PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 & .416 Taylor?

Three44s
11-19-2008, 02:06 AM
I am contemplating a switch barrel project on a 110 Savage (factory wood stock at the present).

Will the wood stock hold up to the likes of the .416 Taylor???

I am by no means adverse to switching to the Hogue overmold stock either.

I found a barely used consignment in 7mm Rem and have an itch for experimentation.

Three 44s

richbug
11-19-2008, 10:24 AM
I am contemplating a switch barrel project on a 110 Savage (factory wood stock at the present).

Will the wood stock hold up to the likes of the .416 Taylor???

I am by no means adverse to switching to the Hogue overmold stock either.

I found a barely used consignment in 7mm Rem and have an itch for experimentation.

Three 44s

I expect the stock would hold up fine if it is bedded tightly. I dose of accra-glass should do the job.

I bought a new synthetic stocked 7mm mag at Wally World for $175 several years ago with the same intent. The gun would have weighed just over 8 pounds. Common sense prevailed in the end. Not too many rhinos in the neighborhood.

Building a 458 LOTT now, the field mice are playing hell in my garden, I need an appropriate rifle for them.

redneckdan
11-19-2008, 04:33 PM
As any fule kno, only the .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer is adequete for field mice. .458 lott will over penetrate and .22-250 hasn't the energy needed for clean one shot kills....[smilie=1:

frank505
11-19-2008, 07:01 PM
The very best thing that can happen to 7mm Magnum is to rebarrel it to 416 Taylor. The Taylor is a wonderful cast bullet cartridge and mine sure likes to shoot from 335 solids to 400 grain Hornady's and cast 410 to 350's in the same place at 100 yards. Course a 350 Speer at 2600 fps wont fly very flat for the long range crowd......unless they try it. And that 350 Speer will do in buffalo really well and hold together, but oh crap, they dont cost $11.36 apiece(american). Try looking down at a set of pin gauges, ya know the set from .250 to .500. The 338, 358,366,375 really dont look much different, then compare to the .412 and .416, see?

Three44s
11-20-2008, 12:21 AM
Thanks Frank 505 ..... I was hoping you'd drop by ......

But gentlemen ...... this is Boolits!

I love .22-250's and 7mm Rem Mags ...... but for Boolits ??? Naw ........

A while back I started a thread and hpothised a .338 Win mag or a .358 Norma for this task and got an education ....... and came away (thanks to Frank 505) with a healthy respect for the .416 Taylor.

I have brass for both (.338 & .358) but when you factor in boolits ..... they are arguably over bore ......

The .375/.338 would be less so and the .416 Taylor even less ........

I also asked about the .458 Win. mag and got a bunch of complaints that too many of those chambers were throated too far out for cast.

Regards

Three 44s

Johnch
11-21-2008, 12:41 AM
I currently have 4 barrels , 2 bolt heads and 4 scopes using Leupold QRW rings set up for my Savage 110

257 AI ( jacketed only right now ) , 30/06 , 35 Wellen and 375 H&H ( cast only )

IMO the birch stocks are not always up to the abuse of a large cal. , even if properly glass beded
As my birch stock started to split , when I started to work up heavy cast bullet loads in the Wellen

I know have a real nice walnut stock and a Houge overmould stock that I hunt with
Love the looks of the walnut , but almost to pretty to hunt with

I semi perminantly atached the barrel nuts to the barrels with lock tight
So now I don't have to worry about head space or POI change when I switch barrels

Just screw on the barrel , bump the wrench a touch to make sure it is tight
Put the right scope on , grab the corect amm and start hunting

John

Three44s
11-21-2008, 10:45 AM
johnch,

What action length do you have ....... or do you have an extra length one for the .375 H&H???

