PDA

View Full Version : dissapointing lyman problems

hornsurgeon
11-18-2008, 09:52 PM
i have been looking for a lyman 457122 hp mold for my 45/70 with no luck. i finally broke down and had my local shop order one for me. first it took 3 weeks to come in. then when i went to clean it i discovered that the hp pin slid forward and back when locked into the mold. i repaired this by machining a bushing washer to go onto the screw in the block that holds the pin in place. when i started casting, every sprue stuck in the sprue plate so bad i had to push it out with a toothpick. the hole in the sprue plate is machined VERY rough. i went and casted up a couple hundred boolits with it this way as i was planning on working up a load asap and use this for our deer season that opens this weekend.

long story short, that won't be happening. when i went to weigh the boolits before lube/sizing, i found the greatest problem of all. the hole in the blocks for the hp pin was off center. not just a fuzz either, but enough to make these inaccurate. i just sent an email off to lyman, we'll see what they have to say for this *** of a mold.

i guess i'll have to use my 25-06 with j-boolits that built on a vz-24 mauser. (sorry guys)

Heavy lead
11-18-2008, 10:19 PM
452424, bought one, junk, fixing it now, should've sent it back, but elected to fix it. Sprue is rough enough to cast small shot on, same problem as you. Odd thing is I bought 3 different 4 cavities a couple months ago, and they are all great moulds. This is the second 452424 I got, and the second junk, so I'm fixing it. BTW it cast a .448 boolit, maybe they made it for those tight throat Rugers

Doc Highwall
11-18-2008, 10:28 PM
I had the same thing happen to me also with the same boolit. I got in my car and drove to Lyman's and traded it for another mould. If you have a lathe you could make a new pin for a hollow point and another one to plug the hole so only a round flat point comes out of the mould. I made a fixture to hollow point boolits by drilling them out, and drilled hollow points are supposed to expand better. For my Marlin I am going to use this 45-500 RCBS

ovendoctor
11-18-2008, 10:35 PM
posted about this awhile ago

the 190 sil mold in 30 cal

had to beagle the mold to drop the slug round

measured the slug at .307x.311[a tad bit out of round]

problem solved? naw just a bunch of liberal bull **** from the engineering dept

so fixed it my self using shim stock of.004 wrapped around one of the blocks to hold the top of the blocks apart

Doc. :redneck:

hornsurgeon
11-19-2008, 07:21 PM
here is the email i got from lyman today. what a load of c##p.

We would have to ask that the mould be returned to us for evaluation. Please
inlcude a short note describing the problem. We apologize for the trouble.
If made improperly, we would certainly replace the mould.
We must say however that it would be very unusual for this to occur as the
hollow point pin hole is drill with a bushing centered inside the cavity. It
is very hard for the pin hole to have been drilled off-center.

Doc Highwall
11-19-2008, 08:14 PM
A loose fitting pin with the pin having it's own run out can add to the problem. Take the screw out of the bottom of the mould that holds the pin in place and with the sprue plate opened look inside the mould while turning the pin and see if you can see run out of the pin. If it is the pin ask Lyman to send you a new one.

hornsurgeon
11-19-2008, 08:21 PM
the pid didn't wobble, it slid back and forth. also the hole in the blocks was drilled off center of the boolit. i did try spinning the pin in the mold while looking down the cavity, and there was runout there as well. yet another problem with it. i will let them have a crack at making me happy first. otherwise i will get a rcbs or saeco and have it converted to hollowpoint.