PDA

View Full Version : I have found some of my problems but

gcollins
11-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Hi Guys,
i want to thank all of you for the replys on my other post. I learned that pure lead doesn't work! I have found that the 30/1 makes a nice Bullet! I also have found out that you cannot use a powder dump and get a accurate charge! You have to scale every load!
Here is a question, I bought a little tin, my brother loaned me a super high dollar digital scale, my bullets are pouring either dead on, or no more than a 1/4 of a grain off. I have read where people go to scrap yards and buy there tin? I only have one scrap yard 40 miles away, and have not check them out, to my best knowledge, they are a recyle center, so if I was to call over there, what would i ask them fo?Graingers has tin sodier for $6.99 a pound roll it is 97% tin the other ???.
I would be great full for any and all advice>
Thanks greg

Bullshop
11-20-2008, 12:47 PM
What you want is called block tin.

Bret4207
11-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Midway sells tin. Whats the problem with your powder measure?

gcollins
11-20-2008, 04:10 PM
I should of ststed it different about my powder measure, I wasn't using my rcbs, I was using a CVA with the slide adjuster like the blending mull, but with the B.P. i wasn't getting a close dump! More likely, operator error.
Thanks for the help!
Greg

KYCaster
11-20-2008, 07:53 PM
The other 3% is usually Antimony, Copper, Silver or some combination of those...should have no effect on your alloy.

Jerry

mikenbarb
11-20-2008, 09:21 PM
All my Belding & Mulls are within 1/10th of a grain with BP, ball and flake and pretty close to that with cylinder type powders. Thats good enough in my book but if I need better I use my DPS. Also, You may want to look into bar solder for tin. It may be easier to get than the others.
Lyman #2 alloy is easy to make yourself and easy to find the ingredients for it. Here is 2 ways you can make it from different ingredients that should be easy to find in your area.

Wheelweights- 5- 1/2 pounds.
Pure lead- 3-1/2 pounds
50/50 Bar solder- 1 pound.
Or,
Lino Type lead- 4 pounds.
50/50 bar solder- 1 pound.
Pure lead- 5 pounds.

They will both make10 pounds of alloy and just double the ingredients for 20 pounds.

Bret4207
11-21-2008, 06:37 AM
With the black powder typre measures your supply point is the key. A B+M has the resevoir above so you're getting a consistant feed to the chamber. The hand held BP measures suffer from inconsistant feed. That's probaly where your problem is.