PDA

View Full Version : A press you don't commonly encounter...

Andy Griffith
02-13-2020, 12:17 PM
I thought I had really found something...but come to find out, that I did find something, but not what I thought it was. :?

I believe, from all the referece material I can find on it, this is a Lyman Tru-Line "Senior" press- which is very uncommon. I've seen lots of the Tru-line "Junior" presses, but not one of these. It came from a real old time Camp Perry match guy, and it a part of a trove of stuff I'm starting to go through. Problem is, there are no dies or anything to go with it that I've found.

Does anyone have one of these currently? Know how dies are fitted, etc?
Thanks!

Pressman
02-13-2020, 02:51 PM
I have half a dozen or so, Senior and the Armory presses.
Yours is a post war press. The Senior started out in 1935 when then Armory press was dropped.
Both use the same dies. You may half to get access to the house the tools came from to locate the dies,
They are there somewhere. But they look like nothing anyone will recognize and could get pitched.

Pictured is a pre-war Senior with the dies for 30-06.

I have several magazine articles discussing these presses, you can get copies if you PM me an email address.

smithnframe
04-19-2020, 03:01 PM
Don't they use the same dies as the tru-line junior?

Pressman
04-19-2020, 05:16 PM
No, not at all. They use the old Armory press dies. See the picture above, there are dies in front of the press. They load good ammo, but the dies were a complicated system.

ascast
04-21-2020, 07:37 PM
Pressman, if it's not too much to ask, could you email me the same info bundle? Especially a good pic of a typical dies set. I too have started collecting old presses. "Seniors" are in fact not common at all, but I think the dies sets float by on the auction houses every now and again. Not sure though.
thanks

Green Frog
04-24-2020, 10:36 AM
There was a set of these dies on eBay a day or two ago, it might be worth a look. :coffeecom

Froggie

sharps4590
04-24-2020, 03:43 PM
I didn't even know they made a "Senior" press and I've only seen 3-4 Junior's over the years. Nice find!! Hope you can come up with some dies.

ascast
04-24-2020, 03:52 PM
There was a set of these dies on eBay a day or two ago, it might be worth a look. :coffeecom

Froggie

that's what I was thinking, but not the EZ Loader, 2- 310's and an upside down full sizer

sackettboys
05-26-2020, 08:43 PM
I've seen the Lyman Senior press mentioned in several threads but this is the first time I've seen one.