Thanks in advance

Three 44s

Johnch
11-21-2008, 07:11 PM
I have a late 80's 110 that started out life as a 338 Win mag
A freind cut me the barrel from a blank he had , he also did a little altering on the action and altered a magazine box
So the 375 H&H would fit and feed my cast bullet loads ( never tryed factory )

Not exactly sure what he did as I am not a gunsmith

Also to be honest , I load my cast bullets to 3.4" as listed in my Lyman manual and I have no problems
I tryed loading longer , had feeding problems , unless I use round nose a real small meplate

As this has only been a toy , I never realy felt the need to punish my shoulder more than needed

I did kill a small deer with it a few years back
But with cast loads just exceading a 375 Winchester

John

Dark Helmet
11-21-2008, 10:27 PM
I just wanna screw a 411 KDF barrel on mine

Hardcast416taylor
11-22-2008, 12:00 PM
As if you couldn`t tell by my user name I`m a lover of the Taylor round. I would do a glass job on the Savage stock after I had a stock recoil bolt installed to prevent breakage of the stock. I load RCBS 350 Gr. wq ww gc in mine over 45 Gr. imr 3031 and a mag primer, I`m getting 3 - leaf Irish clovers with 5 shots at 100 yds on a target. I got a letter from Ken Waters telling me to use 50 Gr., this was too hot for my win. 70 rifle. I chased a racoon across a wheat field with these rounds at a distance of about 275 yds. Never got him, but with each shot he ran faster! I`ve read about wq ww gc slugs being loaded to equal loads as the Speer 350, but have never tried it. I`ve been asked why such a big boomer? I reply with asking how many elephants have you had in the garden this year? Brass is easy to make, just run a 458 case up into a Taylor die and presto. Robert Chatfield Taylor developed this round because of poor results with the 458 and a shortage of 416 Rigby rounds in Africa in the 1960`s. I heard somewhere that at one time Rem. was toying with the idea of putting it into production in the late `60s, then they brought out their own 416 and that ended that idea. :-D :castmine: Robert..

Three44s
11-23-2008, 01:35 AM
BINGO:

Quote from Hardcast416taylor,

"I would do a glass job on the Savage stock after I had a stock recoil bolt installed to prevent breakage of the stock."

That's what I thought ....... thanks for the advice!!!

Now my other idea is to buy a Hogue overmolded stock ......any mods necessary for one of these if I use a Savage 110/ .416 Taylor barrel ???

I don't know if Knoxx Industries makes the Savage 110 version on the Hogue overmold but I have read that if Hogue makes "it" in the overmold series .... you can send your stock to Knoxx and they will retrofit their recoil absorbtion system to it.

I "never would have guessed" that a name like Hardcast.416taylor to imply a fettish for something say of the .416 persuasion ........ LOL!!

Regards

Three 44s

James C. Snodgrass
11-23-2008, 07:22 AM
If you don't like the plastic I would call boyds about a laminate .

Three44s
11-23-2008, 12:31 PM
James,

Oh a laminate! ...... that would be very nice!!

One thing about "success" ....... as in MANY rifles made ...... is that success breeds success!

And the Savage 110/10 family is a BIG ONE!

Regards

Three 44s

Dark Helmet
11-23-2008, 12:43 PM
I just wanna screw a 411 KDF barrel on mine

Yesssss, in a Boyd's JRS laminate stock[smilie=1:

Hardcast416taylor
11-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Hey Three44`s, read my post again about the racoon but put your name in in place of the racoon.[smilie=1: Seriously though. Those hardcast 350 gr. boolits will definetly penertate a dead elm tree about 18" thick - completely thru with an exit hole of an 1 1/2 "! My friends, yes I do have friends, call my rifle the "Grin Gun" cause you get a silly assed grin when you shoot it! It does turn in those clover leafs with 5 shots from a bench quite regularly. :castmine: :-D Robert

Uncle Grinch
11-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Three 44s

I had an Interarms MK X in 30-06 and decided to have it rebarrelled to 416 Taylor. Cleo's gunshop did the work for me. I added a Boyds JRS laminated stock and a Leupold 4X scope. In addition, I added a brass cross bolt and had an extra recoil lug added to the barrel under the forearm.

Only shoot cast boolits in it, RCBS 416-350-FN and it does better than I can hold.

Here's a couple of photos....

Three44s
11-24-2008, 12:32 AM
Hardcast.......,

Sounds like fun with that Taylor!!! ..... but I will be real unhappy if you chase me mistakenly instead of that raccoon!! ......... LOL!

