PDA

View Full Version : Tumble Lube ( Homemade )

copdills
11-18-2008, 02:24 AM
First let me say I buy mine from LsStuff and its Great stuff , great price and I have never had a problem with it, but I just wondered if anyone here has ever made their own tumble lube and if they would be willing to share information:castmine:

GabbyM
11-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Another common option is Johnson's Paste Wax. The wood floor care product in yellow can.
You can use it straight or mix it with allox. It's mostly for subsonic pistol loads when used straight.

Boerrancher
11-18-2008, 06:56 PM
Another common option is Johnson's Paste Wax. The wood floor care product in yellow can.
You can use it straight or mix it with allox. It's mostly for subsonic pistol loads when used straight.

I strongly disagree with the statement that JPW is mostly for subsonic pistol loads. It is the only tumble lube I shoot, and the only lube I shoot in my 30-30 and 30-06. I load for my cast boolits just like I do for the J type. My 30-30 load is 30 grs of IMR 4064 behind a Lee 180 gr cast, and 46 gr of the same in my 06 with the same boolit.
The 30-30 is running around 2250 fps, and the 06 is around 2500 fps. I have posted several sub MOA groups here on the board that I have shot with both the 06 and the 30-30. If you size properly and coat the boolits properly with JPW there is no reason 2700+ fps can't be reached with it. Carnuba wax is the best high speed lube there is. I have several hundred rounds through each rifle and have not cleaned either one of them yet. I am not using a hard alloy either. I shoot a 50/50 pure/ww alloy.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

copdills
11-19-2008, 02:23 AM
Thanks for your time pards think I might try johnsons paste wax myself

nextone2
11-19-2008, 12:11 PM
If you were to mix it at home with allox, where would you get it? I know where to get the paste wax but not the allox. Also how much of each if you used paste wax and allox. Thanks in advance.

Ricochet
11-19-2008, 12:55 PM
JPW only contains a small percentage of carnauba wax. The solid residue (most of the paste is naphtha) is mainly microcrystalline paraffin.