PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Okie's

schutzen
11-19-2008, 03:49 PM
All you gents from Oklahoma, I need some advice. My son just reported for duty at Ft. Sill and will be there for the next 3 years. One of the things he wants to do is catch up on his hunting. I'm going to get him a rifle for Christmas, but I need advise on the caliber. I am unfamiliar with the exact game available in Oklahoma.
I am looking at .25 caliber and up. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated

StrawHat
11-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Good idea checking with the locals.

I haven't been out there for several decades but I used a Remington M721 in 30-06 when I did hunt there. Worked for antelope but was considered a bit large.

Thank your son for my family.

testhop
11-19-2008, 04:10 PM
get a 270 and never look back

oneokie
11-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Any of the 7mm's or 30 cal's will be adequate. Magnums not necessary.

I thank your son for his service to our country.

jim4065
11-19-2008, 06:31 PM
When my nephew was at Ft Sill he bought a 25-06 and used it for everything from prairie dogs to deer.

pearson1662
11-19-2008, 06:51 PM
I own a 270 but I prefer my son's 260 Remington. If I had to do it all over again I would buy either the 6.5 Swede or the 280 Remington. Recoil with factory fodder is more objectionable with the 270 than it is from the 280, probably because it is loaded to higher pressure. At least that's my impression. If he reloads I guess that wouldn't necessarily be true.

If he's interested in applying for an elk hunt, obviously the 280 would be preferred but the deer around here are generally less than 150 pounds and aren't to picky about what kills them.

There are hogs in many places in OK including some that I have heard of east of Sill and also down on the Red River. They can get up over 350 pounds but that's somewhat unusual. The sows (of all sizes) are generally much preferred to boars by my pallate, it's just hard to tell which ones are and which aren't until the shootins done.:-D In my experience the bigger boars travel alone, the sows almost always with piglets and the adolescents in groups called "sounders". And despite what you may have heard, they are not impervious to a 6.5mm bullet!

I always THINK I'm right,

Jay

Scrounger
11-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Recoil is a function of gun weight, bullet weight, powder weight, and bullet velocity. Here is a calculator:
http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp

corvette8n
11-19-2008, 09:29 PM
From the Okie Fish & Game website

Legal Means of Taking

Rifles: Centerfire rifles firing at least a 55-grain weight soft-nosed or hollow-point bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer (9mm rifles are not legal). Clips or magazines of all .22 caliber centerfire firearms may not be capable of holding more than seven (7) rounds of ammunition.

Get him an AR-15 at least thats what he is used to. lol

11-20-2008, 03:21 AM
I just spent three years at Ft Sill and hunted two seasons there on base.

On Ft Sill, many of the areas are shotgun only, so a slug gun or a shotgun combo with a slug barrel would be my choice. The bird hunting on Sill can be really good. A lot of the ranges at which you'll take whitetails, elk, or pigs will not require long shots. However, there are opportunities for 200+ yard shots. The terrain there is very diverse.

There are areas where centerfire is authorized (the interior hunting areas of the base). He'll have some choice in where he hunts, but may not know until the morning of the hunt whether he's hunting with a slug gun or a rifle.

Josh

OKIE
11-21-2008, 01:31 AM
Hunted in oklahoma all my life, from northeaster to south western. Shots can range from 10 feet to 400 yards. I would suggest something flat shooting for the long shots out in western Ok. I have used a 25-06 for years, but if I were to suggest one caliber for Ok I would go with a 280. The 280 offers a better bullet selection (weight wise) than the 25-06 and 270. The 280 can also work for mule deer and elk (yes there are elk in Oklahoma if you are lucky enough to draw a tag). I would also recommend a remington bdl as far as guns go, but there are probably a lot of people in here that would disagree, I have just had great luck with mine. Gun season opens saturday, I will hunting with a 44 mag with 300 cast honeys. This is my first year to hunt with my own cast bootlits. Can't wait to see how they perform. Wish me luck. I will post any pics if I can get a buck close enough. Hope this helps.

pearson1662
12-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Hunted in oklahoma all my life, from northeaster to south western. Shots can range from 10 feet to 400 yards. I would suggest something flat shooting for the long shots out in western Ok. I have used a 25-06 for years, but if I were to suggest one caliber for Ok I would go with a 280. The 280 offers a better bullet selection (weight wise) than the 25-06 and 270. The 280 can also work for mule deer and elk (yes there are elk in Oklahoma if you are lucky enough to draw a tag). I would also recommend a remington bdl as far as guns go, but there are probably a lot of people in here that would disagree, I have just had great luck with mine. Gun season opens saturday, I will hunting with a 44 mag with 300 cast honeys. This is my first year to hunt with my own cast bootlits. Can't wait to see how they perform. Wish me luck. I will post any pics if I can get a buck close enough. Hope this helps.

Good Luck!:-D

rockrat
12-08-2008, 11:37 PM
While I lived there, I used a Rem 700 Bdl in 30-06 and a friend of mine used a 25-06. I would suggest any of those above recommended. Depends if he will prefer the 25, 27,28(7mm) or 30 cal guns.

Murphy
12-09-2008, 01:01 AM
Been in Oklahoma for 54 (soon to be 55) years now.

All the above calibers are indeed very viable candidates for Oklahoma whitetails.

While I've never hunted the Ft. Sill (Lawton, Oklahoma) area, I've had friend who have and do.

Based on the terrain of that particular part of Oklahoma, I'd say go with a .270 or a 30-06. Either will get him through just fine.

Just my 2 cent's .......

Murphy

DLCTEX
12-09-2008, 09:52 AM
If he isn't a reloader, or isn't able to do so where he is currently, stick to a caliber that is available over the counter at Wal Mart, or such. 243, 30-06, 25-06, 270, 308,30-30, 7mm Mag., 223, 22-250 (these last two are a little light for deer), are calibers that are available most anywhere.

OKIE
12-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Just an update, it took me four days to get a buck close enough to shoot. He was a small six point so I won't be posting pictures. Hit him at 70 yards with the 44 mag shooting at 315gr Lee GC with 20 gr of 296. The bullet hit him high in the chest and exited in front of the hind leg. He never took a step. I think with more practice I can get this pistol to 100 yards.

guycromwell
12-14-2008, 09:20 PM
I've been an okie for 48 years now. Most of it spent here in NW oklahoma. I use a bunch of different guns but if down to one then it would be the 2506. Great deer and coyote. Good Prairie dog gun. There are antelope in the panhandle or just a bit farther into New Mexico that make for a good hunting tripl. .270 and .280 also work for me too. Lots of open country in western okie land.

Thank your son for his service.