And just standing behind a good tree will not do the trick judging from the penetration a good many of you kind folks have witnessed ...........!

And praying for a MISS ........ well that's laughable .... as the accuracy delivered from the .416 Taylor and my fat butt ............ I'm TOAST!

Uncle Grinch,

That's "torture"!!!!

Thank you

Three 44s

Hardcast416taylor
11-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Three 44s. I heard at one time that people living up in all that rain are a mite slow to understand things. As the Grinch from down South has found about the Taylor, and as have other posters on this thread also backed me up saying "It`s a very GOOD round"! I`ve heard about cutting the neck off of 7mm mag. rounds to MAKE Taylor cases. Maybe you could do that with all that 7 brass you obviously have once you get a Taylor made??? I won`t tell you how far my last 175 lb.,live weight, whitetail went after I put a Taylor 350 ww boolit in it at 110 paced yds. OK I will tell you, about 7 or 8 ft. SIDEWAYS with no further advancement. Both lungs were jello and half the heart was gone. A 400+ lb. black bear just plain collapsed at the shot from 45 yds. I kinda of would have liked to see what would have been left of that `coon I chased? I`ve tried all the Barnes and Speer and Hornady J-word stuff. Mine liked the 350 Barnes, heck I`ve still got 100 400 gr. Barnes solids yet. All that stuff will probably be in my estate sale `cause I don`t use em anymore. :castmine::bigsmyl2::redneck:

Three44s
11-25-2008, 12:26 AM
Hardcast......,

No, I was not dissing the .416 Taylor ..... I was extolling it's virtues with some humor on the side.

And rain? About seven inches of moisture here in Eastern Washington ...... PER YEAR!

This is the dry side .... and the conservative side of the state .........

Best Regards

Three 44s

Three44s
11-25-2008, 12:30 AM
Another question for Frank 505:

Did I understand you correctly several months ago that you also cast slugs intended for .41 mag revolvers and shot them (I assume, at reduced velocity) in your .416 Taylor????

Three 44s

Three44s
11-26-2008, 11:11 AM
The Savage 110 is on layaway for a few days.

I tested the trigger before I bit and it's good for an out of the box.

Does ER Shaw make good barrels for these rifles?

Three 44s

frank505
11-26-2008, 12:57 PM
We shot 41 mag jacketed bullets out of 405 Wcfs, havent tried any in the taylor yet..................too many rifles............ not much time.
the rcbs 350 gas check is a wonderful bullet, killed apretty good whitetail this year out of a 416/348 imp model 71 browning(57 grains of 4320) have not chrono'ed it yet. made BIG hole like all the good ones do. maybe too much for whitetails but not for the fuzzy ones that hang out in the same river bottom.
the lee dies will expand 7 mag brass into 416, just use plenty of imperial size die wax and do it two steps, you will lose some, i like to leave them fired in the hills for the 300 super duper mag crowd to find and wonder......................... it really doesnt kick, just shoot it more offhand and sitting, no scope, just a ghost ring peep and a sourdough front sight, never loses zero ,easy to load, easy to carry,etc etc.

frank505
11-26-2008, 12:58 PM
my barrel is the adams and bennet from midway, very accurate and a decent contour for hunting

Hardcast416taylor
11-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Hey Three44s I was just yanking your chain :kidding:. I just like this round and take umbrage at you tree climbers dissing it :groner:. I have tried .41 mag. boolits but could swear, as I often do, I could hear them rattleing as they went down the barrel. Haven`t figured out how to bump their dia. up from 411 to 416 yet. I might paper patch some and try it again. I have several shaw barrels of other cal. and am satisfied with the work they do. My .416 Taylor is a shilen 22" long with a barrel banded fromt sight from NEF I believe and a Williams set non adjustable that I filed down for a 100yd zero. I have a Leupold 1 1/2 X5 European post reticule in a quick removeable mount. I realise it was overkill on the deer, but I just finished the rifle and it was deer season here and well there he was! I`ve been looking at the offerings from NEI in .416 dia. and may yet get another weight or two mould. As I said, my friends call it the "Grin Gun", and don`t really want to give it back when shooting it. Besides, it keeps the elephants around here nervous! :groner: :-) Robert

Three44s
11-27-2008, 01:14 AM
Well ...... I am tired of the elephants eating my wife's garden every night! (Actually my wife is the most irritated by it) ......

