PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like casting would be interesting

AW738
11-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Hello all. I just found this board yesterday. I've been reloading for several years but I've never loaded any cast. Can someone tell me about cast vs. jacketed. Pros/Cons.

docone31
11-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Welcome, you will like it here. Lots of folks who really try to help.
My best example.
I have a .303 British Enfield. Apparently, their quality control was rather rushed. In my case, rather than .303 bore, it is .304. That gives me .312 groove diameter instead of .311.
Casting allows me to fire the rifle at the range, and instead of laughter, I get folks who want to try it. I can size my castings to fit the bore. Now, I also paper patch both my .303, and my .30s. That allows me to fire cast loads at low jacketed velocities. My .303 smiles real widely at my patched loads. Great groups, low pressure, clean bore.
I do have .312 jacketed bullets for my Smelly. I have not fired them yet. With my paper patched loads, I have already gotten five reloads on my fired cases. That is about max for this rifle and they show no case head seperation at all. Primers are not showing any pressure signs.
That is why I cast. I get great results. I also have something to talk about with some great folks.
In other words, I can tailor my loads for my rifle with much more precision than using available components.
I get to play with molten metal, dies, all manner of things.
With conventional cast loads, I have to load down. I cannot get any reasonable grouping with standard loads. No biggee, I just like the convience of using jacketed loads.
Sizing.
Once I found the correct sizing, I had a tack driver from an otherwise wall hanger. I don't worry about loading the magazine, I single shot my rifle. I take a long time, enjoy it all, and brag when I do well.
Jacketed bullets are getting costly. I have not gotten some in a long time. I have my back up for when I get lazy.
A well placed shot is better than a fast badly placed shot any time.
There is also the satisfaction of really reloading rather than assembling components.

mooman76
11-18-2008, 12:14 AM
Just a few but if you shoot lead there is pretty much no barrel wear. Cast is a little more difficult to load and shoot than jacketed but pistol is not that much more difficult. The bullet (besides the brass which is reusable) is the most expensive component when reloading rounds so you have the most potential to save money by shooting your cast bullets. There are allot more bullet choices with cast. There are allot more but I'll let someone else chip in.

Buckshot
11-18-2008, 12:55 AM
Hello all. I just found this board yesterday. I've been reloading for several years but I've never loaded any cast. Can someone tell me about cast vs. jacketed. Pros/Cons.

................Dang! Talk about luck, we just started yesterday:kidding: From what I've recently seen you can darn near buy an iron mould for what 100 jacketed slugs cost. However I think casting appeals most to those who enjoy using their hands and/or are wired to be a bit on the creative side. If you're married to the television then not having time is a good excuse to not cast.

For me I like the idea of having not one or 2 boxes of bullets to reload but many different kinds/types and measured in 20 lb lots. Possibly a security issue :-)? Cast answers the need in handguns, fully equaling jacketed for probably 90% of a person's normal shooting needs. With high power centerfire rifles there IS a limit to cast, but it isn't 1600 fps. The beauty of it is you can get in a LOT of trigger time and cause less wear and tear on you and the firearm for a fraction of the cost.

For the old big bores or transitional military rifles, cast will do it all, as that is what they were designed around. Consider that previous to about 1885 all wars were fought, all animals taken, all lives protected with, and all bad guys had their careers ended with a cast lead boolit when a firearm was used.

....................Buckshot

crabo
11-18-2008, 02:06 AM
You should do yourself a favor and leave while you have the chance. If you continue to read and study the material in these posts, you are doomed. The next thing you will be hanging out in the group buys section and raiding your kids college funds to buy molds that you have to wait 9 months to get.

