PDA

View Full Version : 200gr SWC for .45 G30

Castnshoot
11-19-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm not sure which mould to get for my .45 G30. I want a SWC, but I'm not sure if there are any profiles I should stay away from or if you know of any that simply work great.

Calamity Jake
11-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Take a look a Saeco #069, a 200 swc, a close copy of H&G 68 but with a plain base.

I have samples if you want some.

Papucho
11-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Most SWC's and Glock's don't get along fine, as I had to learn the hard way. I would recommend to you to try someone elses boolits in different profiles to learn if there is one that will feed reliably en your Glock.
IME, I would recommend a RN or a TC profile better, try avoiding RN profiles that have even the smallest of shoulders in the design for it's what causes the missfeedings in Glock's .

Castnshoot
11-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Take a look a Saeco #069, a 200 swc, a close copy of H&G 68 but with a plain base.

I have samples if you want some.

That would be awesome. I'm just now starting to load for it and really just want to find the right recipe, cast, and shoot! :mrgreen:

Most SWC's and Glock's don't get along fine, as I had to learn the hard way. I would recommend to you to try someone elses boolits in different profiles to learn if there is one that will feed reliably en your Glock.
IME, I would recommend a RN or a TC profile better, try avoiding RN profiles that have even the smallest of shoulders in the design for it's what causes the missfeedings in Glock's .

Well, that's just great. :roll: I ordered me a 500ct box of 200gr SWC. I was setting the dies last night (1.215 OAL) and had a FTF on about the 7th chambering when testing for setback, but I fixed that with allowing just a little more crimp. It seems that somehow the lip of the case mouth got caught and bent outwards somewhat. No setback whatsoever, though. I'm about to print the labels for testing with Unique between 4.9 and 5.4gr, in increments of .1gr due to the relatively small window of probabilities, will test the 200gr RNFP from 4.9 to 5.4gr, the 230gr RN from 5.3 to 5.8gr, and haven't decided on the 225gr TC yet. Separated my brass between Remingtons and Winchesters, and will prime, seat, crimp, and label the test batch tonight.

I have some 200gr RNFP, 225gr TC, and 230gr RN to test as well. What would you say is the best location on these bullet profiles to set the crimp at?

sdelam
11-20-2008, 01:09 PM
I could not get hornady 200g SWc to feed at all in my G36. The lee 230g RN seem to work fine.

Castnshoot
11-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Would it be safe to say that for the .45, TC, RN, and RNFP's work best, and for the .357 Sig, the TC and FP would do the trick in just about any gun?

Papucho
11-20-2008, 03:16 PM
I crimp both the TC and the RN to .472"- .4725. No setbacks whatsoever. My OAL for the RN is 1.250 and the TC I set it up just about where the base of the cone is or in other words, where the taper from the cone starts. I´m not saying you won´t be able to use your SWC´s, only that a lot of us haven´t been able (no mater what we´ve tried) to get them to feed as reliable as we would like in Glock´s, although I´ve read from others (not seen) that they have been able to do so. Good luck!

Castnshoot
11-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Good, I set my crimp at that same measurement. I had that one FTF, but I think that it was due to me not setting up the crimp correctly at first. Even if the bullets don't feed correctly, I'll just shoot them and get the mould that tests best with my barrel.

twidget
11-21-2008, 01:58 AM
I've had good results with an H&G #130 in my Glock 30. There have been no failures to feed or eject with 3.7 gr. of Bullseye and the empties don't go far. I've tries it with up to 4.5 gr. but the lighter load is more pleasant to shoot. Also, the H&G #78 has worked OK, but only 20 rounds with it so far.

Calamity Jake
11-21-2008, 09:22 AM
[QUOTE=Castnshoot;432205]That would be awesome. I'm just now starting to load for it and really just want to find the right recipe, cast, and shoot! :mrgreen:

Send me a PM with your addy, I'll send samples

Will
11-21-2008, 11:22 AM
I was on a pistol team many years ago and the boss loaded the lyman 452488 for us to use for practice. I never had a failure with it but we were using the 45 gold medal which is a diffrent animal from the G30.

Castnshoot
11-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Well, I have my mould in hand. I'm about to clean it up, and if my first smelting session goes right, attempt to cast some. Thing is, I don't have lube for the mould, is this a bad idea? I just want to test cast a couple. Also, must boolits made from Lee moulds be sized?

ddeaton
11-23-2008, 01:53 PM
I shoot 200 and 185gr swc's in my Glock 21 all the time. I have been using Vance boolits off the shelf so far. They feed fine. Let me know if you want some samples of these. I just bought the H&G#68 from the group buy and hope this will get me off buying the Vance's. Nothing against them, I just want to start casting my own. I seat them just proud of the brass, and crimp a tad, so there is no hard lip to catch on. OAL is also 1.25