PDA

View Full Version : RCBS sidewinder

Scotty
12-17-2005, 07:46 PM
I have a rcbs sidewinder case tumbler and the motor gets to hot to touch, it says in the book that the motor will run hot but it seems to hot.Anyone have any ideas?

Scotty, :redneck:

SharpsShooter
12-17-2005, 07:57 PM
Is it in a well ventilated area and on a hard flat surface? Some tumblers will get hot if placed on a carpet floor for example because it prevents air from entering or departing the bottom base.

Buckshot
12-18-2005, 06:20 AM
...............If the smoke gets out, you'll know that it did in fact get TOO hot :D Most electrical components are factory equipped with smoke. If the smoke gets out it's toast.

RCBS has sold that unit since well before the vibratory case tumbers appeared on the market so I'll bet they have it figured out.

....................Buckshot

dromia
12-18-2005, 06:45 AM
If I was worried I'd just pop an email to RCBS customer service.

Looking at getting a Sidewinder myself.

I run a couple of rotary tumblers, one a Thumler and the other is an old laqidary type, they work well with dry media but don't do too well with wet, leak a bit.

The sidewinder is angled so should overcome the leak problem, I'm thinking of going wet ceramic for my BP cartridges.

powderburnerr
12-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Dromia,
You wont be sorry if you do ,it is great ,and easy and clean .......... Dean

Bent Ramrod
12-18-2005, 02:05 PM
Scotty,

The motor on my Thumler's gets too hot to touch after a couple hours, but it doesn't seem to be hurt even when I forget and run it overnight.

I put a drop of oil on the bearings every use and make sure there's no great amount of dust in the vent holes, and tumble away.

versifier
12-18-2005, 02:23 PM
Buckshot,
Seems to me I heard the Jamaicans have a voodoo ritual to "put de black smoke back in". Not sure how effective it is, though. Swearing at it doesn't help much. :holysheep