PDA

View Full Version : Cast smaller bullets from same mold

NuJudge
12-18-2005, 10:40 AM
I have a Lee 6-hole mold that I got to cast bullets for the .45 acp is supposed to cast 230 grain .452" RN bullets, but the bullets are actually almost .454" [smilie=b: . I am not noticing a problem with other molds using this batch of Wheelweight scrap (acquired about 15 years ago), so I have some suspicion that the problem is the mold.

I have some distant recollection that the presence of certain alloying elements causes bullets to be larger, some elements also causing the bullets to be smaller. I am looking for suggestions as to what elements to control in order to get a smaller bullet.

Christopher Dingell

Bass Ackward
12-18-2005, 11:00 AM
I have a Lee 6-hole mold that I got to cast bullets for the .45 acp is supposed to cast 230 grain .452" RN bullets, but the bullets are actually almost .454" [smilie=b: . I am not noticing a problem with other molds using this batch of Wheelweight scrap (acquired about 15 years ago), so I have some suspicion that the problem is the mold.

I have some distant recollection that the presence of certain alloying elements causes bullets to be larger, some elements also causing the bullets to be smaller. I am looking for suggestions as to what elements to control in order to get a smaller bullet.

Christopher Dingell

Chris,

Many would love to have your problem. I assume that you are wanting not to go through a sizing operation, preferring to shoot straight from the mold.

You can only add more pure lead to get a smaller diameter. There are things to go lighter, but not smaller.

Sometimes you can run your mold hotter and lose a couple of thousanths too. By hotter I mean wide open and cast faster. Usually the largest diameter occurs at normal casting temperatures of around 650 - 700 degrees. Or you can spray your mold with spray molly from an auto parts store and lose .001 too.

That's about it from my experience. I am ALWAYS working to get BIGGER!!!!!! Just like Horase Greeley said from the 19 century, "Go big young man. Go big!"

NuJudge
12-18-2005, 11:17 AM
For rifle, I typically go .002" or .003" large. For .44 and .357 pistol, likewise. I have a 1988-vintage Series 80 Colt, and too big won't chamber.

I think I still have a bunch of Remington .45 acp brass that was really thin, such that with .451 FMJ bullets there was not enough neck tension to hold the bullet. Maybe I will try them with those cases.

CDD

floodgate
12-18-2005, 02:49 PM
NuJudge:

"I have some distant recollection that the presence of certain alloying elements causes bullets to be larger, some elements also causing the bullets to be smaller. I am looking for suggestions as to what elements to control in order to get a smaller bullet."

Get a copy (if you don't have it already) of the Lyman "Cast Bullet Handbook", 3rd Edition, 1980 - still available from Lyman - and go to p. 58. There is a good table of weights and as-cast diameters vs. alloy composition. Lots of other good info in the book, too.

floodgate

NVcurmudgeon
12-18-2005, 03:09 PM
I wish ALL my moulds cast a couple of thousanths oversize. I have never found any negatives to sizing down as much as .005", even for the best rifle target accuracy. Try adding pure lead to your alloy, tape-on weights are a good source.

Buckshot
12-19-2005, 03:37 AM
.............If you do just HAVE to have them smaller spray the cavities with something like Midway mould drop out. It WILL make the boolits drop smaller, as the spray merely takes up room in the cavity. Just spray in a good even coat. You'll loose at least a thou.

..............Buckshot

ben1025
12-19-2005, 09:56 AM
NuJudge:
According to Lyman cast bullet guide a 45 bullet cast with lead that weights 235 grains and .4515" will be 232 -.4523 (WW) 225-.4530 ( Lyman #2) 218-.4535 (linotype) There is quite a bit difference in weight but not in diameter from lead to linotype. ben1025