PDA

View Full Version : How tuff are you?

georgewxxx
11-17-2008, 09:49 PM
How much gun can you handle? Check out this You-Tube video. I believe it part of the Accurate reloading forums on the net.....geo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qHvHAnW5xM

AZ-Stew
11-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Anyone know what the base cartridge is for the .577 Tyranosaur?

Regards,

Stew

OeldeWolf
11-17-2008, 11:23 PM
COTW lists this as having been an entirely new cartridge. The Handbook of Cartridge Conversions does not even list it.

Hope this helps a tad.

georgewxxx
11-18-2008, 12:13 AM
I remember reviewing Accurate forum and looking at their videos 3 years ago and they were testing it out then. If you log on to their forum you might come up with when etc.....Geo

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve

The Double D
11-18-2008, 12:14 AM
The case is a proprietary A-Square rimless case. Head diameter is .688, case OAL is 2.990.
Expected velocity of a 750 gr. A-Square Monolithic solid is 2470 fps.

MtGun44
11-18-2008, 12:27 AM
Looks pretty insane. Too bad all the T Rexs are gone. . . . .[smilie=1:

Reminds me of asking Mark Serbu if he had ever fired one of his .50 BMG
rifles without a muzzle brake. We were walking across the factory, him in
the lead and he stopped short and turned around and said "Once", in a
slightly ominous tone of voice.

I ask - "What was it like?"

He looked off in the distance and thought for a second - " A car wreck." :shock:

Yikes!

No thanks. Check out Serbu firearms, they have a web page. Never shot
one of theirs, but did shoot a .50 BMG with a nice brake. Piece of cake, but
make sure the benches on either side are clear, the brake blast dumped a
FULL box of 50 .308 loaded rounds in an MTM box off of the NEXT bench,
about 5 ft away!

Looks like the .577 is up in that category - GOTTA have a brake.

Bill

Dorf
11-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Post #6-- +1 :-0 I tried spotting for a guy shooting a single shot .50 BMG at 500yd target. The muzzle blast was so bad that I couldn't keep from blinking, even with muffs and ear plugs! And I was standing 15' directly behind him! He also cleaned a table off that was close to the bench. I declined an invitation to shoot -- yep, you betcha, I'm very recoil conscious!

1Shirt
11-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Ya just have to wonder about things like this and why folk keep coming up with same. Think it must be some kind of punishment wish beyond the " I did it because I could factor". I am getting old and I would hope wiser, as there was a day when I said "if it has a trigger, I am willing to put it to my shoulder and pull it!". Them days are long gone. When it first came out, had to buy a new 7mm Rem, but when I hunted Africa a year ago, what I took was a 7x57 Ruger with a 375H&H back up rifle. Took 10 head of African game all with 7x57, and only fired sighter rounds with the 375. Like the old Pa. Dutch saying: "Ve get too soon old, and to late smart", unfortunately. Gotta admit however that I do like watching dumb people punish themselfs with gigundus powerhouse fire arms in those videos. Must be my sadistic side.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

OeldeWolf
11-18-2008, 11:16 PM
The stated reason for developing this cartridge was as a "stopping gun" for dangerous game. Something that could put down a charging rhino or cape buffalo with one quick shot.

The literature says that when fired from a 13 pound rifle, the which also having 3 mercury filled recoil dampeners, the recoil was slightly less than a weatherby MkV in .416 weatherby.

Unless I had a need for it, I would not want to shoot it. But that heavy stock with the recoil buffers AND a muzzle brake, might make it more manageable. But I have never seen a picture of a pro-hunter or a Guide carrying something with a muzzle brake. Might be unwieldy.

cowboy
11-19-2008, 12:12 AM
Howdy-
My 416 Rigby CZ550 is rough enough, and yet Remington came out with their 416 Remington, operating at higher pressures, and still there are the monster killers like the 460 Weatherby.
Need a brake for my Rigby!

44man
11-19-2008, 02:05 PM
What a lot of guys do not understand is some of those monster guns can tear your retinas loose and even tear the ligaments holding your heart in place. There is a point where you just have to quit and not show how tough you are.

OeldeWolf
11-19-2008, 11:20 PM
For what it was intended for. rarely being shot, and definitely not on a frequent basis, it is fine. But if someone wanted to shoot it on a weekly basis, the physical damage would certainly be a problem. :)

EMC45
11-20-2008, 07:30 AM
What a lot of guys do not understand is some of those monster guns can tear your retinas loose and even tear the ligaments holding your heart in place. There is a point where you just have to quit and not show how tough you are.

I have also heard the 3.5 in mag turkey loads were tearing retinas loose as well.

James C. Snodgrass
11-20-2008, 07:53 AM
[smilie=1:I like my 458 Lott . But like you say it is not a thing you shoot full tilt all the time . A person can and should down load and become accustomed to it for a while then work your way up . Wound up off a bench you want a mouth piece so your teeth don't rattle or chip . A bunch of bench time ain't needed for a rifle like this though . In my opinion a muzzle brake bugs me worse than the recoil but that is just me it makes my sinuses feel all goofed up ? James

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-21-2008, 01:35 AM
Maybe I should post a few of me and others shooting my wildcat 550 Gibbs in a 10.5lb Enfield.
I think a good picture is available at the accurate reloading forum, search Hoot-n-Shoot thread.
It does have a mercury recoil reducer in the stock. 750gr bronze alloy solid at 2550fps or so.

First real cannon I ever helped build.

Rich

leadeye
11-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Shot a 460 Weatherby loaded with 500 grain solids a few times down at the Atterbury range. It kicked hard and certainly was loud from the grimaces I saw on people's faces a few stalls over. My right shoulder was bruised something fierce when I got home. That was twenty years ago and I would imagine it would not be any easier today. Can't imagine what it would be like on the recieving end of that round.

buck1
11-23-2008, 10:36 AM
.577......Tuff or dumb?? LOL