PDA

View Full Version : Check this out

Jim
11-19-2008, 06:50 AM
Browsing thru Midway's online catalog, I discovered this. I'm not the least bit surprised at $3.40 a piece. What surprised me is the bullet energy in this load.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=523727

James C. Snodgrass
11-19-2008, 06:54 AM
That oughta do the job on bambi and the like .

missionary5155
11-19-2008, 07:01 AM
I am sure this is a fine cartridge.. BUT
For those who care to... get a Round Ball mold and you can reload your own with a far superior penetrating object. Slugs are fine on soft skin critters... but if you ever NEED to SMASH a beasty that just may decide to knaw on you... get a solid lead projectile.

Morgan Astorbilt
11-19-2008, 08:49 AM
I suspect it's a solid slug. Aren't regular (Hollow, Not Brenneke) 12ga. slugs, 1oz., and full bore diameter? Here we have a 1-3/8oz. slug held in a sabot, the main reason for which, I would imagine, is to center the slug in the bore. I think it's an expected variation of the BP sabot loads, which allow modern bullets to be fired in muzzle loaders.
Morgan

missionary5155
11-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Could be my friend.... just read it all... Looks like as far as store bought that could be a Thumper. I would want to test it against some 6 inch oak before I popped it against a large porker shoulder or Croc neck armor. If it is PURE Lead all it is going to do is smash flat on hard stuff. Soft skin critters will easily go down with this slug. Me, I still will go with a round ball..

bobk
11-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Morgan,
Yeah, but you can't get hardcast, and that's what really penetrates. Plus it doesn't deform from the pressure, so I suspect pressure is lower, due to less drag. Can't prove that last statement, though.
Bob K

Morgan Astorbilt
11-19-2008, 10:19 AM
bobk, To paraphrase Bill C., It all depends what they mean by "soft". Are they comparing it to the jacketed bullets that come with the muzzle loader sabots, or do they mean soft lead. Traditional slugs are soft, to pass through a choked barrel. These don't have to be soft, due to the sabots, and the ad states they're made for rifled barrels.
Morgan

Jim
11-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Speaking of round balls, I'm about to order a .690 RB mold. I've been developing a new alloy for the past several months and I'm onto an alloy with a BHN in the upper 40s. That oughta' penetrate, ya' think?