PDA

View Full Version : First deer with cast

DLCTEX
11-18-2008, 11:22 PM
I took my first deer with cast today. Doe at 80 yds. Double lung shot, hit rib going in , 3/4 in. hole, hit rib going out, 3/4 X 1 1/2 in. hole (boolit tumble?).Pretty well trashed about 1/4 of both lungs. Ran about 75 yds. This was with a Lee 311-170 FP from the mold I got from Junior 1942, in a 30-30, 25 gr. Reloader 7. I missed a doe a few minutes earlier at 200 + yds. I hadn't shot it beyond 100 yds. and figured it would drop some, so I held just over it's back. The boolit hit POA. I missed a large Bobcat yesterday evening as I was almost back to my truck, almost dark. It suddenly burst from a clump of grass about ten yards away. My first thought was Jackrabbit. It circled in front and then to my left, heading for the brush. My hurried shot went just behind him and made him kick in the afterburners. I didn't really need him as the fur isn't prime yet, glad I missed. DALE
Alloy was WD WW, Ideal check.

NSP64
11-19-2008, 12:00 AM
:drinks: Congrats.

missionary5155
11-19-2008, 05:12 AM
WEll Done ! It sure is an enjoyable moment, then memory knowing you did it yourself and can repeat it anytime you wish.

copdills
11-19-2008, 05:19 AM
Congrats Dale good shooting

Castnshoot
11-19-2008, 10:35 AM
I'll start hunting next year and I hope to have a success story to tell with my own cast boolits, but I'm just a meager Boolit Mold myself, not even a Boolit Master. :-(

cabezaverde
11-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Nice Story Dale,

I too took my first cast bullet deer with my Encore ML this season. A medium size 6 point buck.

T/C Maxi Ball I made all by myself.

Now onto my doe tags with my 44 mag SBH and the 265 Ranch Dog bullet.

James C. Snodgrass
11-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Did it make a big thump when it hit ?

cabezaverde
11-19-2008, 11:35 AM
I was actually pretty amazed with the performance.

The shot was a little lower than I would have liked, right on the point of the shoulder. It really put a thumping on that buck.

The maxi broke both shoulders, exploded the heart with the bullet and bone fragments. I flipped the deer over when I got to it to see the exit hole, and there wasn't one. Saw a lump under the hide, and cut my maxi out of it. Weighed 320 grains, vs approx 370 when cast. Mashed almost beyond recognition.

prs
11-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Several years ago my grouse hunting pard told me he and his wife both deer hunted and that she always got a deer with her little .30 surplus carbine. He said the gun was really not adequate and that they had to track down about every deer she takes, but she was recoil sensitive. I offered her the use of my Marlin 1894 lever gun in .45 Colt with ghost ring sight and hand loads I would provide. She tried it and liked it with my hand loads and 250gr PRS boolits over 7.8gr Unique. I got a call the next week and she was so excited -- "my deer just stumbled and fell to his knees when I busted him -- he did not go even ten yards!" "Can I use this with my bore tag?" Got a call a day or two before Christmas, "got my first boar, a really big one -- just like the deer he stumbled to his knees and dropped dead inside of 10 yards -- Santa is gonna bring me one of these guns!!!!" Santa brought her big ole tub of my ammo to ;-)

prs

BlackRifleShooter
11-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Where is the pics? For a man that has killed hundreds of deer, you have no photographioc evidence. My great grandchildren will not even know you hunted. You have been hunting for over 40 years, how many hunting pictures do you have? 1 pic in what? 50+ years of hunting. That is only a pic of you and me with some turkeys..... ok so there is a couple pics of us getting ready to go hunt, but no after action report photos. Your future grandchildren will demand photographic evidence to back up all your hunting tales so quit being so camera shy. Congrats Dad wish I could have been there.

DLCTEX
11-20-2008, 02:37 AM
Well, I read this post after I had processed the deer, guess the photos will have to wait for the buck I saw today. I've got his number, I think, I'll know in a few days.

Shuz
11-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Congratulations Dale, hope you bag many more.
Shuz

jhalcott
11-20-2008, 09:20 PM
That exit hole Could have been caused by rib fragments Dale. I have seen that happen. A big deer in Maine shot with a 311041 died with about 2 or 3" piece of rib sticking out his side.