It should be a warning that people who spell bullet "boolit" aren't quite right. Get away while you still can.

copdills
11-18-2008, 02:11 AM
run while you can , this can only turn into a habit LOL

from another brother of the silver stream and its BOOLITS LOL

missionary5155
11-18-2008, 04:38 AM
INDEPENDENCE ! I am a slave to no ammo company. Now if I can figure a safe way to make primers... then tackle powder.
The CASTORS ! Those that I know are fine people ready to help, encourage, share info.
ADAPTABILITY ! Not all bores were created equal. Casting gives you the means to fire and reload any caliber present or ancient with an accurate projectile of your desired wieght.
PLAIN FUN ! I made... itīs mine... and it works better than ever.
AFFORDABILITY ! I can reload a cartridge for pennies and recycle my lead to infinity (if I shoot it into my washout backstop) .

PatMarlin
11-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Welcome to cast boolit heaven AW738... :drinks:

The real satisfaction in addition to all the above comes when you take your first game and put meat on the table with your cast boolit. Like making lumber with my first log- it was a true feeling of acomplishment.

Le Loup Solitaire
11-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Hi, There are many reasons to list that are in favor of casting your own bullets. And a lot of them are already given by other forum members. In addition to those reasons given I would add that in the case of some of the calibers that I shoot...if I didn't cast my own and load them then some of my rifles would not be shootable as there is no commercial ammo source for them. So don't hesitate to jump in and "join the sickness". You will enjoy the hobby and the savings. LLS

Southern Son
11-19-2008, 05:08 AM
Cast V's Jacketed, let me see.

Cast - Slave away over a pot of molten metal, possibly inhailing toxic fumes, covering the neighbourhood with toxic smoke when you flux, repeatedly burning yourself on hot moulds/boolits/molten lead/etc., frustration when you just can't get a mould to cast for some unknown reason, an almost irrisistable urge to steal wheel weights from anywhere and everywhere......

Jacketed - walk into gunshop, hand money to clerk, walk away with effective and accurate projectiles.......

Cast seems to win just about anyway you look at it. God I am glad I cast!!!!!!

Castnshoot
11-19-2008, 11:26 AM
I haven't cast any bullets myself yet, but I am well on my way. I do shoot cast exclusively, it's more economical, shoots better, and easier on your barrel. Casting is the only way I can get to shoot my .357 Sig and .45 ACP into infinity, and beyond, without having to throw my pocket there with them.

Hardcast416taylor
11-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Let`s see how many ways or reasons to cast are there that made me bald? Of course there is finding ww from tire shops that aren`t "green". There is the thrill of making fire when fluxing with wax. The joy of minor oops burns. The frustration of wrinkled bullets. And finally the satisfaction of putting holes on a target or taking game with a boolit that YOU made from a chunk of lead! Believe me that feeling is akin to seeing my first newborn daughter.:castmine:

lunicy
11-19-2008, 12:26 PM
jacketed cost money, cast is free (or real close)
jacketed is not perfect in any rifle, just ok, cast is made for your rifle.
Molten lead hurts and chicks dig scars.

Mostly casting is an independence and money thing. Making the exact bullet for your gun is the holy grail. Besides, it's perfect for tinkerers.

It's a whole new hobby. You're stuck now. You're addicted and no rehab will help. It won't be long and you'll be cruising parking lots at 3am for wheel weights.

I need wheelweights, I'm getting the shakes. I'll be back later......:mrgreen:

kodiak1
11-19-2008, 12:30 PM
AW if you live a normal layed back life style and have very little stress you might want to rethink getting into casting!!!!!!
Once you get started the cost of pots, molds, hardness testers, sizer, dies, top punches and lead you will start casting get so relaxed you will drop off into a coma!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Casting and reloading are my stress relief.

Welcome and good luck Ken.

PatMarlin
11-19-2008, 12:55 PM
You guys are sick. Need some serious help in case you didn't know.

jonk
11-19-2008, 02:06 PM
I do not shoot either exclusively. When I shoot jacketed, it is because I get a deal (like Wideners selling .311 bullets for $152/2000 delivered), or because for some reason, be it a rough bore or what not, cast just won't perform.

I'd say I shoot about 60% cast 40% jacketed.

So for me it is mainly a cost thing. If I can shoot cheaper, why not? The fun of doing it is a secondary concern.