PDA

View Full Version : Alloying antimony and lead?!

Gunslinger
11-18-2008, 07:43 PM
I've been doing a lotta reading these last few weeks, both here and on Graybeard Outdoors. But I can't seem to find an answer for this particular question.

Since lino is hard to come by these days and I'm almost out, I've started to think about adding pure antimony to pure lead from .22's or/and range lead. (If I can find pure antimony, that is)

I know about the difference in melting points and so on. Also checked out theantimonyman.com, heard he had a method, just couldn't find it.

Couldn't you just have a pot with melted lead, and then just melt the antimony with a blow torch and pour it into the lead while stirring? Has anyone tried it?

JSnover
11-18-2008, 08:17 PM
I've got a few pounds (5-10, maybe?) of Lino but I can't imagine it being cheap to send it to Denmark. I'll weigh it up if anyone's interested.
Most of my lead is either pure or ballast (5% antimony) so the lino is just something I stumbled onto. Seems (to me) the easiest way would be to find some babbit or other metal with a known antimony content and do some simple math to come up with a casting ratio.

runfiverun
11-18-2008, 08:30 PM
to alloy antimony in lead i add my tin first, then hold my pot temp to 600* or so.
add flux [small amount] add antimony [small amount] and stir.
these are basically the same instructions you will get from the antimony man.
i have used marvelux to add antimony also.

DragoonDrake
11-18-2008, 08:42 PM
I have asked this same question.
Add small amounts at a time, do not become discouraged if it does not mix right away. Just flux and flux and flux. You will get the job done eventually.

Adam

Gunslinger
11-19-2008, 02:36 PM
I've got a few pounds (5-10, maybe?) of Lino but I can't imagine it being cheap to send it to Denmark. I'll weigh it up if anyone's interested.
Most of my lead is either pure or ballast (5% antimony) so the lino is just something I stumbled onto. Seems (to me) the easiest way would be to find some babbit or other metal with a known antimony content and do some simple math to come up with a casting ratio.

Yes I think it'd be costly to ship to Denmark

Aha.... I'll give it a try once we're out of lino. How expensive is this antimony anyway?

jahela
11-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Yes I think it'd be costly to ship to Denmark

Aha.... I'll give it a try once we're out of lino. How expensive is this antimony anyway?

Hello neighbour :)

I was in the same situation as you. Don't waste more time thinking about alloying pure antimony. Yes, it should be possible with a special flux, high temperature is necessary anyway. AND attend: it's more toxic than lead!

I was lucky and found a box with 900kg of monotype letters at my local scrap dealer. That's Pb Sb20Sn4. Maybe you'll be lucky too?

Which quantity do you need? Germany is closer than US...

Dirk

JSnover
11-19-2008, 07:05 PM
I haven't priced pure antimony in a while. Bill Ferguson is one source, McMaster-Carr is another. Mister Ferguson had some interesting thoughts on the "best" alloys and he convinced me that it wasn't worth my trouble since I'm not competing with any world-class shooters. He also surprised me when he told me what some of them are shooting.

44man
11-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Antimony melts in real easy with Bill's flux at 600*. You need a little tin to go with it. No more then 2%, more is a waste.
Without the flux you need to get the lead over 1500* and will start to vaporize lead---Dangerous.
Bill's is the best because it is crushed in little nuggets.

Gunslinger
11-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Hello neighbour :)

I was in the same situation as you. Don't waste more time thinking about alloying pure antimony. Yes, it should be possible with a special flux, high temperature is necessary anyway. AND attend: it's more toxic than lead!

I was lucky and found a box with 900kg of monotype letters at my local scrap dealer. That's Pb Sb20Sn4. Maybe you'll be lucky too?

Which quantity do you need? Germany is closer than US...

Dirk

Aber servuss :drinks:

Boy that was lucky!! I have asked around several places, no luck. I even have a hungting buddy who owns a large publishing house, his linotype letters are loooong gone!

Are you offering to sell me a little of yours :-D? I mean... with the amount of letters that has to be added to the lead, no human could work it's way through 900 kg, he he :mrgreen:

Gunslinger
11-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Antimony melts in real easy with Bill's flux at 600*. You need a little tin to go with it. No more then 2%, more is a waste.
Without the flux you need to get the lead over 1500* and will start to vaporize lead---Dangerous.
Bill's is the best because it is crushed in little nuggets.

Aha, so the secret lies in the flux he's developed, thanks :-D