PDA

View Full Version : Just one of those days

jonk
11-17-2008, 11:56 AM
So yesterday I figured I'd resize all my 30/40 brass, maybe 80 pieces in total right? Lee dies, lee lube, Rockchucker press. Something I've done a hundred times before, or at least a dozen times with this die set right?

So I size a few and the decapper rod pulls out and gets stuck in the case. WTH? I've had this happen 2, 3 times in my years of reloading. Not a problem says I. Bang bang, hammer it into the case, slop some more lube in, loosen the collet, resinert it, tighten the collet as hard as I can... ok, works fine.

Now this was irritating the first time but then proceeded to happen another half dozen times!

All this was cleaned, tumbled brass. I lubed inside each case neck using a Q tip. There was no binding on the outside of the case, just the neck. Using dies I've used a lot before.

Very strange. The gods just weren't with me yesterday.

Finally the last 20 cases or so I got out the Lanolin and used that on the inside case necks. Slick as butter as always but a pain to use and a pain to remove.

I did get some nice .329 and .357 casting done though.

kir_kenix
11-17-2008, 12:03 PM
I've had plenty of days like this. I usually just leave whatever is irritating me on the bench and move on to something else. When ever I go back to what I left on the bench, it always seem alot easier when I go back to that project.

1Shirt
11-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Kind of like the wording on the pregnant ladies sweat shirt that says:
"Poo Poo Occurs"
1Shirt!

montana_charlie
11-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Sounds like it's time to anneal those necks...?
CM

jonk
11-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Sounds like it's time to anneal those necks...?
CM

Hadn't thought of it; for some of them you are probably right, but 50 of the 80 are once fired. Now, how long those had been sitting on the gun store shelf is another question.... :)

Pepe Ray
11-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Hi There Jonk'
That collet should hold the Titanic, UNLESS you've accidentally gotten some lube in the jaws or on the shaft w/i the jaws. IIWM I'd super clean those parts and try again.
Pepe Ray

blackthorn
11-18-2008, 05:04 PM
If I undertand correctly, the decapper pin pulled out of the collet on the end of the stem? Whenever I have had that happen I have found that the flash hole was just a hair too small, or my pin was just a hair too big. The fix, for me, was to use a smaller diameter pin. Have a good day.

C1PNR
11-21-2008, 05:16 PM
One of the things that I do, that drives some people crazy, is to use a flash hole reamer on all "new to me" brass. It's something I can do when just sitting outside, by myself, enjoying the day.

I don't do it as part of looking for the perfect load, but rather just as a practical way to eliminate some of the hassles of hand loading.

Pepe Ray
11-21-2008, 09:00 PM
C1PNR;
I too, have pulled decapping pins from RCBS dies in a small Norma flash hole but, Jonk is using Lee dies where the collet holding the decapping stem is in the top of the die and holds the entire stem. Even if the snug fit is in the flash hole the collet should hold. He's implied that this isn't the first time these cases have been processed. I'm sticking with my guess.;)
Pepe Ray

runfiverun
11-21-2008, 10:12 PM
this is the reason that hornady put a thread like finish on their flsizers i would suggest you do the same type of thing.