin
11-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Rifles will be Marlin circa 1972 micro, and 1950 ballard.

No chamber casts so I don't know how tight they run?

jonk
11-20-2008, 02:28 PM
I'd say chamber tightness doesn't matter. Your sizing die will return the external dimension of the brass to factory specs, whether it is 'heavy' or 'thin' brass. The only spot it might matter is in the neck for bullet release, but I'd think any commercial brass will be thin enough for that.

I have Remington, works fine for me.

felix
11-20-2008, 06:10 PM
My Marlin in 35R is non-micro groove and has a very tight neck. Boolits in RP brass must not exceed 358, and they shoot just fine. If that is your situation, go with the Remmie brass. The micro gun might be able to handle thicker necked brass. Ask for a sample. ... felix

felix
11-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Jonk, be advised that statement of yours is not correct SOMETIMES. I'm glad Pat asked the question because it is or can be critical in that gun model/caliber. I was surprised how tight that chamber was for a lever gun in particular. Suspect a large chamber with large grooves in the modern guns, however. I think Ruger has learned that we are savvy enough to detect small chambers with large grooves, especially with revolters. The converse has been true in years past with the 45 colt, rifle and revolter. ... felix

Morgan Astorbilt
11-20-2008, 08:39 PM
It's a Remington caliber(For the Mod.8), I'd buy the Remington brass for this reason alone.
Morgan

PatMarlin
11-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Well I could get half and half, but I might as well play it safe and get Remington. No time for samples.

Thanks for the input.

runfiverun
11-20-2008, 09:39 PM
i have rifles that actually have brass preferences as far as groups go and other variables my 94 won't eject rem brass reliably.
my ackley loves rem brass.
go figure.
but the brass thickness issue is a good place to look if you need that extra .001 or2 for clearance and don't want to turn necks.