Seriously, if the Taylor is just a "heavy plinker" ........ so be it!

Life is short .... live it with GUSTO!!

But I doubt that when I get a .416 put together that it will just be a toy ...... I have spent my life reloading varmint rounds, handgun ....... and not much big game stuff over .270 win ......

....... so it' about time to kick over the traces and let my "hair down"!!!

Frank 505,

My .416 brass will likely come from a good supply of brand new .358 Norma (Norma brand) cases I snagged when the main local gun shop owner retired ........ I also have .338 win brass but with 280 ct. of the .358 Norma's ..... I am likely to leave the .338 alone ......

I would like to a LITTLE MOUSE and see those fellow hunters picking up those .416's and witness the looks on their faces ....... LOL!!!

You refer to the .30 Super Duper crowd. I have several friends as well as my brother in those ranks!!

I have seen some elk that were not so super duper ...... hit with some super duper or another.

I started thinking BIGGER with the .338 in mind ....... but my "conversion to cast" has with your and other member's help here at Boolits caused me to avoid that mistake (.338 and cast) .....

I thank you ALL!

Three 44s

Hardcast416taylor
11-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Hey boys! "Heavy Plinker"??? Okay so I scared a `coon with mine! I`ve used mine for deer, bear, ugly paper targets and just destroying rocks across my gravel pit but c`mon "Heavy Plinker"? Maybe you don`t get enough rain where you abide Three44s? About any case longer than a 458 mag. and using the same head size can be trimmed and sized to the 416. I must be spoiled as I had a supply of 458 mag brass. on hand. I see Lee has the 416 dies available as do most other companies. I plan to have a factory crimp die made by Lee for when I stoke it up with J-word stuff for the BIG field mice in my barn! My attempts with cast boolits for the 338 mag. are as follows. All boolits are Lee 225 gr. WW`s or lino only when stated. Start with 35 gr. XMR5744 and go up to 45 grs. I got from 2000 up to about 2500 fps. The primer was CCI-250 mag. I used 50/50 lead ww/ pb and gc them before heat treating, I used LBT Hard Blue Lube. Another one I use alot is straight Lino for about 210 gr. boolit. I load 41 gr. IMR 4198 with a std CCI 200 primer. I get 2350 fps that equals about 2 - 3 " at 100yds. I`m experimentating with my .338/06 right now for loads for next years deer gun. :twisted:[smilie=w: Robert

Three44s
11-29-2008, 11:15 PM
"............ugly paper targets and just destroying rocks across my gravel pit but c`mon "Heavy Plinker"?

That would qualify as "heavy plinking" .............

So would toppling steel rams (girth enhanced ones) ..........

And yes, an occasional elk with a tougher than average hide ........... LOL!

I have a friend that gets the job of dispatching a buffalo now and then for a local tribe ..... and I might cajole him into downing it with the .416 Taylor .......... providing I can watch! (They won't let non-members in on it) ..............

But the rain comment just does not cut it ...... we get 7" annually here in Central Wa. ...... I would bet a bushel basket of Norweign cookies that in Michigan ...... you get drowned compared to that .......

Best regards

Three 44s

Hardcast416taylor
11-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Three44s, OK I never said I haven`t had wet knees while standing still around here. Got 5" of heavy wet snow on Tues., supposed to rain and snow today! I believe, in my area, we got around 32" of snow last year, and a wet spring. A head shot on a buff with just about any 416 slug would be a sight to see, wish I could be there.:drinks: Robert

Three44s
11-30-2008, 11:45 PM
WELL ....... !

If I can swing this ...... I will just have to take a camera!!!!

Thanks for the idea!

BETTER STILL ....... Dad's digital cam???

(I can sell admission and cut the cost of this project??? ...... )

Just kidding .......

The guy I would have to loan the rifle to is a head shootin' son of a gun ...... but I can't recall if they let him brain'em ....... the manager's of their Buff project a bunch of tight shorts feller's ......

Regards

Three 44s