PDA

View Full Version : Tape over muzzle

cabezaverde
11-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Does anyone use the tape over the muzzle covering the bore trick?

Deer hunting this afternoon, I was watching the occasional snow flake go right down the barrel of my muzzle loader.

docone31
11-17-2008, 07:28 PM
It actually works pretty well. I used electrical tape. Once, I went ass over banbox. Bore stayed clear. I have fallen before and plugged the bore with mud. It seems to make no difference on firing.

cabezaverde
11-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Having a little trouble with the edit function. My question is: if you have used it, how does it work out?

mikenbarb
11-17-2008, 07:31 PM
I use it with my BP, Sluggun and rifles when its crappy out. I use the blue painters tape so it dont make it cruddy. I usualy put a pinhole in it to make sure theres no pressure buildup unless its a downpour and then I just leave it a little loose on the edges when I put it on the barrel.

shotman
11-17-2008, 07:37 PM
We use the stick on dots . Like you see for mailing fliers or marking folders , but tape will work fine. rick

Hammer47
11-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Dunno about tape but in Nam we just rolled a condom over the muzzle of the M16. Seemed to keep the crap out and took care of Charlie ok.:-D

jhalcott
11-17-2008, 08:36 PM
I doubt that little piece of tape can generate any back pressure on/in a rifle bore. It would likely just blow off IF pressures got above it's burst level. Those dots may NOT be water proof. I use either electrical or cellophane tape. I used to hunt in all weather,now I prefer cool and DRY to wet and COLD! The condom thing does a great job also.

missionary5155
11-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Try a simple experiment.. Tape shut the end of a piece of plastic water pipe. Fit a compressed air hose on the other end... turn on the air. The tape will fly off. Ya think maybe a steel barrel is stronger than plastic water pipe ? Tape only has Xlbs of tinzle strength.
Mr. Browning used the AIR PRESSURE in front of a fired bullet in a lever action rifle to function a specialy modified action. This became the prototype for the Colt "POTATOE Digger" machine gun. A taped muzzle does not constitute a blocked barrel (internal)...

DLCTEX
11-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Black baloons are good. Works on my rifles with no problems. DALE

870TC
11-17-2008, 08:55 PM
I buy the black rubber, ready made muzzle covers I believe TC makes them. They are in the muzzle loading section of my local gun shop. They look like the individual finger gloves the doctors use to have. Roll right over the muzzle, and shoot them off.

11-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Have used electrical tape for years for hunting, haven't noticed any problems. The air in front of bullet just blows thru it. Beats the heck out of a bore obstruction dog knot.

Johnch
11-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Tape , Ballon , Condom
I use a finger from a Laytex glove

They all to the job and are cheap

John

clodhopper
11-17-2008, 09:53 PM
I used freezer tape for years and did testing with two centerfire rifles. Found no change of impact with or without tape. Usually carry extra tape stuck to the forend ahead of the sling swivel. Freezer tape can be peeled off the stock and put over the muzzle in very cold weather.
Where I hunt more barrels are damaged from the lack of tape than the wrong tape.

JeffinNZ
11-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Dunno about tape but in Nam we just rolled a condom over the muzzle of the M16. Seemed to keep the crap out and took care of Charlie ok.:-D

I like folk who practice safe shooting. [smilie=1::drinks:

xr650
11-17-2008, 10:54 PM
I use the green water grenade balloons. :)

Blammer
11-17-2008, 11:19 PM
I use black electrical tape, one over the end and several wraps around the barrel for a "redo" after the first shot.

Gohon
11-18-2008, 12:46 AM
Dunno about tape but in Nam we just rolled a condom over the muzzle of the M16. Seemed to keep the crap out and took care of Charlie ok

Hey Hammer47, I remember doing that also but we quickly discovered the size small made in the USA would still fall off so we got a hold of the size extra large made in France and they stayed on nice and snug. :wink:

kir_kenix
11-18-2008, 01:01 AM
I've always used balloons as well. They keep the crud out of the barrel, and don't make any sort of noticable difference down range.

PatMarlin
11-18-2008, 08:48 AM
hey hammer47, i remember doing that also but we quickly discovered the size small made in the usa would still fall off so we got a hold of the size extra large made in france and they stayed on nice and snug. :wink:

....lol

StrawHat
11-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Electrical tape has been used by my family for quite a while. One strip over the muzzle and a couple of wraps around the barrel to hold the muzzle tape in place and as replacements after a shot.

blackthorn
11-18-2008, 05:16 PM
I started using electrical tape years ago after we came in from a day in the bush and my friend found a 6 inch twig jammed down his barrel. Jammed in and broke off about 1/2 inch below the muzzle, so could have been real bad news.

Hammer47
11-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Hey Hammer47, I remember doing that also but we quickly discovered the size small made in the USA would still fall off so we got a hold of the size extra large made in France and they stayed on nice and snug. :wink:

[smilie=l:.........I don't care who you are, that's FUNNY

PatMarlin
11-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Heard the VC couldn't use them even ...:mrgreen: